Opinion Best and worst memory/game in your GFC supporting history

Remove this Banner Ad

Our last 2 days at Princes Park were pretty bleak.

Rd 22, 2001 was the Milburn game most people remember.

Rd 2, 2004 we had bad injuries and an incredibly young team got pumped by a terrible Carlton team. You never would've guessed our next loss in Victoria would be the prelim final.

Hopefully Thursday goes better than those days.
Carlton will crash and burn like they always do. Who knows if that starts Thursday, but it would be good if we could get that ball rolling nice and early.

Last 20 years , all in all , utterly fantastic , home and away and the 4 flags

Prior to then , there was some good periods , Blight era , plenty of big wins etc

The 70s was Geelongs worst era , a game i went to in 79 against Haw at Princess Park, Hawks kicked the 1st 11 goals i think and i will put my house on it that Bryan Cousins ( Bens father ) kicked Geelongs 1st goal of the match in the 2nd tr - not the Heatley stand end , the other end , i can still picture him kicking that goal

In 68 i was taken to 2 away games , Essendon who were a very strong tream , and that ground was a graveyard for Geel - so they lost but it was an ok effort . Gareth Andrews in the 2nd qtr strode up to the umpire - held out the ball complaining it was flat , then Barry Davis kicked a 60 metre drop kick with it - hah

Also that year went to the Western Oval , Footscray were no good at all , and Geel were right near the top , and that is about as bad a loss as ive seen , something like 18 goals to 5 their way - , absolute gale blowing and they kicked the 1st 6 and it was all over , that game might have given a hint of a few cracks in the side , and they were on the way down as a top side

As for great home and away wins - then 1980 did the double over Nth Melb who were a powerhouse - went to both of them - Arden St early in the year - and the return game at KP - AT qtr time a freak storm hit , torrential rain , lightning , gale force winds , the crowd deserted - and i think Nth Melb were scoreless after half time

I actually love watching that game. I probably wouldn't if we lost the granny. I was bitter when the siren went but also thought, they won't start 5 goals ahead again. Genuine football highlight even though we lost. The atmosphere was insane and two genuine heavyweight (talent wise) teams.
That first quarter they blew us off the park. Up by five goals or so weren't they? I think we had some very late outs just that morning and so we were a bit unsettled. Came back and nearly pinched it!

That first quarter they blew us off the park. Up by five goals or so weren't they? I think we had some very late outs just that morning and so we were a bit unsettled. Came back and nearly pinched it!
then we gathered more injuries and outs and then lost to brisbane the next week!

Yeah they kicked the first 5. I can't remember who was out but I think you're. Clinton Jones was playing on Gaz and kept him pretty quiet, even kicked a goal on him. Riewoldt kicked a long goal from outside 50 and Gardiner took that epic mark to win it and knocked out Taylor in the process. Gardiner stitched us up, Ottens probably didn't play.

Best: 2007 QF, 2007 PF, 2007 GF, 2022 GF, Rohan goal after siren, 2022 QF, 222 vs Tigers, 186 vs Dees, 2016 QF, 2022 vs Tigers

Worst: 2008 GF, 2010 PF, 2013 PF, 2012 EF, 2016 PF, 2019 PF

Idk, have way too many to list. A lot more good than bad for fans post-90s.

Yeah they kicked the first 5. I can't remember who was out but I think you're. Clinton Jones was playing on Gaz and kept him pretty quiet, even kicked a goal on him. Riewoldt kicked a long goal from outside 50 and Gardiner took that epic mark to win it and knocked out Taylor in the process. Gardiner stitched us up, Ottens probably didn't play.

Stevie J was a late out that day

Not including finals:

Best: Round 1, 1999 vs Kangaroos (coming back from 40 points twice to win by a goal), Round 17, 2009 vs Hawthorn, 2004 vs Brisbane when we beat the reigning triple premiers after years of being bullied and just physically battered by them - was a real coming of age and a sign of things to come.

Worst: A game vs Freo in the early 2000s. Freo implemented a game plan of keepings off where they'd take a mark, set up a huddle 40m further up the ground, and then block for someone to break clear and take an uncontested mark, and rinse and repeat for pretty much the entire game. Was obviously effective for them, but was boring to watch. Also a game against the Bulldogs in the early 2000s when they were on the bottom of the ladder and absolutely smashed us. I think they were 10 goals up at 3/4 time before putting the cue in the rack in the last quarter and allowed us to add some respectability to the scoreboard, and ended up losing by 2-3 goals.

Worst?

I think it was my first live game.

1969 PF vs Tiggers.

Standing room 14yo by myself.

Wadey got 5 (out of 7), we lost 25.17 to 7.7.

I think someone pissed on me, but the Gods certainly pissed on the Cats that day.

Best? 22 GF would go close.

Worst?

1969 PF vs Tiggers.

I think someone pissed on me, but the Gods certainly pissed on the Cats that day.

Ist Semi, I think

But you're right, our worst ever performance by miles, nothing else even comes close:mad:

Probably the worst moment was when Menzel did his knee the 2nd time halfway through his return match in the VFL. It was like the oxygen got sucked out of the arena when he went down. Put a massive dampener on the rest of the day.

Probably the worst moment was when Menzel did his knee the 2nd time halfway through his return match in the VFL. It was like the oxygen got sucked out of the arena when he went down. Put a massive dampener on the rest of the day.
we only just beat the new gws as well, think they were in front at half time, in the game after, normally we would've flogged them

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not including finals:

Best: Round 1, 1999 vs Kangaroos (coming back from 40 points twice to win by a goal), Round 17, 2009 vs Hawthorn, 2004 vs Brisbane when we beat the reigning triple premiers after years of being bullied and just physically battered by them - was a real coming of age and a sign of things to come.

Worst: A game vs Freo in the early 2000s. Freo implemented a game plan of keepings off where they'd take a mark, set up a huddle 40m further up the ground, and then block for someone to break clear and take an uncontested mark, and rinse and repeat for pretty much the entire game. Was obviously effective for them, but was boring to watch. Also a game against the Bulldogs in the early 2000s when they were on the bottom of the ladder and absolutely smashed us. I think they were 10 goals up at 3/4 time before putting the cue in the rack in the last quarter and allowed us to add some respectability to the scoreboard, and ended up losing by 2-3 goals.

I was at that 2004 game vs the Lions. I told my friend who booked everything "#%$#@, I don't need to fly 2 and a half hours to watch the Lions pump us again - I see that every year already". Ended up ecstatic to be at the breakthrough - we'd lost the last 10 against them or something like that.

On the flip side, got to witness the "Miracle on Grass"...but no game will live in my memory like the 2008 GF (unfortunately).

Was watching the 2011 GF again the other day and realized the final margin kind of obscures how deep we had to dig to win that. JPod injured early, Cloke kicking 65m goals at will, umps pulling hard for Collingwood, and we were 3 goals down nearing half time.
One of our greatest wins definitely, underrated GF due to a late blowout but the first 3qtrs probably the best GF this century

Was watching the 2011 GF again the other day and realized the final margin kind of obscures how deep we had to dig to win that. JPod injured early, Cloke kicking 65m goals at will, umps pulling hard for Collingwood, and we were 3 goals down nearing half time.

That's got to be the highest quality GF in living memory. The Pies were a great side and couldn't miss that day. Even when they did miss they were sometimes given the goal (hello Wellingham). But we still found a way and from late in the second absolutely dominated.

I'll go for a couple of non finals games (sticking to this century) to be different:

Best: I was pretty close to Peter Riccardi for the goal after the siren kick against Carlton in 2002. We didn't have too much to celebrate around that time besides playing some exciting kids.

Worst: That dreadful game against Collingwood in 2006 where we lost by over 100 points. I also attended that one and after the promise/heartbreak of '04/'05, being at this one I thought "we're in for a dire few years". How wrong I was.

That was also Buddha Hocking’s last ever game. I was there in the rain by myself to send off a legend and we got smashed. Of course the Milburn incident too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nah Hocking's last game was at KP

Garry Hocking's last game 26 Aug 2001, Geelong v Brisbane

I'll go for a couple of non finals games (sticking to this century) to be different:

Best: I was pretty close to Peter Riccardi for the goal after the siren kick against Carlton in 2002. We didn't have too much to celebrate around that time besides playing some exciting kids.
Was walking down the stairs from L3 at Etihad during that kick, cause was so pissed from that bs 50M penalty Carlton got. :$

Ist Semi, I think

But you're right, our worst ever performance by miles, nothing else even comes close:mad:
You're probably right Fred on the Semi, but I didn't check as I don't really want to know. A miserable outing, but Wadey was great and I got to do a few work things with him years later. A delightful fellow

Our last 2 days at Princes Park were pretty bleak.

Rd 22, 2001 was the Milburn game most people remember.

Rd 2, 2004 we had bad injuries and an incredibly young team got pumped by a terrible Carlton team. You never would've guessed our next loss in Victoria would be the prelim final.

Hopefully Thursday goes better than those days.

That was the game I was going to nominate. For some reason the feeling leaving that day was really horrible.

Of course in hindsight it wasn't nearly so bad - we finished top 4 that year.

Best? Excluding finals, I reckon smashing Collingwood in 1989 at the MCG when Ablett ripped them apart (all match, but especially the last quarter). In that era it was a real 'big' game, and to see the entire footy world realise one player was just miles ahead of everyone else was something very special to witness.

Worst?

1969 PF vs Tiggers.

I've always heard from older fans that the team literally had a fistfight among themselves on the bus to the ground that day, but no idea how true it really is.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back