Opinion Best and worst memory/game in your GFC supporting history

Remove this Banner Ad

Apart from the 07, 09,11, 22 GF wins,
some memorable POSITIVE games for me include-
-the 2002 VFL GF with our future champs, a promise of future success
-the 07 VFL GF, The Tom Lonergan show- 7 goals, and an absolute tear jerking speech after the win.
-the Brian Peake game, we smashed NM and looked set for a top 2 finish.
-the Riccardi kick after the siren to pinch it back from the Blues
-the Bartel behind v Hawks in 09, best behind ever, guaranteed Hawks missed finals.
-the Tomahawk goal after the siren , again v Hawks; an amazing topsy-turvy game

As far as worst games, and apart from all the GF losses
-the 08 GF , hands down, the worst
-the 69 final v Tigers, we were appalling. I'd spent 2 wet nights and days lining up at KP for tickets
-the Milburn SOS game. Embarrassing.
-the 06 game v Pies- effort appeared non-existent, left at half time.
-watching Menzel do his knee several times; a brilliant player whose career was annihilated by injury.

Witnessing the greatest turnaround in football history, (170 points)1989, those 2 finals games v Bombers were unreal, went to both.

Hmm, maybe not best but I think my fondest memory is of beating carlton at the dome, when riccardi kicked a wobbler after the siren to win. I think we almost threw away a 40pt lead. Just a great atmosphere, I remember lots of random cats fans hugging with joy.
Suck it carlton :p

Worst....jeez I saw a few in the early 2000s but I think the 2008 GF hurts the most. Just a ridiculous choke from a brilliant team that really didn't choke. Oh well.
If non GF, then the bloody nick davis game.
If non final....maybe the 50pt comeback by the eagles at KP.

One of the best I saw was in 1980...Yes 1980. Cats v North at Kardinia Park. Pouring rain and Cats kept North to 4.3, beating them by 57 points. Ian Nankervis was brilliant, but the best part was Ron Barassi after the game declaring the Cats were a "really good team".

Worst game - any finals loss to Richmond, and the first one I saw as a kid was the 1969 1st Semi where Cats were trounced.

Ablett hand of god 94 Prelim
"there is no justice in football, that is the look on the face of Michael Martyn. The master all day and this game will be remembered for this kick" - Dennis Cometti.

Best is the 2022 Grand Final. If we hadn't have won, it would have been another huge wasted period like '89 - '97. Selwood being a premiership captain in his last game, Danger winning a premiership etc. Just the best and against all odds.

Worst was the 1992 Grand Final. First one I watched us lose and it was so painful just seeing it slip away, and the fact that so many legends over that period never won a flag.

I am still haunted by the 1969 1st Semi Final.
Geelong finished 3rd after the H&A season above Richmond who finished 4th.
We played Richmond in the 1st Semi Final and got slaughtered.
Doug Wade ('69 Coleman Medalist) kicked the first goal of the game, and then not a lot more happened for Geelong that day.
I do remember listening to the game on what was then 3GL and crying my eyes out as the game went on.

Richmond 25:17:167 D Geelong 7:7:49

Richmond went on to beat Collingwood in the Prelim and then Carlton in the GF.
But every time I see a team score 7:7:49 I feel like a war veteran suffering flashbacks.
I have still not been able to bring myself to watch the 2008 GF. I was at the MCG that day and the pain of the loss was enough.

2007 was the first time that I actually got to see the Cats win a premiership. It was something that I was beginning to think I would never see. The Geelong Annus horribilis, the season prior, had only enforced the fear that I would go to the grave before seeing the Cats win a flag. I would still like to see a few more before I finally fall off the perch.

Last edited:
Worst?

I think it was my first live game.

1969 PF vs Tiggers.

Standing room 14yo by myself.

Wadey got 5 (out of 7), we lost 25.17 to 7.7.

I think someone pissed on me, but the Gods certainly pissed on the Cats that day.

Best? 22 GF would go close.
If it was 1969, then it was the 1st Semi Final against the Tigers.
We got slaughtered. It is my worst memory too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ve never left a game early before
In the final against Richmond in 2017 the tigers kicked the first goal of the quarter and I think it put them 2 goals up with still obviously over a quarter and a half to go.
I had a panic attack, something I’ve never had before nor have I had since.
I couldn’t stop shaking, I said to my wife I am going to have to leave.
I remember being exhausted mentally from only 5 minutes of this and I will never forget the comments from the tiger supporters in my direction.

Obviously they weren’t aware of why I was walking down the stairs but my god that will stick with me forever

Although the first 3 flags were amazing and I was lucky enough to be at all 3 without the ballots help, it is going to take something truly special to beat the fairytale that was September 24th, 2022 (plus ballot finally coming through).

2022 QF and 2007 PF were the 2 most non stop, tense, pulsating, edge of your seat contests I've ever been to. The rivalry we've had with Collingwood over the last 15+ years especially in September, has been incredible because more often than not it's thrown up top draw football.

Rohan after the siren was surreal. Only 7000 allowed in due to covid but all squashed together so half the ground could remain closed. And the to end like that.

On the other side. West Coast comeback in 06 was a low point. When we got a similar lead in 07 and went on with it, was probably the first loosening of the lid that year.

Worst?: 2008 grand final.
Best?: Apart from 2007 grand final…1981 qualifying final against Collingwood…John Mossop! Beating Brisbane at Kardinia Park in 2004.

That was the game I was going to nominate. For some reason the feeling leaving that day was really horrible.

Of course in hindsight it wasn't nearly so bad - we finished top 4 that year.

Best? Excluding finals, I reckon smashing Collingwood in 1989 at the MCG when Ablett ripped them apart (all match, but especially the last quarter). In that era it was a real 'big' game, and to see the entire footy world realise one player was just miles ahead of everyone else was something very special to witness.

That season we also played the Bombers at the G in a bog in front of a huge crowd. Was a terrific win and announced us as having arrived as a contender I reckon.

So many great nominations, a few garbage games of course and the general excitement of seeing so many Geelong thumpings of sides over my 45-odd years of following the Cats. I think of all our 100-point wins, all bar about 8 or so happened before i was alive.

Best game I have been to for excitement was the 1994 PF, Gary Sr's mark and kick with a couple of seconds left, coming home on the train was a glorious feeling...obviously expunged a week later with Geelong's thrashing by West Coast in the GF.

Plenty of horrid H & A games, i reckon my worst was Rd 7 1990, Geelong were killed by the Hawks in Rd 1, but recovered to be 4-2 and we'd just beaten North and Essendon the previous two games, and had the juicy Tigers at KP who were hopeless in that era.

But Geelong conspired to kick 9.28.82 at home, beaten by the Bartlett-coached Tiggers 13.18.96. Think it was also the game Bews did a knee in as well, and Gary Sr missed that match. Took the wind out of our sails for sure.

Losses at K.P to the likes of Freo and GWS rankle, walking out of the QF at home in 2013 a defeated Cats fan was like a funeral procession, everyone was just in shocked silence. And the limp effort for Enright's 300th to the Dees, when Gawn decided to become Gary Dempsey and Dean Cox combined....left a horrid taste in the mouth.

Also Rd 15 1983, Cats are 3.3.21 to the awful St.Kilda 0.4.4 at quarter time, yet at K.P we wind up losing by over 50 points to a side that had won maybe a single game for the season at the time. Terrible years was '83, we lost seven of nine at home. But i kind of consider it the year 1 B.A...Before Ablett. We can't complain about the glorious impact Gary Ablett(s) had on our club over the coming decades that's for sure.

So many great nominations, a few garbage games of course and the general excitement of seeing so many Geelong thumpings of sides over my 45-odd years of following the Cats. I think of all our 100-point wins, all bar about 8 or so happened before i was alive.

Best game I have been to for excitement was the 1994 PF, Gary Sr's mark and kick with a couple of seconds left, coming home on the train was a glorious feeling...obviously expunged a week later with Geelong's thrashing by West Coast in the GF.

Plenty of horrid H & A games, i reckon my worst was Rd 7 1990, Geelong were killed by the Hawks in Rd 1, but recovered to be 4-2 and we'd just beaten North and Essendon the previous two games, and had the juicy Tigers at KP who were hopeless in that era.

But Geelong conspired to kick 9.28.82 at home, beaten by the Bartlett-coached Tiggers 13.18.96. Think it was also the game Bews did a knee in as well, and Gary Sr missed that match. Took the wind out of our sails for sure.

Losses at K.P to the likes of Freo and GWS rankle, walking out of the QF at home in 2013 a defeated Cats fan was like a funeral procession, everyone was just in shocked silence. And the limp effort for Enright's 300th to the Dees, when Gawn decided to become Gary Dempsey and Dean Cox combined....left a horrid taste in the mouth.

Also Rd 15 1983, Cats are 3.3.21 to the awful St.Kilda 0.4.4 at quarter time, yet at K.P we wind up losing by over 50 points to a side that had won maybe a single game for the season at the time. Terrible years was '83, we lost seven of nine at home. But i kind of consider it the year 1 B.A...Before Ablett. We can't complain about the glorious impact Gary Ablett(s) had on our club over the coming decades that's for sure.
Did you go to many Geelong games in the mid 90s?

Back to back awful losses at Kardinia Park against Hawthorn in 1996 and 1997. The first by 2 points with them kicking 5 goals to 2 in the final quarter. Feral Hawk fans behind me.

Then they repeated the dose a year later with a 1 goal win. These were not incredibly strong Hawthorn sides but we could be frustratingly inconsistent around this period.

Not really. Have watched the 89 grand final a dozen times. Have not rewatched the disaster of the last couple of Ayers coaching years ever.

Grand final loses are also better then the constant finals choking that occurred between 2012 and 2019.
I’m not sure. Going 21-1 with a percentage of 168 in the regular home and away and 23-1 into a Grand Final and not taking the chocolates imo cannot be matched.

Finals
Worst - Finals losses against Hawks and being at the Gabba for the 2020 GF
Best - Our last three captains winning flags in last game. :)
Being at the G for 2007 GF

Home and Away
Worst - Any massive flogging where team didn’t put effort in.
Best - Kennett Curse victories, the one for me where we had Scarlett injured on the bench, maybe some others so down in numbers and Cats came back from around 5 goals down at 3 quarter time to win it.

Did you go to many Geelong games in the mid 90s?

Back to back awful losses at Kardinia Park against Hawthorn in 1996 and 1997. The first by 2 points with them kicking 5 goals to 2 in the final quarter. Feral Hawk fans behind me.

Then they repeated the dose a year later with a 1 goal win. These were not incredibly strong Hawthorn sides but we could be frustratingly inconsistent around this period.
Indeed I did, those matches were a reason for my Hawk torment rant, it was like Ayers was actually a Hawks plant, four losses by the Cats to Hawthorn at K.P by a goal or less in 5 seasons under his coaching, and then to add insult to injury Hawthorn beat Geelong in the EF in 2000. Blokes like Shannon Gibson used to give me nightmares.

That West Coast game was a shocker.

There were some bad ones v North and Freo as well, in horrible weather
I remember sitting behind the goals at the city end (Joel Selwood stand 😊) in 2001 in absolutely attrocious conditions with a bunch of mates playing against the Roos.

The only highlight of the otherwise horrible game was when my mate caught the ball from a missed kick, Glenn Archer genstured from behind the fence to give him the ball so he could take the kick-in. My silly mate "accidentally" threw the ball hard and the ball slipped through Archer's hand and hit him flush on the schnoz.

Ol' Glenn was extremely unimpressed and gave him daggers, while we all pissed ourselves like the 16-year-old little shits that we were back then. Ah, those were the days!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back