Opinion Best and worst moments as a cats supporter

Remove this Banner Ad

Phipppppa

Club Legend
Jan 8, 2022
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
I was reminiscing of the times of the early 2000’s and 90’s and thought of all the shocking (and superb) moments of that time.

I’ll start us off-

Best moment(other then the GF) T. Hawkins goal after the siren from 55 out vs hawthorn 2012

Worst moment - being there live to see us choke to west coast in 2006
Nick Davis goal
Or
94 and 95 grand final. Just shocking.

Best: watching the 2007 GF live. Some of the best footy (albeit against witch's hats) I've had the pleasure to watch.

Worst: watching the 2008 GF live. Forget about the last 10 years, that was the mother of all "crap your pants" game (at least in front of goals). Watching the 2020 2nd half was a doddle by comparison... though probably because I saw it up here in Brisbane and didn't have to deal with anywhere near as many Tigers fans as I did Hawks.

Best: watching the 2007 GF live. Some of the best footy (albeit against witch's hats) I've had the pleasure to watch.

Worst: watching the 2008 GF live. Forget about the last 10 years, that was the mother of all "crap your pants" game (at least in front of goals). Watching the 2020 2nd half was a doddle by comparison... though probably because I saw it up here in Brisbane and didn't have to deal with anywhere near as many Tigers fans as I did Hawks.
I was at each of those 3 GF's too and have to agree with you. 2008 was more than just a disappointment. It was a nightmare. Nick Davis was a single moment of gut-wrenching disbelief. 2008 was four quarters of that same gut-wrenching disbelief against the worst and most obnoxious of all foes. What I wouldn't give to wash history clean of that sh*tstain of a day..

Does the Tomahawk goal really count as reminiscing about early 2000s? I'm not sure. 2009 GF was my favourite memory as a cats fan. Was lucky enough to share it (- the tension, the sheer jubilation) with the people who mattered to me the most. Couldn't get tickets to the game so watched it at KP on the big screen there.

But if we're saying it's gotta be pre-premiership era, I'm going to go with the record-breaking 239 in 1992. That record still stands after nearly 30 years. If it one day gets broken, I hope it is another Geelong side that does it. I remember watching it live on tv. Pure attack. And you had the best of both worlds as a supporter - an absolute shellacking, plus the tension of the final minutes!

Worst moment as a supporter, at a personal level - in a pre-season GF against Carlton in about 97 I yelled something I really regret against Anthony Koutoufides. I was like 500 rows back in the Ponsford so no chance of being heard by Kouta or many other than the seagulls up there. But it stays with me somehow. It was as though all those GF disappointments of the 90s, all that built-up resentment, couldn't keep itself in. A small thing that I wish I'd never done - but funny how over time that small thing stays with you as much as the worst of the losses.

I think the best moment in club history was Kent kingsley leaving the club.

From recent times:

Best - finally getting over the preliminary final hurdle and making the grand final in 2020.
Worst - Stanley omitted from 2019 qualifying final.

Ha, I flew down to watch the 2019 QF. Was sitting with other Cats fans pre-game and when the guy next to me heard it on the radio, we were all "WTF????".

And then we had the pleasure of watching our team in an almost carbon copy of the 1028 EF first quarter.

So many of each to choose from...........

Best - being there in 2007 for the drought breaker , surreal experience for this long term Cats supporter ( 61 years this year , started as a 5 year old :thumbsu: )
Worst - 1995 GF - AFL member at the time - got there super early , amazing seats , very hopeful- knew after 5 minutes we were cooked...........

Best: (other than the winning GFs)
  • 1994 Finals series bar the last one
  • 1999 v North Round One
  • The epic battles we had in general with Essendon during the 90s (went W/L/W/L/W for a while iirc)
  • 2007 Preliminary Final v Pies

Worst: (Other than the losing GFs)
  • 1997 and the complete cluster * that was
  • 1993 mid season slump. And Adelaide winning that last round.
  • Chris Scott from 2019 finals onwards. He lost me then and there + we have wasted the past few years.
Hon mention: go to Nick Davis. Obviously that hurt, bad. But imho we were not ready anyway to win a flag so it didnt really matter.

The dark days
2000 - didn’t make finals
2001 - Didn’t make finals
2002 - Didn’t make finals
2003 - didn’t make finals
2004 - Prelim final loss to Brisbane
2005 - nick davis
2006 - nab cup win, went on to not make finals

they were tough times . Plus the club was on the verge of bankruptcy, afl was about to force us out of k park if we didn’t do something about it.

Glad we are back on our feet again.

The dark days
2000 - didn’t make finals
2001 - Didn’t make finals
2002 - Didn’t make finals
2003 - didn’t make finals
2004 - Prelim final loss to Brisbane
2005 - nick davis
2006 - nab cup win, went on to not make finals

they were tough times . Plus the club was on the verge of bankruptcy, afl was about to force us out of k park if we didn’t do something about it.

Glad we are back on our feet again.
But- that is ok- we were obviously rebuilding. Finishing down the bottom end of the ladder isnt a complete waste of time.

What are we doing now-being the oldest team in the league, a laughing stock, recruiting old players and just happy making the top 4.

Its bs.
*am very sorry going OT.

Other fave moments: (thinking more outside the square here)

• Scarlett's goal v Saints + Gehrig waiting for him back in the goal square
  • Enright losing his footy shorts :laughv1:
  • Enrights (?) kid pulling the plug on our 1 point win v ... idk can anyone remember which specific game it was?
  • Equaling our record v Melbourne at KP.
  • Ablett mark v Pert 1994
  • Any Ablett goal or mark basically from 93-1996.
  • The Brownlows, esp 2007- just cleaning up everything that year

Worst:
- Paul Couch's death. Still cannot believe it, in a way.

I like the way you are thinking Shell

Here’s a few little moments that have come to my mind -

Best:
  • Ben Graham’s goal vs port Adelaide 2003, we went end to end in a matter of a 25 to win the match?

I was there the day at the Western Oval when he launched a massive 80m kick.

I know he was a huge kick period, but that one was a particular stand out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like the way you are thinking Shell

Here’s a few little moments that have come to my mind -

Best:

• 2007 grand final celebration day

Its funny my experiences 2007 (and 2011 for that matter) were the complete opposite.

2007 Famiy day I recall was the worst weather wise. Me and mum stood in the stand for hours, with lets face it nothing much going on- it was a huge bust. My friends stood in the rain closer to the stage and I just texted them "im outta here going home", so i drive back to Melbourne with mum. Then later that night they're talking about how they're going out and all the players are there- its 10/11pm, am like ffs get in the car and go back but i didnt.

I went back the Wednesday for the parade but no one was partying Wed night it was all over.

2011- we were in the cabin i booked, watching the replay of the match. I'm like "hurry the hell UP we gotta go out" we hit the streets at like 11pm, they're empty- quiet af. Missed it. Then I missed the parade that year, drove home Sunday arvo and got sick with a bad cold Monday.

The only "perfect" celebrations I had were 2009. Had a booking at a BnB, did the whole street celebrations the Sat night, family day was fun, did the parade on Wednesday. (and got a high 5 from Chappy)

Yes, and the day the Freo players were wearing blankets on the interchange bench.
You had to spare a thought for the goal umpires too - it was past the days of wearing those big butcher's coats. And they weren't doing a lot of running around to keep warm.

Garry Buddha Hocking last game 2001, what a shame he got booed off the field all because of Milburn.
I was going to mention this match - not for the Milburn or the booing - all part of the theatre of sport, as much as we only kicked 3 goals for the day and none after quarter time

Was that the one where Jeff Farmer got hypothermia sitting in a forward pocket where the ball never arrived?
Wasn't that the day we almost lost gaz to some sort of swamp monster*?

swamp.jpg
* And yes - I am not the first to make light of this photo

Best:

89 season. ablett at his most magical.
2007 grand final
ablett mark over pert in 94
2012 hawkins goal after siren
2009 gf
2011 gf
1993 last 5 games (domination against all the best sides led by stoneham).

worst:
9 loses in a row in 99 and then loss of colbert.
geelong finals record under scott 2012-now
2008 GF loss.
1994-95 grand final disasters.
1993 missing finals despite being the best team.

Last edited:
Best: from the final siren of the 2007 PF to about half way through the 2nd quarter of the 2007 GF
Worst: 2008 GF

Nothing comes close to either. I still experience a visceral pain thinking about 2008.

Best:

89 season. ablett at his most magical.
2007 grand final
ablett mark over pert in 94
2012 hawkins goal after siren
2009 gf
2011 gf
1993 last 5 games (domination against all the best sides led by stoneham).

worst:
9 loses in a row in 99 and then loss of colbert.
geelong finals record under scott 2012-now
2008 GF loss.
1994-95 grand final disasters.
1993 missing finals despite being the best team.

Suspect mine would follow very closely along these lines.

Best
  • 2007 Grand Final
  • Ablett's 1989 finals series
  • 2009 Grand Final
  • 2007 Qualifying Final
  • 2011 Grand Final
  • 1989 Preliminary Final
  • 1989 First Semi Final
  • The run of 9 straight wins in 1989 during the middle of the year
Worst
  • 2008 Grand Final
  • 2013 Qualifying Final
  • 2013 Preliminary Final
  • 1991 Second Semi Final
  • 1995 Grand Final
  • The last 6 years finals performances

Best.

09 GF. Watched it at the Slug in Fulham. Chappy is my doppleganger and I had my No. 35 jumper on. Had the crowd chanting 'Chappy' at me and buying me drunks when he won thw Normie. So much fun.
The day I went to see the Hawks and Roos at Waverley go to overtime in the arvo, then came back to the G to watch Billy's kick after the siren aginst the dogs. Awesome day of footy.

Worst.

08. Had to go out with my best mate and part-time Hawks supporter afterwards and he was so obnoxious. Then next day recovering at the Vineyard Im having a piss and ******* Buddy comes and stands at the urinal beside me and starts a convo. I was polite but was like a dagger through the heart at the time.

Suspect mine would follow very closely along these lines.

Best
  • 2007 Grand Final
  • Ablett's 1989 finals series
  • 2009 Grand Final
  • 2007 Qualifying Final
  • 2011 Grand Final
  • 1989 Preliminary Final
  • 1989 First Semi Final
  • The run of 9 straight wins in 1989 during the middle of the year
Worst
  • 2008 Grand Final
  • 2013 Qualifying Final
  • 2013 Preliminary Final
  • 1991 Second Semi Final
  • 1995 Grand Final
  • The last 6 years finals performances
I agree with a lot of that, although if i confine it to games i attended the jubilation of the 1994 PF with Gazza marking on the siren and kicking the goal to send us into a GF was magical whilst at the ground and on the way home. I also fondly recall the 1992 high scoring game, and also that rollicking period including that game where Geelong would seemingly kick 30 goals a game....175, 239, 210 and 181 in successive weeks. Was like that in '89 as well, and those were just heady days as a fan. That run of 9 wins too, we had one in 1980, but this time Geelong was smashing sides mercilessly in that magic year.

Also agree with the two worst disappointments, the sheer unfulfilled and empty feeling of losing the biggest game of the season after being 23-1 until then, it would be remembered as the all time greatest season, instead it's sadly a year most fans scarcely want to think about. But as an attendee at the Freo QF loss in 2013 at home, the feeling walking out was funereal, blowing the most golden of opportunities to a side most of us thought of contemptuously at the time. And it all started on the wrong foot when the goal umpire gave Pod's shot at goal (free awarded before the siren to start the game) a behind despite the raucous cheer from the Cat fans. When one flag was waved I just about fell over!

Nick Davis was shocking, the ghastly loss to the Blues at Princes Park in Rd 2 2004 (when they were tripe, we lost by 10 goals)..i sent an email to Brian Cook which he answered, and Geelong did too by making the PF after starting that year 1-4.

And the loss to the Tigers in Rd 7 1990, 9.28.82 to a Richmond side that was just hot garbage.....interrupted a 4-win sequence and heralded our rapid demise in 1990, itself a horrid year after the promise and expectations built in 1989.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back