Opinion Best and worst moments as a cats supporter

Remove this Banner Ad

Look Geelong have had some great wins over the journey

But one win - one performance that deserves a fair mention - was a game in 2008 - and it isnt hard to annihilate teams at your home ground - or flog teams like the Suns/GWS when they 1st joined the comp etc

However the game im referring to - is when Geelong beat - well i shouldnt use the word beat - i should say Annihilated West Coast ( who have been traditionally one of the strong clubs in the comp ) by 135 points at Subiaco Oval in a Saturday night game

Eagles have left Subi and now call Perth Oval home - but i dont care if its 50 years - 100 years - or in 200 years time - that record will still be in the book- it will still exist as their highest ever losing margin in a home game

I prefer our win at Subi in 1992. WestcCoast were just about unbeatable over there at the time. But they got us TWICE at the G. Ouch.

Look Geelong have had some great wins over the journey

But one win - one performance that deserves a fair mention - was a game in 2008 - and it isnt hard to annihilate teams at your home ground - or flog teams like the Suns/GWS when they 1st joined the comp etc

However the game im referring to - is when Geelong beat - well i shouldnt use the word beat - i should say Annihilated West Coast ( who have been traditionally one of the strong clubs in the comp ) by 135 points at Subiaco Oval in a Saturday night game

Eagles have left Subi and now call Perth Oval home - but i dont care if its 50 years - 100 years - or in 200 years time - that record will still be in the book- it will still exist as their highest ever losing margin in a home game
Not trying to be one of "those guys", but WC don't play at Perth Oval.

Perth Oval (currently branded HBF Park) was East Perth's home ground for over 90 years until the early 2000's when it became the premier rectangular ground in Perth (current home of Perth Glory and host of NRL games and soccer internationals). I grew up going to games at Perth Oval hoping that West Perth would beat East Perth, the Royals were probably our most hated rivals. I hated going to Perth Oval.

Not trying to be one of "those guys", but WC don't play at Perth Oval.

Perth Oval (currently branded HBF Park) was East Perth's home ground for over 90 years until the early 2000's when it became the premier rectangular ground in Perth (current home of Perth Glory and host of NRL games and soccer internationals). I grew up going to games at Perth Oval hoping that West Perth would beat East Perth, the Royals were probably our most hated rivals. I hated going to Perth Oval.
I just here the local ABC Radio call it Perth oval

I prefer our win at Subi in 1992. WestcCoast were just about unbeatable over there at the time. But they got us TWICE at the G. Ouch.
I was at the 92 and 93 games in Perth, and for some reason I have fonder memories of the 93 game. Back in those days, night games at the WACA were a bigger occasion than day games at Subi, and there was a joy about the way the Cats played that night. Blighty standing on a table coaching from ground level was a sight to behold.

I also have vivid memories of the 92 game at Subi being really hot and it was a genuinely uncomfortable game to be at. The 11 goal second quarter made it bearable though!

For me the 2005 semi final was clearly the worst moment. I was at the game and the effort that the players put into the game only to have it snatched away was heartbreaking. When King went down we were always fighting an uphill battle and it was amazing they hung on as long as they did. After that game I was genuinely questioning whether I would ever see a Cats premiership, we just seemed to be destined for heartbreak, kind of like St Kilda currently are.

As far as seasons go, the 1999 season was by the far the most disappointing season to follow. Geelong were just putrid after winning the first 5 games and we had a coach who had 1 foot out the door. Can you imagine the vitriol on this board if we ever lost 9 games in a row like we did in 1999?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back