Opinion Best and worst moments as a cats supporter

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe, that's also why I rate Ablett's 3 best so highly. Just degree of skill required for starters. That one from 1992 - 60m out, tight angle, and it went through post high. There would be very very few players who could do that.
Similar to the goal you mention, being there live I thought Cloke’s two goals from outside 50 in the 2011 GF on tight angles were two of the biggest kicks I have ever seen live….massive.

Next worse bit was watching Steve Hocking stand next to Dermie in the pocket and let him get his breath back….it was the 80s!!! Finish the bastard off!!!
Have no idea what was going through blights mind. We were all screaming to get hocking off him as soon as we saw brereton go down to the pocket.

Have no idea what was going through blights mind. We were all screaming to get hocking off him as soon as we saw brereton go down to the pocket.

I may be wrong buy I think there was a marking contest very soon after Dermi was crunched - Hocking could have spoiled it and taken the body as well , remember thinking at the time that could have finished him off.............was not to be sadly.

I may be wrong buy I think there was a marking contest very soon after Dermi was crunched - Hocking could have spoiled it and taken the body as well , remember thinking at the time that could have finished him off.............was not to be sadly.
Yes. He gets worked under the ball but Brereton was opened up if he chose to go the man. Hindsight is wonderful, but I wish we'd put the biffo away altogether and just played our natural attacking game from the start.

Yes. He gets worked under the ball but Brereton was opened up if he chose to go the man. Hindsight is wonderful, but I wish we'd put the biffo away altogether and just played our natural attacking game from the start.

He was a tough prick Brereton. The type of person who only get more agitated & aggressive the more they got hit.
Only Ablett had the physical capabilities of really putting him down for the count.
Yeates was hard but rarely one to use his body as a battering ram. The Hocking's could box but were always 7-9kg's lighter than the heavy weights.
Bourke was mean but a little bit uncoordinated.

If you actually look back to the earlier game in 1989 between these two teams (round 6), in the third quarter, Brereton lined up Ablett from about 30-40 metres away and it was Brereton who came off second best.
I think this may have been the catalyst for why Brereton kneed Yeates in the groin from a stoppage. Fired him up to take out a couple of our players that day.

Hawthorn and G Ablett spring to mind.
Think the Hawks tried valiantly to hold onto him but he just didn't want to be part of it. On the other hand, we let a player with obvious talent who wanted to stay go and for 1/2 what he'd get elsewhere. Despite Michael Turner's pleading. At least in part, because the dumbos thought that because he was planning to marry a Geelong girl he/they wouldn't move to Sydney.

I can recall really well after we thrashed Essendon in the prelim, Sheedy was asked who will win the GF?. And his reply probably helped fuel Blighty's motivation for Yeates on Dermie. Sheedy said that as long as we took care of Dermie, and did not let him smash our small guns- Couch, Buddha, Bews, Bruns etc, we would do really well. Dermie had ko'd Van Der Haar and Daisy Williams in their final. Bizarre finals. Essendon smashed us, then we regrouped and smashed Melbourne, then we obliterated Essendon.

Bloody oath :thumbsu:
Re-writing the man in front rule too...i am staggered at how Dermie was paid when Steve was the man in front, it was taken straight out of Steve's hands by Dermie who seemed to grow an extra 2 inches to be able to reach over the top for that mark (and goal).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can recall really well after we thrashed Essendon in the prelim, Sheedy was asked who will win the GF?. And his reply probably helped fuel Blighty's motivation for Yeates on Dermie. Sheedy said that as long as we took care of Dermie, and did not let him smash our small guns- Couch, Buddha, Bews, Bruns etc, we would do really well. Dermie had ko'd Van Der Haar and Daisy Williams in their final. Bizarre finals. Essendon smashed us, then we regrouped and smashed Melbourne, then we obliterated Essendon.

Can't remember the Williams one, the Van Der Haar one was completely fair.

Can't remember the Williams one, the Van Der Haar one was completely fair.
Completely fair back then, perhaps, but a Dermie specialty; nowadays that would be 4 weeks minimum suspension

Last round of 2015, Stevie J, Kelly and Stokes getting chaired off for their final game at Geelong was a great moment to be at live.

Not only that but it was the last time I sat in my seat in the old brownlow stand.

Unpopular opinion but still the best side I’ve ever seen play
Win that GF and they’d be talked about for 100 years
Unforgettable. The best and the worst of being a Cats supporter, all encapsulated within one football season.

Probably sums up what it is to follow the hoops better than anything else ever could.

And of course of all the years we made Grand finals, guess which year I went to the post-match dinner?
Brutal. I went to the game that year. And can only be thankful that walking out of the ground that day will be the last time I ever attempt to engage with that match or its memory in any way whatsoever.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back