Opinion Best and worst moments as a cats supporter

Remove this Banner Ad

I love all the usual suspects--premierships, the toe poke, Hawkins kicking that goal after the siren--but I wanted to add Joel Corey's smother in the '07 prelim against the Pies. Iconic moment.

As for worst, one of them is the 2010 prelim against the Pies. I was there. The noise Collingwood supporters made that night is the loudest thing I have ever heard in my life. Of course, that night made beating them in the GF the following year so much sweeter, if that is even possible.

But yep, one of my favourite moments is absolutely the Smithy smother.

There it is again. You're passing off your opinion as incontrovertible fact. You don't know that. You can't know that.

Too many? We had Enright missing due to injury, and Chapman suspended. Had we won Chapman would have returned, and Enright would have been a good chance as well.
Boris was minimal chance, MCL's are not a 3 week injury, and we would haVe been castigated taking in a significant knee ligament injury into a GF. Similarly Simpson was a loss. I know you will quote SJ, but that was more a patella subluxation episode in the 2011 prelim

Last edited:
We had to get past Hawks in extra time, and we already looked gassed by the end of normal time, hence the Hawks actually beating us.
Another week, against a team we could not even beat at a home final.. fanciful. Rucks were critical v 211. Simpson was a big loss.

For the record, here are the stats from our 2013 home and away season.

Total season: 18 wins 4 losses
With Simpson: 4 wins 2 losses
Without Simpson: 14 wins 2 losses

It goes without saying it would have been better to have him. For sure. But we could - and did - win a lot that season without (including beating Hawthorn once and Sydney twice).

Never an excuse too small it can't be clung to like a lifeboat.

I love all the usual suspects--premierships, the toe poke, Hawkins kicking that goal after the siren--but I wanted to add Joel Corey's smother in the '07 prelim against the Pies. Iconic moment.

As for worst, one of them is the 2010 prelim against the Pies. I was there. The noise Collingwood supporters made that night is the loudest thing I have ever heard in my life. Of course, that night made beating them in the GF the following year so much sweeter, if that is even possible.

But yep, one of my favourite moments is absolutely the Smithy smother.

It was up there. I think the 2017 Qualifying Final was even louder.

Boris was minimal chance, MCL's are not a 3 week injury, and we would haVe been castigated taking in a significant knee ligament injury into a GF. Similarly Simpson was a loss. I know you will quote SJ, but that was more a patella subluxation episode in the 2011 prelim

I'd quote the club at the time, and Joel Selwood. Who unanimously said he was touch an go for the Prelim. But they wouldn't have played him for a Grand final? Yeah, sure.

Best moment - 2007 Premiership. After running up so many times in the 1990s and never having experienced a Geelong Premiership in my whole life, this was a great moment.

Worst moment - 1995 loss to Carlton in the grand final because they cheated the salary cap to get it. That should've been our flag.

Best moment - 2007 Premiership. After running up so many times in the 1990s and never having experienced a Geelong Premiership in my whole life, this was a great moment.

Worst moment - 1995 loss to Carlton in the grand final because they cheated the salary cap to get it. That should've been our flag.

Snap BlakeyNoFlakey - identical to mine :(

Not only that. That was the only time we'd won straight through to the Grand final and had a week off. No excuses there.

Not only that. That was the only time we'd won straight through to the Grand final and had a week off. No excuses there.

Plus we ran the Blues to a 5 or so point loss IIRC at their home late in the season - I think Senior had a shot to take the lead but missed?

It was meant to be?

Chappy and enright would of been back for the grand final.

people forget how dominant sjohnson and selwood were at that point in their careers. sjs prelim was phenemonal. He was arguably the best player in the league at that point. Selwood also at the peak of his career.

and we wouldnt of been playing walker at full foward in the granny Like we did in the first final. Nor chapman as the sub.

maybe we would of even had the brains to bring back our best fit ruck to help mitigate sandilands influence.

we were the best side in 2013.
Everyone's memories are a bit different. Definitely agree with you about Selwood and SJ. SJ had turned himself into an incredible playmaker by that point, with the vision and angles he came up with. But I just never really felt confident we were flag material in 2013. The team seemed to still have enough experience and good players to hang on and win a lot of games, but many of those wins were close or unconvincing. Didn't we just scrape through at home against a pretty average Lions outfit in the final h&a round? It just hurt the way we bowed out in finals especially because it was the first time we had been allowed to have a home final and it was the first time the hawks beat us since 2008. I definitely remember thinking that we'd need a bit of luck to prevail and that maybe the home final would be it or that if we were to deny the hawks again that would be really something.. Oh well.

Everyone's memories are a bit different. Definitely agree with you about Selwood and SJ. SJ had turned himself into an incredible playmaker by that point, with the vision and angles he came up with. But I just never really felt confident we were flag material in 2013. The team seemed to still have enough experience and good players to hang on and win a lot of games, but many of those wins were close or unconvincing. Didn't we just scrape through at home against a pretty average Lions outfit in the final h&a round? It just hurt the way we bowed out in finals especially because it was the first time we had been allowed to have a home final and it was the first time the hawks beat us since 2008. I definitely remember thinking that we'd need a bit of luck to prevail and that maybe the home final would be it or that if we were to deny the hawks again that would be really something.. Oh well.
We were 5-0 against the top 4 teams that year. I was more confident then in 2011 because there was no collingwood.

but the finals were a disaster due to injuries/suspensions and some utterly stupid moves by the MC. If it wasnt for hawthorn having the week off we would of beaten hawks by 3 plus goals. If we had any of chappy and enright playing, a ruckman not sitting on the pine and didnt have hawkins injury mismanagent that made him a non event by finals (motlop also hurt himself at the end of the season too after looking like being on the verge of superstardom and was clearly not the player he was a month earlier) Then we would of won by quite a bit more.

Last edited:
I think Ash McGraths goal after the siren in his milestone game was a pretty ordinary performance from us.

We were up by 38 points at 3QT. They kicked 53 points to 10 in the last quarter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Ash McGraths goal after the siren in his milestone game was a pretty ordinary performance from us.

We were up by 38 points at 3QT. They kicked 53 points to 10 in the last quarter.
Can't forget that one. I went with my Lions-supporting in-laws. The Lions fans in front of us had given up and left at 3QT. There was me - trying to be as magnanimous as I could up until the final quarter, and by the end trying to hide and not make a fool of myself! Part of me enjoyed the spectacle of it. A very very small part.

Can't forget that one. I went with my Lions-supporting in-laws. The Lions fans in front of us had given up and left at 3QT. There was me - trying to be as magnanimous as I could up until the final quarter, and by the end trying to hide and not make a fool of myself! Part of me enjoyed the spectacle of it. A very very small part.

As a Cats fan of many years, you could see it coming from a fair way out. Even as the last quarter began, I already had a sense that we had the capability to do what seemed almost unthinkable. And the longer it went, the more certain you became. The last minute seemed to go for an eternity. And, once we turned the ball over that last time, you could just sense that it was going to be up the other end at a rate of knots. To the point where you never really seriously entertained the thought that McGrath would drop the mark or miss the goal.

Felt like crawling under a rock for the entire last quarter. And the roar from a fairly middling-sized crowd when the kick sailed through was certainly something I'll never forget.

More than anything, though, I'll never forget my six-year-old son's response to it all. As I sat there taking in the result, head in hands, digesting yet another Cats loss for the ages, he rushed up to me and loudly exclaimed, 'That was amazing, Dad!' Gave me a little perspective on what we had just witnessed, and helped me to move relatively quickly past another incredibly inglorious moment in our club's history.

And I'm proud to say that I'm certain his maniacal love for his Cats now means that he wouldn't be half as magnanimous if the same thing happened today. :cool:

As a Cats fan of many years, you could see it coming from a fair way out. Even as the last quarter began, I already had a sense that we had the capability to do what seemed almost unthinkable. And the longer it went, the more certain you became. The last minute seemed to go for an eternity. And, once we turned the ball over that last time, you could just sense that it was going to be up the other end at a rate of knots. To the point where you never really seriously entertained the thought that McGrath would drop the mark or miss the goal.

The thing is though, people forget the buildup. That only happened because of one (and possibly) two brainfades by Geelong players:

• Simpson inexplicably playing on after taking a mark with about 30-something seconds left.
  • MAYBE Corey calling for the ball. Which would be just as dumb.

Simply shouldn't have lost the match.

Absolutely could be considered a worst moment but I absolutely love the Brisbane comeback on reflection (TBF I didn't feel this way at the time).

They kick about 6 goals from outside 50, the ball bounces off the umpires legs for a goal, it's absolute mayhem.

I love the last minute too

They butcher the late kick in, Hunt to Selwood almost ices the game. Selwood plays on to take a kick that, if successful, means Brisbane absolutely can not win the game. Simpson marks forward of the wing with 30 seconds left; the game is over. I think Brisbane's chances of winning the game from that position are 0%. He inexplicably plays on and Corey hits the attacking kick to the top of the square. They again do almost everything wrong, but somehow also perfectly to give McGrath a chance, which he nails from 55m.

Amazing game.

They managed to end to end with 18 seconds left. Merrett almost ****ed it up for them. They are still 60 out of OUR GOAL with 10 seconds left.

Adcock was so quick to give off the hands, without that hand pass they wouldn’t have had time

Good game to look back on now, at the time. It was bad, really, really bad.

At that moment I knew we weren’t going to win that year.

The thing is though, people forget the buildup. That only happened because of one (and possibly) two brainfades by Geelong players:

• Simpson inexplicably playing on after taking a mark with about 30-something seconds left.
  • MAYBE Corey calling for the ball. Which would be just as dumb.

Simply shouldn't have lost the match.
Don't disagree about all the 'coulda, shoulda, woulda' moments, really. But, in the end, the real reason we lost is because the players absolutely switched off and went into cruise mode. Once you do that, truly anything is possible. And every little error is almost inevitably exponentially compounded.

For the record, here are the stats from our 2013 home and away season.

Total season: 18 wins 4 losses
With Simpson: 4 wins 2 losses
Without Simpson: 14 wins 2 losses

It goes without saying it would have been better to have him. For sure. But we could - and did - win a lot that season without (including beating Hawthorn once and Sydney twice).

Never an excuse too small it can't be clung to like a lifeboat.
And finals, 1 win, 2 losses, when we needed a dominant ruckman most.

I never really understood the disdain for the sub rule in AFL. In football (soccer) you often need subs who can make an impact when they come on at a critical stage. Somehow in the AFL it was seen as some kind of dunce hat.
Chappy was a great sub, and was riddled with soft tissue injuries that season ans previously.

Best moment was being at the 2007 GF. My cousin was on Freo's list and gave his allocation to me because he was having surgery that day and couldn't make it. I had just turned 18 and had spent most of my life watching us get flogged at Footy Park in SA.

Worst moment was attending the 2017 prelim at Adelaide Oval. I was surrounded by Crows supporters and the game was over at quarter time. The Crows supporters were giving it to me all game, and even on my walk back to my car they were having a go. It only further entrenched my opinion that their supporter group are sacks.

Best moment was being at the 2007 GF. My cousin was on Freo's list and gave his allocation to me because he was having surgery that day and couldn't make it. I had just turned 18 and had spent most of my life watching us get flogged at Footy Park in SA.

Worst moment was attending the 2017 prelim at Adelaide Oval. I was surrounded by Crows supporters and the game was over at quarter time. The Crows supporters were giving it to me all game, and even on my walk back to my car they were having a go. It only further entrenched my opinion that their supporter group are sacks.
Funny how different groups of supporters relate to each other differently. I remember walking home from the G after the 2007 gf and a group of power fans were almost goading us to get stuck in to them after their utter humiliation. We were like who cares, you'll bounce back, we just want to celebrate our first flag for 44 years. Somehow that kind of response almost added to their disappointment!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back