Opinion Best and worst moments as a cats supporter

Remove this Banner Ad

Worst:
  • 1994 Grand Final: (went to bed very upset) - in hindsight, did well just to make it, but as an 11 year old, you just want to win
  • 1995 Grand Final: The worst performance we put into any Grand Final, ever. Copped a lot of crap from Carlton supporters at school the following Monday. Little did they know they were to endure a world of pain not long later
  • 2008 Grand Final: Angry more than sad. Should not have happened. Best team, but ultimately, not deserved on the day
  • Paul Couch's death. A good bloke that didn't deserve to pass so young
  • 2005 Semi Final: I could not believe it. Truly a missed opportunity
  • Jason Snell's ankle. The worst footy injury I've ever seen, IMO. His face told the story
  • GAJ's last match. As much as I wanted the team to win, I wanted it for Gary. Given Natasha's passing years earlier and his significant contribution to the club and game, he deserved it. Like Leigh Matthews, it wasn't to be...

Best:
  • Gary Ablett Senior
  • Gary Ablett Junior (went to first game, saw first goal a couple of weeks later. Went apeshit)
  • 2007 AFL Grand Final - to break the drought and have such a dominating win was enjoyable. To break the winning margin stamped that year as a resounding success, and I could die contented
  • 2007 Best and Fairest: Frank Costa stating, "Mission Accomplished" was one of the most satisfying words I have ever heard in person, ever
  • GAJ's Brownlows (I still loved him at the Suns. He gave too much to Geelong to be ostracised)
  • Beating Essendon and Hawthorn. Always matches I love to win. Kennett-Curse was a gift
  • Winning a door prize at the 2018 B+F. Fully signed team jumper with club-issued COA. Neat ;)
  • 2008 B+F was interesting. Walked in sombre, given the GF loss. By the end, walked out really positive and proud
  • 2009 150th Celebration. We'd just lost to Carlton and people thought the club was heading down. Mark Thompson asked the hypothetical question, "are we just going to fade away?" Answered it immediately with, "No", and spoke about rising to the challenge. In hindsight, a really important moment, given what happened - especially in the GF. The last quarter was the difference. Shannon Byrnes efforts in beating his opponent 1-on-1 3 times was the opposite of, 'fading away'
  • The Costa-Cook partnership that set up a strong club culturally and financially, after being a broken, disunified one for so long

Best
The run of 9 straight wins in 1989 during the middle of the year
Good call. This probably gets overlooked sometimes as ultimately we didnt win the GF that year. I was a kid of about 11-12 at the time and this was the first time in my living memory that we had been good.

That 9 week streak (no DVD produced either 😉) actually started after us losing ‘that’ R6 game against Hawthorn at PP where we got out to a big lead and still kicked 25 goals and lost. The next three games also saw us kick 25 goals plus as we won games against the Saints, Tigers and Bears, each by more than 100 points.

The following week we played the Pies at the G and I’ll never forget it. It was teaming rain and GAS had his “what more can you say” moment and the old Southern Stand was positively rocking!

We kicked 23 goals that day and won by 10 goals. In the wet. The archives say there were 65k there that day - it felt like 90 and I swear there were significantly more Cats fans than Pies.

‘89 was the most attacking and electrifying football I think I’ve witnessed. Even more so than ‘07. We kicked 25 goals plus 5 times during the regular season and more than 20 goals four times. In our last three finals (after getting shell shocked by ESS in the QF) we also kicked greater than 20 goals in each match.

The ironic thing was I think it was ‘92 where we actually scored even more heavily - someone might correct me on that.

But that period in ‘89 is ingrained in the memory bank and makes me smile. It was the first time in my life I remember that Geelong were actually respected or feared by the opposition. Exciting times for a young boy and the whole city got caught up in it.

Although it hurt, I could forgive the GF loss that year. By 94-95, not so much!

Good call. This probably gets overlooked sometimes as ultimately we didnt win the GF that year. I was a kid of about 11-12 at the time and this was the first time in my living memory that we had been good.

That 9 week streak (no DVD produced either 😉) actually started after us losing ‘that’ R6 game against Hawthorn at PP where we got out to a big lead and still kicked 25 goals and lost. The next three games also saw us kick 25 goals plus as we won games against the Saints, Tigers and Bears, each by more than 100 points.

The following week we played the Pies at the G and I’ll never forget it. It was teaming rain and GAS had his “what more can you say” moment and the old Southern Stand was positively rocking!

We kicked 23 goals that day and won by 10 goals. In the wet. The archives say there were 65k there that day - it felt like 90 and I swear there were significantly more Cats fans than Pies.

‘89 was the most attacking and electrifying football I think I’ve witnessed. Even more so than ‘07. We kicked 25 goals plus 5 times during the regular season and more than 20 goals four times. In our last three finals (after getting shell shocked by ESS in the QF) we also kicked greater than 20 goals in each match.

The ironic thing was I think it was ‘92 where we actually scored even more heavily - someone might correct me on that.

But that period in ‘89 is ingrained in the memory bank and makes me smile. It was the first time in my life I remember that Geelong were actually respected or feared by the opposition. Exciting times for a young boy and the whole city got caught up in it.

Great post, and fully agree.

Seriously, even now, even after 2007-2011, if you had to ask me the 10 most memorable games I saw live, I would name half from 1989 without really having to think too much. It was absolutely electrifying.

Then to top it all off, when September rolled around Gary Ablett played to my mind the greatest football ever played. Those last three finals from that year were just on another planet to anything I've ever seen, before or since.

Great post, and fully agree.

Seriously, even now, even after 2007-2011, if you had to ask me the 10 most memorable games I saw live, I would name half from 1989 without really having to think too much. It was absolutely electrifying.

Then to top it all off, when September rolled around Gary Ablett played to my mind the greatest football ever played. Those last three finals from that year were just on another planet to anything I've ever seen, before or since.
As I've said a few times here I had the luxury of going to training most nights that year and into 92. To see Gaz Snr live so often was an awesome delight

Correct. 1992 was the most attacking year on record at the time. I reckon it still stands today.

However, I also prefer the 1989 season, even though I wasn't following footy then (I was 6!). It's a shame it's so hard to get footage!
I look at the 1989 team and outright prefer it over the 1992.
The 1992 Grand Final had Geoff Miles, a worn-out Neville Bruns, Andrew Wills, Russell Merriman etc. who weren't going to match the Eagles at that point. They also didn't contribute as much. Another was Trevor Poole, who kicked the first goal of the game.

The 1989 team had a better even contribution, with relatively unknown and/or forgotten players like Shane Hamilton, David Cameron and Darren Flanigan all hitting the scoresheet and having significant contributions. Flanigan absolutely blitzed Greg Dear. Pure heart. The only player who didn't put in as they would have hoped would be Damian Bourke, but I think he was injured after quarter time
I reckon that the 1989 team was also more flamboyant and genuinely enjoyed themselves more

From Youtube, I have seen some great matches from 1989. I own the Semi Final and Prelim on DVD, and I owned the Grand Final at one point as well - even through we lost. Was just a great era for football. Geelong v Essendon at the MCG around Round 9 or thereabouts had a huge crowd, and to this day is still Geelong's largest H&A attendance.

1989 for mine has some of the most enjoyable viewing of any season

From Youtube, I have seen some great matches from 1989. I own the Semi Final and Prelim on DVD, and I owned the Grand Final at one point as well - even through we lost. Was just a great era for football. Geelong v Essendon at the MCG around Round 9 or thereabouts had a huge crowd, and to this day is still Geelong's largest H&A attendance.

1989 for mine has some of the most enjoyable viewing of any season

I say this often, but the First Semi final was one of the great enjoyable days. Melbourne were just super annoying, they almost seemed to beat us when you didn't want them to (the return match that year they beat us at Waverley), it was tight for three quarters, then we slammed them with 10.10 in the last quarter. Ablett's entire game and especially last quarter was magical. Vividly remember watching Melbourne players shaking their heads every time he pulled down an amazing mark.

I say this often, but the First Semi final was one of the great enjoyable days. Melbourne were just super annoying, they almost seemed to beat us when you didn't want them to (the return match that year they beat us at Waverley), it was tight for three quarters, then we slammed them with 10.10 in the last quarter. Ablett's entire game and especially last quarter was magical. Vividly remember watching Melbourne players shaking their heads every time he pulled down an amazing mark.
In the second quarter, two of his goals playing on Grinter were pretty special ;)
The one-handed mark, where Grinter just had nothing to say
The second one where he picked up the loose ball, took a bounch, and kicked through a low goal

Never tire of watching that match. It was a better match than the Prelim, although it was a wet day. The skills were still impressive

I can't decide if its a best or worst, but after the 2020 Grand Final at the Gabba - which was amazing to attend, but some Richmond Supporter handed me a packet of Richmond branded tissues after the game, I can only imagine how keen he'd been to hand those out after hanging on to them all match haha.

I can't decide if its a best or worst, but after the 2020 Grand Final at the Gabba - which was amazing to attend, but some Richmond Supporter handed me a packet of Richmond branded tissues after the game, I can only imagine how keen he'd been to hand those out after hanging on to them all match haha.

Probably one of those people that used to microwave their membership card after round 3 every season...

That's pretty funny :grinv1:

The dark days
2000 - didn’t make finals
2001 - Didn’t make finals
2002 - Didn’t make finals
2003 - didn’t make finals
2004 - Prelim final loss to Brisbane
2005 - nick davis
2006 - nab cup win, went on to not make finals

they were tough times . Plus the club was on the verge of bankruptcy, afl was about to force us out of k park if we didn’t do something about it.

Glad we are back on our feet again.
Lol the ‘dark days’
*We made the finals in 2000
The only bad years were 01 & 06, and in hindsight 06 was the catalyst for the next 15 years of sustained success.
02 & 03 we saw the debuts of some of the best players in our history. I have very fond memories of 02, especially when we went on a 7 game winning streak (before kicking ourselves out of a game against Adelaide that would ultimately cost us finals). 04 was a great year! 1-4 after 5 rounds and went on to finish top 4 and make the prelim! We also beat the Lions in an epic game at KP to announce that we were the future! 05 we were flag favourites but we were too inconsistent, the 05 final was gut wrenching but that’s why we win the 07 prelim.
Worst times for me are
  • the 9 game losing streak in 99 after winning the first 5 games
  • the 08 Grand Final. Hawks exploiting a rule I always hated to win! There is no honour in that!!!
  • Gaz getting injured in the first minute of the 2020 GF.
  • But the worst time was Gaz leaving. I don’t begrudge him, but it’s a footy tragedy that he was playing at the Suns for the best years of his career.

Best times? Too many to recount,
  • The 15 game winning streak in 07 after going 2-3 to start the year.
  • The 07 finals series
  • the 08 H&A season
  • the lost to the saints in mid 09: it was a great game and strangely I walked away thinking if that’s their best we’ve got them covered when it counts & we did!
  • the toe poke and Paul Chapman’s sealer in the 09 GF
  • 2011 season was perfect.
  • Tom Hawkins last quarter in the 2011 GF
  • 2020 season gets a mention, geez they helped us get through a devastating year!
  • And of course Gaz returning!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have you listened to the ‘Greatest season that was’ podcast?
The did a good ep on the 89 GF that I think you’d enjoy!

I am surprised nobody has mentioned the switch to "Cat Attack" theme song as the lowest of low points, when we were truly naff. Some say it kicked off our period of poor performance in the late 90's encouraging the team to actively avoid winning so we wouldn't have to hear that song. I'm sure it was wafting (an apt description of the song) in the background of Buddha Hocking's final match.

I am surprised nobody has mentioned the switch to "Cat Attack" theme song as the lowest of low points, when we were truly naff. Some say it kicked off our period of poor performance in the late 90's encouraging the team to actively avoid winning so we wouldn't have to hear that song. I'm sure it was wafting (an apt description of the song) in the background of Buddha Hocking's final match.
I have fond memories of that song 😂

It was used during the 1992 finals series. From memory, not much afterwards...

Speaking of Buddha I don't think the name change to "Whiskas" was one of our finest moments ;)

Speaking of Buddha I don't think the name change to "Whiskas" was one of our finest moments ;)
Really? I've got it on the list of best moments. Not very high up mind you, but not one of the worst. The club being in dire financial straits was bad. But Garry Hocking changing his name to Whiskas to help the club in some small fashion was outrageously kitch but also kind selfless.

Really? I've got it on the list of best moments. Not very high up mind you, but not one of the worst. The club being in dire financial straits was bad. But Garry Hocking changing his name to Whiskas to help the club in some small fashion was outrageously kitch but also kind selfless.

Understand but I found it a bit cringeworthy at the time - especially as I got to know Buddha when he was over here and realised he was a bit reluctant at the time - and boy did he cop a lot of s**t for a while afterwards :eek:

92 hands down more attacking. I believe we scored a record for Points for that year.

We did. Two astonishing feats from those two seasons:
  • The 1989 team did something only South in the 1930s did - kicked 20 goals or more for five successive games.
  • The 1992 team equalled this, and did it for six successive games.

I reckon this team had a slightly more insatiable appetite for scoring.

Last edited:
Look Geelong have had some great wins over the journey

But one win - one performance that deserves a fair mention - was a game in 2008 - and it isnt hard to annihilate teams at your home ground - or flog teams like the Suns/GWS when they 1st joined the comp etc

However the game im referring to - is when Geelong beat - well i shouldnt use the word beat - i should say Annihilated West Coast ( who have been traditionally one of the strong clubs in the comp ) by 135 points at Subiaco Oval in a Saturday night game

Eagles have left Subi and now call Perth Oval home - but i dont care if its 50 years - 100 years - or in 200 years time - that record will still be in the book- it will still exist as their highest ever losing margin in a home game

Remove this Banner Ad

Back