Vic Best and worst train stations in Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Stats Man

All Australian
Jan 14, 2008
Forward pocket
AFL Club
West Coast
Always makes for interesting discussion (in terms of being the best, and the safest, and then the opposite): I rate Richmond quite highly, I know many others don't. Wish they'd open the city end entry/exit during the week. Was pretty filthy for a while there, but I reckon it's been cleaned up a bit somewhat.

Most of the City Loop ones are alright. Think Ormond is pretty good, good location, but hard to get onto the platform if you're running late for your train.

Hurstbridge is ok, as are the Westgarth-Fairfield ones.

Windsor, Prahan and South Yarra are all ok, too. Ditto Mont Albert, Mitcham and Camberwell. Jolimont, too, is very good.

Bad: Quite a few here. Ringwood is disgusting, always got to keep an eye out as to what's going on. Caulfield...not the best. Platform one is ok, four is terrible, and the middle two only a bit better. Stinks in the underpass, too. Kananook has a terrible history. North Melbourne is always a bit shifty, so many corners, etc, with the new rebuilding. Coburg is pretty desolate, particularly its platform two car park.

Clifton Hill's underpass would be a big worry at night, too. Would not want to be at Box Hill alone at night, either.

Went through Frankston once. Weird units around that station.:p

Your thoughts?

Anything on the Pakenham/Cranbourne lines past Caufield. Most of the Criagieburn line past Essendon. Enter at own risk.

yeh when i go to the city i have to go from frankston station, its pretty bad, soo many druggies, but there fixing it up atm.:thumbsu: found $30 lying around there :D

You haven't seen bad if you haven't been to Boronia, Croydon or Lilydale station.

Croydons not that bad I reakon. But at night it's not a nice place to be though, probably like most stations though.

If I decide to catch a train I usually try'n park my car at Surrey Hills, day and night you feel very safe there :thumbsu:

Would not want to be at Box Hill alone at night, either.

Don't know how Box Hill is exactly dangerous? I find the station safe especially with the amount of people always around. Only major incident there was that bloke with his guitar that got stabbed - I think 3 or so years back though.

Surrey Hills though is a good station, always prefer to park there if I can - otherwise Camberwell is great.

Pretty much all my train travel has been on the one train line (Hurstbridge) so I can't really make a contribution to this thread.
I suspect that the Hursty line is one of the better ones though, from what I've read in this thread.

Frankston is probably bad at night if there's hardly anyone there but on a night when the footy or cricket is on it's fine.

One thing that pisses me off going to the G is when you have to scan your ticket. You're at a stand still for ages. Same goes for after the game. Have to stand of ages. They have to do something about it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Roff. Broady is bad, the Kebab shop is like a muzza magnet:p

I worked above that Kebab shop for a year. Best damn kebab ever. Some of the s**t that comes out of that station though is unreal. Saw a dude walk out of there with no nose, just walking round. Obviously had some type of operation, but had no bandage or anything. You basically looked right into his sinus cavity. Saw what I'm sure was an organised crime shakedown on some guy. The aftermath of a stabbing. You walk across the road to the shopping centre and sure, it's full of bogans, but that station is a bloody crime hole.

Rushall station on the Epping line has to be one of the worst.Anyone getting off there and walking home during the day or night is risking being belted up big time because as soon as you get off you need to walk down a path littered with bushland either side then walk through a dark tunnel to get to the road which is about 100 meters away from the station.Theres been many a time where there arnt even any station hands working there for the fear theyll get bashed

Willison station was one of the worst for security reasons. It was next to the tip and on a dead end road on one side. Every morning there would be glass on the ground from cars being smashed. The Alamein line was fine overall though. Camberwell is a good station. Hartwell was in good spot, not much parking though.
I found anything West of the city pretty average. I liked the new Spencer Street station or whatever it's called now.

You haven't seen bad if you haven't been to Boronia, Croydon or Lilydale station.

Agreed. When i lost my license, for work I had to catch the train to a different location every few days, and went to all the supposedly ordinary ones after dark (Broady, Reservoir, Collingwood etc)...Croydon was the worst IMO. Have only been there a few times in the last couple of years, so maybe they've cleaned it up, but it was (and probably still is) a complete shithole.

Moonee Ponds is nice. Kensington is a nice wee station.

basically, any station where you can purchase drugs either right there and then, or very much nearby, is to be avoided - Footscray, St Albans, Ringwood, Dandy.

Nunawading station is a particular craphole for its relentless dreary suburban vibe.

South Yarra good back in the day when I was in high school.

Always liked Parliament station too. The long escalators are great.

Sunshine is the worst almost in melbourne, has to be seen to be believed! so much trouble- fights, thefts, junkies, etc .... and also Albion station which is the station prior to sunshine, is very dangerous at night time - especially through winter. I was jumped there once by a few blokes who were annoyed at the fact i was wearing my work uniform on the train :cool:

Armadale, Toorak and Hawksburn are all really good. Hawthorn isn't bad as well.

I've had to catch the late train into Franga a few times and needless to say it was a scary experience.

Will also add that North and West Richmond are decidedly shifty.

Any decent stories from these stations/train trips? They can often provide an interesting tale or two.

Sunshine is the worst almost in melbourne, has to be seen to be believed! so much trouble- fights, thefts, junkies, etc .... and also Albion station which is the station prior to sunshine, is very dangerous at night time - especially through winter. I was jumped there once by a few blokes who were annoyed at the fact i was wearing my work uniform on the train :cool:

That used to be my local station. I used to hate the walk away from the station. Albion's pretty safe compared to other parts of Sunshine but the area round the station is desolate late at night.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back