Environment Best atmosphere you've been part of?

Remove this Banner Ad

2013 Prelim Final against Geelong would be up there. Also before Deadmau5 was as big as he eventually was, he played a side stage (in a tent) at Good Vibes when that was still a thing and the atmosphere was awesome.

The 2013 Grand Final was great but it was even better afterwards. The city was really fun that night, the Freo supporters were out having fun along with us Hawks supporters.

Adelaide v West Coast in 2015 at Subiaco oval which was the crows first game after the murder of Phil Walsh

When the siren went to end the game the only sound you heard was the clattering of the plastic seats flipping back up as the crowd all stood in silence whilst the players made their way to the middle of the ground. It was quite surreal

Obviously not a great atmosphere as such but far more memorable than any other game I've attended

Being at Spotless Stadium for the prelim was the absolute best feeling of the 2016 finals series for me. I saw more grown men cry and people losing their collective minds at that game than I did at the Grand Final. I'll never forget that day.

I was there with a couple of Dogs supporters. The Dad was all teared up because he was only 2 or 3 when they won their flag.

Awesome night.

I also saw a Hawthorn supporter I know all decked out in GWS gear so I gave him heaps of s**t.

I cant stand people with dual loyalties.

Drawn Granny 2010. Just for the lack of precedent. At any GF the winning team is happy the losing team sad but while it's always in the back of your mind (or was until extra time) it could be a draw what really are the odds? Reactions just tended to be instinctual and the pessimists were pessimistic and the optimists were optimistic.

Also the replay where Collingwood finally snagged one. But again weird out that night pies fans ecstatic saints devastated.

Non sport/arena one. Going with a group white water rafting on boggie boards in NZ. When told of the water temperature and what to do everyone is silent. Similar being on a bungy jumping ledge with 4 others. Everyone is hyped and anxious but when you are roped up and it is your turn to jump everyone is deathly quiet as they know you're shitting yourself but so will they be when it's their turn.

Probably the best atmosphere I have experienced was on the bus back from a international friendly between Australia vs Germany in Germany.

This bunch of Germans were good naturedly pre game telling us how rubbish we are given they had beat us 4-0 in the World Cup

We won 2-1, so on the walk out of the stadium we see the same bunch of Germans , so we spent about 30 mins telling them how rubbish they were that they let Dave Carney score.

Afterwards both the Germans and the Aussies partied together, was just an excellent night filled with good banter and mutual respect.

Two; extended and moment-based. Both at the G

Extended was 2010 prelim; toward the end of the first half when it became clear the game was effectively over and the”cooooooolingwooood chant went up. Chills.

Never heard a louder roar though then when Starc took that wicket in the first over in the WC final. McCullum had two huge swings at balls 2 and 3 and you were just wincing waiting for him to connect.

He missed again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Two; extended and moment-based. Both at the G

Extended was 2010 prelim; toward the end of the first half when it became clear the game was effectively over and the”cooooooolingwooood chant went up. Chills.

Never heard a louder roar though then when Starc took that wicket in the first over in the WC final. McCullum had two huge swings at balls 2 and 3 and you were just wincing waiting for him to connect.

He missed again.
One of bigger roars I heard was when Mitchell Johnson bowled Stuart Broad first ball a couple of years ago after he spent five minutes bitching about the sight screen. Place exploded.

One of bigger roars I heard was when Mitchell Johnson bowled Stuart Broad first ball a couple of years ago after he spent five minutes bitching about the sight screen. Place exploded.

I was at the GABBA when Johnson tore them a new a-hole in 2013, 6/9 i think his spell was. Elsewhere the atmosphere was epic, we were sitting in amongst the Poms, the shoulders were sinking further and further with every wicket, ******* awesome.

Eagles comeback vs Carlton 2006. Was sitting right behind the goals the Eagles were kicking at in the last quarter

I was at the GABBA when Johnson tore them a new a-hole in 2013, 6/9 i think his spell was. Elsewhere the atmosphere was epic, we were sitting in amongst the Poms, the shoulders were sinking further and further with every wicket, ******* awesome.

I’ll never forget those wickets he took at the GABBA

I was at Adelaide oval for the 2007 ashes when we tore through the poms on the final day, the last session was electric

I've been fortunate to be at some pretty cool ones, but I think the best one might've been Game 2 of the 2012 State of Origin series at Homebush.

I'd become a NSW supporter after a few years living in Canberra - we'd lost game 1 in Melbourne, the first half in Sydney was an arm wrestle, we got out to a lead, and then held onto it despite the fast-finishing, star-studded Queenslanders who were in the midst of their 8 series wins on the trot.

I don't know if the 80,000 people there (including me) were lost in the moment, or if we genuinely believed that we'd win game 3 in Brisbane - but 80k people left Stadium Australia that night thinking that we'd won. The stadium atmosphere carried over to the trains afterwards too, which might've been the coolest part.

As I say, I've been fortunate to be at some cool sporting events, and I know others would say that split crowds are the best - but you won't convince me that the very best atmosphere isn't created by a home team winning in front of 80,000+ people all cheering on the same team. (We've seen it in the AFL the last 2 GFs as well.)

Anyway, I bet I'm the first and only person in this thread to mention an NSL moment. I was at the Perth vs Wollongong 2000 major semi final. 1-0 after the first leg, then we equalised in the 85th minute then scored the winner in the 93rd. Loudest I've ever heard Subiaco Oval attending footy, rugby and soccer from 1992 to 2007.

Obviously we won't talk about what happened two weeks later.

Scenes like people throwing plastic beer cups around Brighton beach while England win on pennos, or did you see Spain win the World Cup in Barcelona, or did you go to Oasis at Knebworth? Or was it just the Toiges winning the flag? lmk.

This was a pretty fun Tuesday

Also was on the Mall for William and Kate's wedding.
Opening Ceremony of the 2012 Olympics was pretty amazing

It'll be pretty wild here if England can win two more games.

And - fingers crossed - even better when France or Belgium hand their asses back to them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back