Environment Best atmosphere you've been part of?

Remove this Banner Ad

The worst thing about England at the moment is the amount of people who have more German/Scandinavian/Dutch (Italians and Slvas would never support anyone but their own homeland) heritage and getting around them like it's their right, or like it's their second team. I support England in the cricket more so to piss off people who love Ricky Ponting but I've got nothing else except stodgy, bastardised, bog average English blood so this is my one time I can actually claim some sort of ownership.

It's borderline cultural appropriation!

Knew a guy in his 20s in 2010 who supported England because Australia were s**t pre-2005 and his grandfather lived there a thousand years ago. I didn't really care but gave him s**t about it as he had no trouble supporting Australia in cricket.

I get first gen kids growing up following Spurs and England for example because that's who their Dad used to go and watch and stays up to see on Saturday nights etc. I have a mate like that but his old man has been here since the late 70s or early 80s and my mate is in his 30s and they're both rapt to see Australia making WC's now and always want to see them do well.

****ed if I'm going to support England because of some long lost great grandparent 5 generations ago.

Been to five Grand Finals & a packed-to-the-rafters Upton Park/KingPower stadium, but the best atmosphere for mine is when the Gabba gets rocking - 2009 Elim or the Miracle on Grass were both practically deafeningly loud.

Why live in England and be so against them?
English girlfriend.

England are arch enemy on the sporting field. No matter how many English friends I continue to accumulate could I never support them on the field.

It would be worse than supporting fremantle.

Just seemed strange to move to a country where you hate the locals.

Disliking the sporting team is not the same as disliking the locals.

But I do wish English people nothing but sporting misery.

English girlfriend.

England are arch enemy on the sporting field. No matter how many English friends I continue to accumulate could I never support them on the field.

It would be worse than supporting fremantle.

Disliking the sporting team is not the same as disliking the locals.

But I do wish English people nothing but sporting misery.

There's a rivalry in the cricket but not in football. I was born in England and now live in Australia and my kids are little Aussies. I wanted both the Socceroos and England to do well. Fair enough if you don't want to support England but I don't see why you would wish your friends and girlfriend misery.

Fair enough if you don't want to support England but I don't see why you would wish your friends and girlfriend misery.
The Mrs hates sport so she was happy with Wednesday's result. She was getting the shits with everyone in her office talking nothing but football.

As for the lads - it's nothing personal. I cop and expect the same from them for Australian sporting teams.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Need to get out more but the first showdown at Adelaide Oval. I was royally pissed and very happy at the end.

Was in Ibiza when Spain won the world cup then in Berlin when Germany won. Both places were going off, everyone was delirious.

Protest marches or Pride marches, the feeling of being in a mass gathering with like minded people is amazing.
Pride marches are great! Everyone seems to like the same music.

I haven't marched in years on a Pride March, the Adelaide one is kinda s**t to be honest. I went to a couple of London Prides though and they were immense.
I was at midsumma this year with a few of my gay mates and it was amazing.

One of bigger roars I heard was when Mitchell Johnson bowled Stuart Broad first ball a couple of years ago after he spent five minutes bitching about the sight screen. Place exploded.
Oh my, that was glorious. It felt like closer to ten minutes with the crowd (even the SACA members) revving up Johnson and giving it to Broad the whole time.

I've never experienced an electric atmosphere at an AFL game, I've been at some thrillers but the crowd is usually pretty tame.

European music festivals are hard to go past, the mix of cultures and personalities coming together for a common purpose is pretty insane to think about.
Did you go to Carlton Richmond in 2013?

That was easily the best footy atmosphere I’ve ever been to. Two sides starved of success for ages going against each other at the G. The Richmond fans were insanely loud when they ran out that day and also when they got on top early. When Judd kicked a goal in the 3rd the noise was deafening.

Would love to see two teams like that in a grand final. Melbourne would be insane for the entire week long build up.

I haven't marched in years on a Pride March, the Adelaide one is kinda s**t to be honest. I went to a couple of London Prides though and they were immense.

Yeah the Pride marches are awesome, nothing like wearing an Aussie flag as a cape and throwing bottles at non white people!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back