Best aussie squad of 17 you'd choose (of the players you've seen)

Remove this Banner Ad

Taylor (c)
Hayden
Ponting
Chappell, G
Smith
Border
Gilchrist (w)
Warne
Lillee
Alderman
McGrath

Lyon
Waugh, S
Marsh, R (w)
Boon
Lee

Elliott
Rogers
Hodge
Jones
Lehmann
Handscomb
Wade
Reiffel
Warne
Hughes
Fleming

Maxwell
Pattinson
Siddle
McDonald
Miller
Harris
West Australian opener & swing bowler, Tassie keeper, 2nd best batsman from Adelaide.

Tried to do this without looking at any one else’s side so if I miss anyone blatant it’s just an oversight

Langer
Boon
Ponting
Smith
Border
Waugh
Gilchrist
Johnson
Warne
McGrath
McDermott

Close: M Waugh. M Hayden, B Reid, D Martyn

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Trescothick
Cook
Vaughan
Root
Pietersen
Flintoff
Stewart
Broad
Swann
Gough
Anderson

Thorpe
Stokes
Prior
Panesar
Hoggard
Jones
I am presumably a bit older.
Using yours as a base, and without thinking too hard

Gooch (c)
Cook
Root
Gower
Gatting
Botham
Russell (+) [I only saw Knott a couple of times as a kid, not enough to include him - Russell the better keeper of the remainder]
Flintoff
Gough
Swann [never saw Underwood]
Anderson [although, "in all conditions", maybe not in the eleven sometimes]

Atherton
Stewart [open, middle order, or reserve keeper]
Hoggard [maybe Angus Fraser, not a name I would expect to pop up, England have had some trash teams over the journey]
S Broad
Embeurey
Willis [barely remember, included largely on reputation]

In the end including Botham was harder than you might expect. His bowling wasn't good enough often to be a fourth bowler, and his batting wasn't good enough to really justify top six in this team (which meant playing Flintoff over Broad was clearer, as the batting needed the boost). Included largely because it would be sacrilege to leave him out. At the very peak of his form, probably the first picked, but overall not so much.

With Botham, Flintoff and Gough (D Gough, not Gough ) in the one side, at least you know they'll put up a fight regardless of circumstance.

I am presumably a bit older.
Using yours as a base, and without thinking too hard

Gooch (c)
Cook
Root
Gower
Gatting
Botham
Russell (+) [I only saw Knott a couple of times as a kid, not enough to include him - Russell the better keeper of the remainder]
Flintoff
Gough
Swann [never saw Underwood]
Anderson [although, "in all conditions", maybe not in the eleven sometimes]

Atherton
Stewart [open, middle order, or reserve keeper]
Hoggard [maybe Angus Fraser, not a name I would expect to pop up, England have had some trash teams over the journey]
S Broad
Embeurey
Willis [barely remember, included largely on reputation]

In the end including Botham was harder than you might expect. His bowling wasn't good enough often to be a fourth bowler, and his batting wasn't good enough to really justify top six in this team (which meant playing Flintoff over Broad was clearer, as the batting needed the boost). Included largely because it would be sacrilege to leave him out. At the very peak of his form, probably the first picked, but overall not so much.

With Botham, Flintoff and Gough (D Gough, not Gough ) in the one side, at least you know they'll put up a fight regardless of circumstance.
Graham Thorpe in for Gatting I'd argue.

1. Hayden

2. Taylor (C)

3. Ponting

4. Smith

5. S Waugh

6. Border

7. Gilchrist (wk)

8. Warne

9. Lee

10. Alderman

11. McGrath

RESERVES

12. Langer

13. M Waugh

14. Harris

15. Healy (wk)

16. Lyon

17. Gillespie

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
Best I've seen a decent amount of in my lifetime:

ML Hayden
DA Warner
RT Ponting
SPD Smith
MJ Clarke
MEK Hussey
AC Gilchrist
MG Johnson
SK Warne
MA Cameron
GD McGrath

Reserves:

JL Langer
SM Katich
SR Watson
RJ Harris
PJ Cummins
JL Pattinson

You may think Mark Cameron looks a touch out of place on this list, but he was quite possibly the best Australian fast bowler of his era on his day. If his back hadn't have been made out of glass he could have won Tests for Australia

I wish

Seriously though, bloke could bowl h00ping outswing at 150 clicks, was absolutely lethal on his day. Just couldn't stay on the park for any length of time

Damien Martyn is one of those players you'd pay to just watch him. I'd have him in my side even if he wasn't necessarily as formidable as other players in his position in previous eras just because the top order will take care of that.

That said following him on social media is a ride. The guy posts often about promoting environmentalism / climate change and criticises Scott Morrison, but then loves Trump/US right wing conspiracy theorists who think environmentalism is a fraud. It's a weird contradiction but his career as a player is all I care for. He was batting elegance.

Replying before I read other people's 17:

Langer
Boon
Ponting
Smith
Waugh
Border
Gilchrist +
Warne
Cummins
McDermott
McGrath

Waugh
Hussey
Healy +
Johnson
Gillespie
MacGill

Rest of the world best I've seen:

Greenidge
Gooch
Sangakarra +
Tendulkar
Richards
Lara
Imran *
Hadlee
Marshall
Ambrose
Murali

DeVilliers
Wasim
Steyn
Donald
Dravid
Kumble

Rest of the world best I've seen:

Greenidge
Gooch
Sangakarra +
Tendulkar
Richards
Lara
Imran *
Hadlee
Marshall
Ambrose
Murali

DeVilliers
Wasim
Steyn
Donald
Dravid
Kumble

couldn't even squeeze kallis into the squad at a minimum ?

great side, however and would be hard to beat in any conditions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back