Best Australian Film Ever

What is the best Australian film ever?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Jon Blake might have been in The Anzacs mini series too which was another great Australian WW1 production featuring Paul Hogan as the wag.

Over 5 big nights on Ch7 back in 1985, the glory days of the mini series.

Jon Blake was tipped to be the next Mel Gibson from memory.

Malcom

===========

Now other people will remember better than I, or have much more knowledge on the topic. Maybe Edgie?

But back in the day, '70's. At least some of the '80's. Didn't Australia have tax laws where investing in local films was tax deductable? Leading to the rich flogs of the day pumping money that way for tax dodges rather than SMSFs. And that had the side effect of a relatively pumping sector which produced a good number differing genre films, most of which starring Jack Thompson? Definitely a different time.

Last edited:
Malcom

===========

Now other people will remember better than I, or have much more knowledge on the topic. Maybe Edgie?

But back in the day, '70's. At least some of the '80's. Didn't Australia have tax laws where investing in local films was tax deductable? Leading to the rich flogs of the day pumping money that way for tax dodges rather than SMSFs. And that had the side effect of a relatively pumping sector which produced a good number differing genre films, most of which starring Jack Thompson. Definitely a different time.
There's a doco called Not Quite Hollywood about the films of that era.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Castle by a mile

Priscilla

Mad Max series

Gallipoli

Also Proof

And that one with Geoffrey Rush about a piano ( what was that one ?)

Australia had a lot of weird ass art house style movies back in the day
Mad Max was just another that became more well known

The Cars that Ate Paris...

The Adventures of Barry McKenzie...

The Great McCarthy

I think Jon Blake might have been in The Anzacs mini series too which was another great Australian WW1 production featuring Paul Hogan as the wag.

Over 5 big nights on Ch7 back in 1985, the glory days of the mini series.

Jon Blake was tipped to be the next Mel Gibson from memory.

It’s on Stan. I re-watch it once a year. Paul Hogan’s first acting credit. Also a cameo from Glenn Robbins.

Yes Jon Blake was tipped to have huge career.

My top 10

1. Gettin' Square
2. Lantana
3. Mad Max: Fury Road
4. Gallipoli
5. Crocodile Dundee
6. The Dish
7. Mad Max
8. Malcolm
9. Romper Stomper
10. Razorback

Is that the Tarantino one?

He has a doco where he discusses why he feels Oz cinema was the best and how it influenced him a lot
It's more specifically the ozploitation movement, rather than Oz cinema at large. Tarantino was a fan of a lot of those ozploitation films, very Quentin-core stuff.

Can't beat the Mad Max films.

Mad Max and Mad Max 2 are Oz film classics.

Mad Max 3 Beyond Thunderdome was a mistake.

Mad Max Fury Road was a return to form, the best Oz film I've seen in ages.

George Miller is a genius.

Mad Max 1 & 2 are legendary in Australian cinema

Back