Remove this Banner Ad

Gallipoli >>>

The Castle
Breaker Morant
Priscilla Queen of the Desert
Rabbit Proof Fence
Crocodile Dundee
Mad Max
Hounds of Love < underrated and won a host of local and international awards. Based on David/Catherine Birnie Moorehouse murders.
Babe
Jindabyne

Some good selections named. I'd add a few more.

Ghosts of the civil dead
Patrick
The man from Hong Kong
Roadgames
Turkey Shoot
Dead end drive inn
The Cars that ate Paris (Peter Weir's directorial debut).
He died with a falafel in his hands
These final hours

My favourite would be either Mad Max or Gallipoli. These final hours is one of my favourite 'modern' releases. The bloke singing the Richmond theme song while taking a leak kills me everytime.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure if anyone has mentioned The Adventures of Barry McKenzie. An absolute cultural classic.

The Matrix would have to be the best if it is considered an Australia film (as it was filmed in Australia).

agree with picnic at hanging rock & the castle.

i think that the ethereal mystery of picnic at hanging rock was very entrancing and interesting when i was younger (even going so far as to force my parents to take a detour to drive by it and go for a stroll a while back. it's interesting and i think unique in that it represents a different era for australia... almost.

the castle is just great cinema simple as

Not sure if anyone has mentioned The Adventures of Barry McKenzie. An absolute cultural classic.

The Matrix would have to be the best if it is considered an Australia film (as it was filmed in Australia).

Showed us Edna Everage before she was knighted too, a mere housewife from Moonee Ponds and Bazza's Auntie

Picnic at Hanging Rock was just creepy to see as a little kid.
Weird but good movie. Not sure I seen it since a little kid.
Should try to watch it again now.

That film scared me more than most horror films, very spooky with the music and with the way it's shot, you don't see anything bad but you can feel it.

There is just this constant uneasy feeling of dread, it's a very well made film but not one I would want to watch again like some other Australian films.

That film scared me more than most horror films, very spooky with the music and with the way it's shot, you don't see anything bad but you can feel it.

There is just this constant uneasy feeling of dread, it's a very well made film but not one I would want to watch again like some other Australian films.
i feel like the art of horror is what lies in the unknown, and a lot of modern horror cinema doesn't understand that. I read dracula recently (and reread frankenstein after ignoring it in high school lol) and a lot of the horror in those books comes from the notion of not oversharing information. what's terrifying is the fear of the unknown, not the wacky creature or whatever.

For people who don’t have The Castle in their top 10, can I respectfully ask why?

I don’t want to call you al Qaeda sympathisers but…
Simple really.
It's a film I always get enjoyment out of, I generally always laugh when I watch it and it makes me feel good about people again.

• Stone
  • Picnic at Hanging Rock - never appreciated this until around 5 years ago when I watched it again after 40 years
  • Gallipoli
  • The Big Steal
  • On The Beach - made in Australia
  • Samson and Delilah - a very hard watch
  • Gettin Square
  • The Picture Show Man
  • Summerfield
  • Crackerjack
  • The Castle

Not necessarily the best, but my favourites

Back