Best Australian test batsmen this century

Remove this Banner Ad

IMO Ponting wasn't a good player to watch, but that's just me. I just didn't like his technique. For me Langer was the best player to watch of the Aussie batsmen. Not a big man but the way he would just crack the ball through the covers with exquisite timing and grace was one of the best sights in world cricket. He is perhaps the best cover-driver of the ball there's ever been.

How did this get past the censors? He wasn’t even in the top two best cover drivers of his generation from Western Australia.

For the first half of his career Langer was criticised for being a nurdler. We love him here because Westralia but he wasn't as good to watch as Mark Waugh or Mark Waugh 2.0 AKA Damien Martyn. I'd prefer to watch Hussey bat, too. Was an excellent off side player and also had the ability to go into beast mode and hit big through the on side, hence he was an ODI/T20 gun.

Ponting was the most complete Aussie batsmen of the era. Had all the strokes and would score freely on both sides of the wicket and forward/backward of square.

100%

For me I enjoyed watching Hussey bat over Ponting. Ponting was no doubt more talented but there was something quite likeable about Hussey.

Gilchrist was even better to watch as you could see he just liked life in his approach to everything.

You are entitled to your opinion. Punter in full flight was simply awesome. The greatest player of the Pull shot I ever saw and the best Aussie batsman I ever saw who dominated bowlers, Langer was a great player but,didn't dominate attacks like Ricky.The only batsman to over shadow Punter was the great Sir Viv.

Agree 100%

Watching Ponting, well set, take apart an attack, i can't think of anyone who was as good to watch.

I remember Alan Donald said with Ponting, some days you would run in and after the first couple of deliveries you would feel like you were wasting your time. Punter always stood up in the big games too.

You are entitled to your opinion. Punter in full flight was simply awesome. The greatest player of the Pull shot I ever saw and the best Aussie batsman I ever saw who dominated bowlers, Langer was a great player but,didn't dominate attacks like Ricky.The only batsman to over shadow Punter was the great Sir Viv.

Watching Sir Viv was awesome!

I remember he played the most amazing shot off an “almost” Yorker off his feet. With no footwork, he just slightly leaned across to the on side like the leaning tower of Pisa. Then with the most amazing timing and a swish of the bat, played the ball off his feet and over the rope for six!

I’ve never seen a more remarkable shot demonstrating power and timing.

Damien Martyn and Shaun Marsh hit cover drives you could set your watch to.

The Marshs have their critics but they certainly know how to hit orthodox strokes. Shaun is very good to watch forward of square through the off side.

I'd like to see either of them hit a straight drive on one of those playing fields with a bunch of ovals just to see how far the ball would travel. Mitch hit a couple in the WACA test that would've dented the fence even after hitting the giant rope.

Ponting at his best was brilliant. Mike Hussey the slightly underrated of the players

Gilly the best to watch
Never forget Ponting's 100 Manchester 2005.Michael Clarke shoulded arms to Simon Jones and was bowled. The ball was doing everything on that day 5.

Watching Sir Viv was awesome!

I remember he played the most amazing shot off an “almost” Yorker off his feet. With no footwork, he just slightly leaned across to the on side like the leaning tower of Pisa. Then with the most amazing timing and a swish of the bat, played the ball off his feet and over the rope for six!

I’ve never seen a more remarkable shot demonstrating power and timing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Further to this, Martyn score 6 from 59 deliveries in that test. Also scored 59 in the first innings, one of only three batsmen to contribute.

Slater (in his 11th test) lasted 7 balls, Mark Waugh 36, captain Border 13, Ian Healy 8, Warne 2... one lofted cover drive and it's all Martyn's fault. Give me a break. Only Taylor and Boon showed any leadership until McDermott came in.

Yep!!!
He learned his lesson too, which was the best part.

Yeah, and the test team missed out on 6 years of his batting so we could play Greg Blewett and Matthew Elliott instead.

Blooding Martyn at 21 then unceremoniously dumping him after 7 tests was horrible, horrible management from the ACB.

Further to this, Martyn score 6 from 59 deliveries in that test. Also scored 59 in the first innings, one of only three batsmen to contribute.

Slater (in his 11th test) lasted 7 balls, Mark Waugh 36, captain Border 13, Ian Healy 8, Warne 2... one lofted cover drive and it's all Martyn's fault. Give me a break. Only Taylor and Boon showed any leadership until McDermott came in.

Yeah, and the test team missed out on 6 years of his batting so we could play Greg Blewett and Matthew Elliott instead.

Blooding Martyn at 21 then unceremoniously dumping him after 7 tests was horrible, horrible management from the ACB.

Bullshit. To let the tailend batsmen dominate in such circumstances and fail to keep score moving himself was a total disaster. It was amazing McDermott nearly got us home with Martyn so useless at that point.
He was terrible and only someone trying to re-write history or not see it at the time would try to paint a different picture of what went on. He had his chances and blew it. Elllott was much better to watch until Mark Waugh ran into him and stuffed his career. Blewett was good for a few years.
When Martyn matured and came back later in his career he was a lot better but we had got to number 1 in world by the other batsmen that earned their spot ahead of him. Kudos to Martyn for later on making a much better go of his Test career when he was older and made to earn it after ******* up so bad his chances when he was younger.

OK m8. Dropping a 23 year old for 6 years because he played a poor shot in a tight chase in his 7th test is good the player's career.

Elliott and Blewett both averaged less than 35 from a combined 67 tests. They were ordinary.

Still better than Martyn would have done in that time and why they picked and he not in those years.
I was thankful to see back of him and us replace Windies as number 1 in world with others in 1995.

Blewett 129 partnership with Steve Waugh in final Test to give us a big lead to finally knock Windies over is something Martyn would have failed to do back then. If we stuck with Martyn we probably see what we saw from him at SCG and melt in the big moments. Coming back years later when the other guys got us to number 1 took the pressure off him, he failed to handle as a youngster. He was a marvel in his later career.

100%

For me I enjoyed watching Hussey bat over Ponting. Ponting was no doubt more talented but there was something quite likeable about Hussey.

Gilchrist was even better to watch as you could see he just liked life in his approach to everything.
Yeh Hussey dominated attacks and was a more fluent player than Punter.:drunk:

Power Raid with all due respect that comment is surely trolling? Well played

Remove this Banner Ad

Back