Best Australian Test Bowling Duos.

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't rate Warne as he always performed pretty bad against our God Sachin

As I suspected, nothing like the 9 year longevity description.
About three years worth of Tests.

i think the myth of 1975 has just grown over time.

the sheer brillance of lillee and frightening pace of thomson and walker somewhat forgotten.

the 1975 test series was only a 4 test series (coz of the 1st world cup) and lillee/thomson took 37 of the 75 wickets on offer:
lillee 21 wkts @ 22
thomson 16 wkts @ 29

i think the myth of 1975 has just grown over time.

the sheer brillance of lillee and sheer and frightening pace of thomson and walker forgotten.

the 1975 test series was only a 4 test series (coz of the 1st world cup) and lillee/thomson took 37 of the 75 wickets on offer:
lillee 21 wkts @ 22
thomson 16 wkts @ 29
It was such a ferociously short period of time with those two. After Thommo's injury in 1976/77 he was never the same, WSC split them for two years and when they played together after that most of the fire was gone. The Lillian Thomson era was only really about two years, that's what brought about it's mythical status.

The Lillian Thomson era was only really about two years, that's what brought about it's mythical status.
Lillee....
But yes, that was my guess it was only two years just hearing about it so often.
I've never had Thommo in my estimation as being an out and out great bowler like Lillee, but his sheer pace at his zenith must have been something we probably will never see again. I only saw glimpse of it once in some domestic one day match between WA and Qld that was on channel 9. McDonald's Cup match and never seen a batsmen as frightened by sheer pace as saw in a spell that day. The weird thing was, I did see Thommo play some international cricket towards the end but he was like about 15km/h slower that he was in that one game I saw him. Can only assume he dodgy shoulder was not hurting that day for some reason and must have let it rip something like what he did in md 70's.

The taking of five wickets in an innings by a bowler has become known by the nickname "Michelle", which relates of course to Michelle Pfeiffer, with "five for" sounding similar to "Pfeiffer". There is no nickname however for when a bowler takes ten wickets in a match. I would like to propose the taking of ten wickets in a match becomes known as a John, as in John "Ten-for".
Could this terminology possibly get the thumbs up?

Denver1.PNG

The taking of five wickets in an innings by a bowler has become known by the nickname "Michelle", which relates of course to Michelle Pfeiffer, with "five for" sounding similar to "Pfeiffer". There is no nickname however for when a bowler takes ten wickets in a match. I would like to propose the taking of ten wickets in a match becomes known as a John, as in John "Ten-for".

View attachment 1294864

That’s a long bow but about the best available.

View attachment 1294864

Maybe go for Bob, rather than John Denver? Probably best to avoid the 'crash and burn' association.

The most famed duos are;
Ferris Turner
McDonald Gregory
Grimmett O'Reilly
Lindwall Miller
Lillee Thomo
McGrath Warne

Current attack may be most prolific quartet

I was having a think about this kind of thing a little while ago, noting that during the Australian cricket team's lowest on-field point during the mid-80's, they had a really fine battery of quicks. Even South Africa, in current times, which has fallen behind the 8-ball, still has a world class fast bowling lineup. Made me think that batsmen are possibly the most important facet to a team's lineup. Clearly, you need runs to win the match, but then again you can't win without taking 20 wickets. So I don't really know for sure lol.

Anyway, Jack Gregory was the real deal that's for sure. Australia's greatest all-rounder up until Miller.

The 85/86 series against India in Australia were pretty dire in terms of bowling figures; Craig McDermott was out of form and Merv Hughes was barely established. Australia asked a ton of Bruce Reid in this series, he bowled a loooot of overs. Dave Gilbert replaced Merv Hughes at one point and was completely useless; maybe the most ineffectual Australian spearhead I've ever seen.
How we never lost that series is beyond me; India were extremely conservative back then.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They say that the greatest of all-rounders would get picked on merit for either discipline alone.

When thinking of Australians, how many genuine all-rounders have we had according to this criterion? My guess would be Noble, Armstrong, Gregory, Miller & Benaud. Could be missing someone important, but it seems we've been missing that piece of the puzzle since the 60's. Even Armstrong & Benaud are a bit iffy tbh.

Everyone forgets Charlie McCartney. Averaged 42 with the bat and 27 with the ball. Didn't play a huge amount of Test cricket, given the era, but his FC record is awesome.

Yeah I’d agree with that though I never watched Lawson. The first two series I have any recollection of - I was 6 at the time of the first one - was the Ashes in 90-91 and India touring here 91-92. I think in both those series Reid had big Boxing Day tests, he took 13 from memory against England and they just couldn’t cope with his angle and the shape he got. Not many bowlers of his height can swing the ball but he did if I recall correctly.

By God he was a horrid batsman

Garth was up to it with those guys.

I agree about Taylor. I always felt that he could have had way better returns.

Taylor had talent. Could move the ball off the pitch, swing it, and could bowl around 140. Also inexplicably hit a test century and possibly remains the worst batsman to hit one.

Edwards I think was in his own way as good as he could be. He was lightning quick but from his height he was always going to be expensive so it was a bit of a trade off

Remove this Banner Ad

Back