Best Battery drill?

Remove this Banner Ad

Dec 18, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
I have an AEG 18v piece of crap really, battery's are rooted and has no torque whatsoever!

I've heard about and used some good dewaults but just wondering what everyone else reccomends?

I have a Bosch I can't complain about, only use it at home. Industrial use I think it's best to bite the bullet and spend up big on a Dewalt. Use a battery driven Dewalt rattle gun at work that has never let me down.

There is a guy in NSW who sells old model Batterys on E-bay which extended the use of my old Makita. The trigger colapsed in the end and thats why I have the Bosch now.

Yeah i've heard different opinions on bosch so not sure about that, theres so many drills out there with all different battery types etc etc it gets tedious.

Where can you find good drills cheap? is ebay any good?

eBay is fine. A lot of people I know have bought their tools off eBay and they are fine. Even whole kits off eBay.

After using a range of drills I can condfidently say this:

Top tier: Dewalt (Best), Makita (2nd Best), Panasonic (Awesome)

2nd tier: Bosch (Very decent, they seem to last not as long as the best but), Hitachi (Decent but no Makita...), Millwaukee (Heard mixed things, I wouldn't buy one but they seem ok.

Best drills in this order if money not a problem.

Festool T15- Brushless motor powerhouse. Best by a mile i have ever used, and accessories to die for. :thumbsu: If you dont want to pay just under 1k for it, think C12 you can now get for $500 pure bargain.
Hilty - (Down side, Hilty only sell direct. But along with Festool, are the worlds best power tools.)
Panasonic
Protool (Budget Festool)

Intermediate
Porta Cable 18v lithium (would be my choice):thumbsu: great mid price drill
Metabo

If money is tight
Some Makita. dont get one if it has a the grey capped Ni-Cad battery as they are the Chinese ones and are pathetic.
Ryobi and Milwaukee all ok ( now owned by the same company) but are reasonable for the price.
Hitachi

If money is extremely tight

Green Bosch

Avoid at all cost
Ozzito

Also, work out how much use the drill it will get, and base the battery selection on that. li-ion batteries are better for the "irregular" user as they do not have a memory like the ni cads and nimh's.

The best I've used are the Makita LXT series with 18 volt Lithium Ion 3 ampere/hour batteries.

The impact driver and 2 speed drill cover every job. The impact driver is the best I've seen.

DON'T buy anything with NiCad batteries, old hat and about as useful as a 386 computer.

I like Panasonic but most of the brands mentioned here are pretty good, it's really just personal taste. With battery drills it seems all brands produce the occasional lemon, I've even seen a couple of people get dud DeWalts.. Funniest was when the apprentice got a Hitachi that's hammer setting wouldn't work straight out of the box!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah sparky as well.

Doing lots of solar installs atm, all the installers use hitachi (the drills get used very often, about 5 battery changes a day doing 500+ screws)

I've used dewalt 9/10
makita 7/10 (had those grey capped batterys but is brand new so seemed alright)
metabo 8/10
milwaukee - 8/10
AEG - 4/10
Hitachi 8/10

haha yes i know about ozzito, was unfortunate enough to have to use one once and what a pile of s**t it was.

Rubbish. Explain why?

1. They charge quicker
2. They are lighter for the same ampere/hours
3. They don't lose their charge sitting in the garage or tool box
4. They can be recharged at any stage without getting "memory lock"
5. They have more total recharges than NiCad's
6. Go to any shop and they will tell you the same

The LXT series batteries are compatible with torches, lights, grinders, saws etc.

Fitter&Turner/Welder. Lately we're doing alot of beams and post for houses, supply and fit. A mate parks his crane trucks at work and does all our lifting on site when needed. Over the years we've done alot of repairs for the carni folk. Do a variety of things which seem to change week by week.

Yeah sparky as well.

Doing lots of solar installs atm, all the installers use hitachi (the drills get used very often, about 5 battery changes a day doing 500+ screws)

I've used dewalt 9/10
makita 7/10 (had those grey capped batterys but is brand new so seemed alright)
metabo 8/10
milwaukee - 8/10
AEG - 4/10
Hitachi 8/10

haha yes i know about ozzito, was unfortunate enough to have to use one once and what a pile of s**t it was.
Solars! So are we... I personally ****ing hate them!

Don't tell me you enjoy them do you?

Solar. Thinking about getting several panels installed.
Do you think it's worth holding out for a couple of years for the price to come down and or better Government incentives or is this the best time to invest in solar?
Also what are brands to go with and what are the ones not to touch?

Cheers TT.

No i definitely hate it, it's easy work though.

Well i couldn't really tell you TT the melbourne based companies may be completely different to w.a.

We subcontract to a few mobs all have their ups and downs. As for quality solar shop are generally the best they're a S.A. company but have branches in W.A. dunno bout melbourne. Their prices are higher though.

If you're after a basic 1kw system it doesn't really matter all that much though.

As for the whole government rebate side of things i'm literally as clueless as everyone else. I know there are talks about increasing the credit/kwh but that doesn't affect the timing of the installayion really.

The rebate is gone at the moment I'm pretty sure until July when it gets brought up again by the government. I'd probably hold off until then to get the full rebate, otherwise they are pretty expensive.

It all depends what you want to get them for, you can get a cheap basic six panel system pretty cheap but it powers stuff all. Your better of getting like 18 panels (an absolute prick to install).

wce, do you put the rails and panels on as well? Thats the only part of the job I can't stand aye! But if your apprentice I suggest don't doing it for too long because if its all you do you learn **** all about the trade. I'm a 3rd year in 2 weeks and I'm not keen on doing them for the rest of my apprenticeship thats fo sho.

1. They charge quicker
2. They are lighter for the same ampere/hours
3. They don't lose their charge sitting in the garage or tool box
4. They can be recharged at any stage without getting "memory lock"
5. They have more total recharges than NiCad's
6. Go to any shop and they will tell you the same

The LXT series batteries are compatible with torches, lights, grinders, saws etc.

I see your point. But thats the pros on Li-one. I was asking why you think all Ni Cad are crap.:confused:

My Ni-Cad is unstoppable. Its not so much the battery type, but the quality of battery and drill

Yer every now and then i do. We have teams of installers and teams of sparkies but every now and then i help out with the frame work.

Lol i turn 3rd year 1st of july, so roughly the same time.
I've just quit my company though for that exact reason in that i'm learning sfa but i have another job to pick up straight away just gutted i lose 140 hours worth of holidays but it'll be worth it.

Anyone know if the festool T15 has the hammer drill setting? I'm looking moreso for a combination of hammer / drill. Can't afford a fully fledged hammer drill for a while yet :thumbsdown:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back