Analysis Best case scenario 2021: What needs to happen?

Remove this Banner Ad

• Hill, Crouch find their best, B&F winning form. Especially Hill who brings something unique.

This. If these two have best form years in 2021 we are top 4 and right in the mix. If they are just average then I think we are in the same pack of clubs we were in in 2020.

it worries me that he does appear to drop a lot.

I prefer to look at it the other way - how may times does he get his hands in a position to take the mark? That is a good thing, he is eventually going to start clunking them. Put the fumbles down to first year nerves and the fact that he does not yet have the strength to hold ground. He said he has put on 3kg so far this off season and some muscle so expect him to get better in that regard. If he can kick between 30 - 40 be great progress.

With the reintroduction of 20 minutes quarters next year we need to be able to control the tempo of the game better. In a lot of games this year we started like being shot out of a cannon and then we tended to fade as the game progressed. A lot of our third quarters were where we lost momentum and in two cases we surrendered a large lead.

Next year we will be playing another 16 minutes of football compared to this year, so our fitness base in pre-season will be an important factor in how far we progress as a club. We have the nucleus of a good team and if we improve across the board then we can go a long way. Sometimes this year we were easy to score against, mainly because of our attacking game plan. If we can tweak that a bit and keep the ball in our forward half then we should win a lot of games. Ultimately our injury list will decide how far we go but at least we have some real depth in our list now so anything is possible.

Billings was good for the first half of the year and then we moved him off his wing and his output dropped. Membrey was disappointing to me, we played him further from goals and he was very average. Looked Kent level. To me for us to lift we need progression from out backline triplets Coff, Clark and Pats. We need King to go up another level and our small forwards to find a couple more goals a game. Keep Paddy and other older players on the park, Gresham and Crouch to win first use even when weldon't have Paddy dominating.

Competition for midfield spots where if Seb is having a quiet patch someone jumps him and steals his spot. Long to step up and become a consistent rebound defender or lose his spot to one of the others. Defence needs to tighten as they get a bit more experienced while we keep the scoring high.
Long needs to stop getting rubbed out- hopefully Ratts will get the message though. A fit, good developing player sitting on the sidelines for weeks, especially in important games makes it hard for team balance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back