• M Pavlich

Votes: 8 8.8%
  • S Kernahan

Votes: 12 13.2%
  • D Brereton

Votes: 6 6.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Sticks never polls well in this, clearly the best but Bigfooty underrates him.

Came over at 22 and still kicked 700 odd goals at CHF?

Gun. If ever someone was gonna challenge Carey for the King title in the last 30 years it'd be Sticks.

Richo is hard done by to not be included in the poll along with some of the others, given he did kick 800 goals which is more than any of these players. He also sits 4th all time AFL for marks taken, again more than all of this list bar Nick Riewoldt. One of the best contested marks of all time too, with athleticism and a motor to match.

He played a mix of FF and CHF though, but he got up the ground a lot. Should've kicked over 1000 with any half decent delivery.

Last edited:
Jonathan Brown is incredibly overrated. A very good footballer, no doubt. But he played in a dominant team, with Lynch and/or Bradshaw running sidekick. Tredrea was clearly the best CHF of that era, as reflected in his four AA's versus Brown's two. Tredrea is criminally underrated.

Sticks has to be winning this poll but. He kicked 740 goals at Carlton and almost 300 in the SANFL prior.

Pav is just about the most versatile player in recent memory. What a gun he was, back, forward and midfield.

Riwoldt is hurt by his goal kicking and Derm whilst inspirational, is short of these blocks listed.

I remember when Brown was poised to have a big year late 2000's and he came out and completely dominated beast mode. Was easily the best forward in the game and started the next season in even better form.
I can't recall what happened but he suffered an injury midway through then returned but wasn't moving the same.
For whatever reasons, he was never able to recapture that dominance ever again but for a period of 18 months, he was as good as any. Literally marking everything that came his way.

But in terms of most special, Dermott Brereton had it all.
Toughness, leadership and then had the marking prowess of forwards 190cm or beyond.
I can recall when he was picked to play his first ever game and it was the lead up to a knockout final. He comes into the team and boots 5 goals.
He was instrumental in leading Hawthorn to b2b premierships.
The only blemish is his inability to playout an entire season because of suspensions and hip injuries but he was a much better big game leader than Riewoldt, Pavlich and Tredrea ever were.

I remember when Brown was poised to have a big year late 2000's and he came out and completely dominated beast mode. Was easily the best forward in the game and started the next season in even better form.
I can't recall what happened but he suffered an injury midway through then returned but wasn't moving the same.
For whatever reasons, he was never able to recapture that dominance ever again but for a period of 18 months, he was as good as any. Literally marking everything that came his way.

But in terms of most special, Dermott Brereton had it all.
Toughness, leadership and then had the marking prowess of forwards 190cm or beyond.
I can recall when he was picked to play his first ever game and it was the lead up to a knockout final. He comes into the team and boots 5 goals.
He was instrumental in leading Hawthorn to b2b premierships.
The only blemish is his inability to playout an entire season because of suspensions and hip injuries but he was a much better big game leader than Riewoldt, Pavlich and Tredrea ever were.
2006. Was leading the Brownlow after round 10 and went down for the season. He finishes that season the public opinion is extremely different

So he played only the first 10 rounds, and still finished 9th in the Brownlow.

These were his stats in those 10 games.

R - G-D-M
1 - 0.0-10-5 - 0 votes
2 - 3.1-25-17 - 3
3 - 2.3-20-9 - 0
4 - 2.3-19-11 - 1
5 - 2.3-21-12 - 0
6 - 0.0-15-5 - 0
7 - 8.4-25-16 - 3
8 - 7.0-18-6 - 2
9 - 7.3-22-13 - 3
10 - 4.1-14-9 - 1

Last edited:
2006. Was leading the Brownlow after round 10 and went down for the season. He finishes that season the public opinion is extremely different

So he played only the first 10 rounds, and still finished 9th in the Brownlow.

These were his stats in those 10 games.

R - G-D-M
1 - 0.0-10-5 - 0 votes
2 - 3.1-25-17 - 3
3 - 2.3-20-9 - 0
4 - 2.3-19-11 - 1
5 - 2.3-21-12 - 0
6 - 0.0-15-5 - 0
7 - 8.4-25-16 - 3
8 - 7.0-18-6 - 2
9 - 7.3-22-13 - 3
10 - 4.1-14-9 - 1

Brown (and Ablett) took the mantle of best player from Judd in 2007 (won the Coleman). When he wasn’t suspended he kicked arse in 05 too.

Then Franklin had the best season of all time in 2008. Browny still made All Australian in 2009 though. Riewoldt had his seminal year in 2009 which also overshadowed him a bit.
He was a star early-mid 00s and a superstar mid-late 00s ..he isn’t overrated for mine
Fyfe is another captain always suspended and injured and so doesn’t have the AAs or BnFs

Last edited:
Back