• Mark Nicholas

• Mark Taylor

• Michael Clarke

• Michael Slater

• Shane Warne

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Dear Mods,

I would like to forward my opinion that we should have the option to give negative votes in this thread.

I would like to particularly refer to Slater, Healy and Tayor who have all worked hard over the years to be flog commentators, have demanded no respect and have made the channel 9 team a laughing stock. That effort needs to be rewarded with a negative vote.

Regards,
Jiphoc

Dear Mods,

I would like to forward my opinion that we should have the option to give negative votes in this thread.

I would like to particularly refer to Slater, Healy and Tayor who have all worked hard over the years to be flog commentators, have demanded no respect and have made the channel 9 team a laughing stock. That effort needs to be rewarded with a negative vote.

Regards,
Jiphoc
Slater is on 0 and Healy is on 1. I think their standing is being reflected in the results.

Taylor I don't think deserves to be grouped with those two but each to their own.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Chappell would know more about cricket than just about anyone. My only issue with him is that he's very sanctimonious and self righteous about the whole "Australian way" concept. I can live with that kind of stuff if it's a two way street, but it's always the touring side who his snide remarks are directed at regarding tactics.

Classic was the South African's batting out two full days to save a test on an absolute road in Adelaide about four years ago. He was relentless in moaning about them showing patience and discipline rather than blazing away trying to chase down some astronomical score. In the end what happened? The remarkable guts displayed by du Plessis, de Villiers and Kallis assisted by their supporting acts wore our bowlers into the ground with a two day turnaround meaning that our pace attack was replaced by a second string lineup for the deciding Perth test. They then proceeded to make hay when the sun shone and claimed the series with that solitary win. Brilliant tactics that should be applauded.

I get that he used the whole "my way or the highway" approach to great effect throughout his time as captain. It must have given his charges great confidence to be filing in behind a guy who always had a definitive answer regardless of the situation. But the best commentators recognise that different approaches are more appropriate in certain situations.

Irrespective of all that I think he adds good value to the commentary box, just through his technical insights and serious approach contrasting to the majority around him. Won't find him guffawing and yeeha-ing about segways or in jokes.

I think Chappell knows the most, but he can be a bit too stubborn about his own cricketing ideology and for that matter too rigid. It's often too much towards the opposition too.

Voting Nicholas actually, I don't notice his hyperbole as much, knows a lot about the game and he's a better presenter than most on 9.

Though apart from Healy 9 this year isn't that bad. Taylor and even Slater's improved, KP and Clarke are decent additions IMO and while Warne is awful when with guys he played with, if he's in the right combo you actually do learn a lot off him.

Best Australian commentator overall is Ponting though, IMO.

I think Chappell knows the most, but he can be a bit too stubborn about his own cricketing ideology and for that matter too rigid. It's often too much towards the opposition too.

Voting Nicholas actually, I don't notice his hyperbole as much, knows a lot about the game and he's a better presenter than most on 9.

Though apart from Healy 9 this year isn't that bad. Taylor and even Slater's improved, KP and Clarke are decent additions IMO and while Warne is awful when with guys he played with, if he's in the right combo you actually do learn a lot off him.

Best Australian commentator overall is Ponting though, IMO.

Agreed that Nicholas is probably my favourite too.

And also with Warney - yes, when commentating for Sky he's a very different proposition. Especially in the neutral series' where he doesn't have to participate in the Ashes banter.

Clarke. Seriously was s**t last year but has been great so far. KP OK provided he doesn't waffle. Chappelli intelligent and astute but can be as boring as batshit if he goes on with one of his stories.

Nicholas lost the plot. Healy bias as ever. Slats tries to be too rock star for test cricket. Especially when round the boys.

The ABC commentary team

Oh wait, that wasn't an option? Well... probably Warne when he talks about cricket and not faffing about with other stuff. Otherwise I've enjoyed Pieterson actually.

Back