Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Mar 10, 2007
Ensconced in velvet
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Lakers, West Ham
I posted something in the Hickey thread about how we seem to recruit a lot of rucks from West Coast (Ball, Seaby, Sinclair, Hickey) and it got me thinking about which club has been the best "breeding ground" for us over the years?

Recent times we did well with JPK, McGlynn and Buddy from the Hawks. Got Spida a year too late, though. Collingwood were generous enough to give us two players who contributed to our 2005 flag with Davis and Williams, but even before that we saw guys like Schauble and Ahmat running around for us.

The Saints used to be huge. Locket and Barry Hall the obvious steals from them. Unfortunately that Irish flop ruined the streak.

I can really only comment on players we picked up from 95 onwards because that’s when I started watching footy but it seems there are clubs we never really trade with. I can’t remember doing much with Fremantle except being mad that they got Troy Cook and Geelong have been a disaster for us with gems like Spriggs, Chambers, Menzel etc.

I’m also fuzzy on the details of how North got Longmire and Carey but they also got Shannon Grant so they comfortably fit into the nightmare category.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
I posted something in the Hickey thread about how we seem to recruit a lot of rucks from West Coast (Ball, Seaby, Sinclair, Hickey) and it got me thinking about which club has been the best "breeding ground" for us over the years?

Recent times we did well with JPK, McGlynn and Buddy from the Hawks. Got Spida a year too late, though. Collingwood were generous enough to give us two players who contributed to our 2005 flag with Davis and Williams, but even before that we saw guys like Schauble and Ahmat running around for us.

The Saints used to be huge. Locket and Barry Hall the obvious steals from them. Unfortunately that Irish flop ruined the streak.

I can really only comment on players we picked up from 95 onwards because that’s when I started watching footy but it seems there are clubs we never really trade with. I can’t remember doing much with Fremantle except being mad that they got Troy Cook and Geelong have been a disaster for us with gems like Spriggs, Chambers, Menzel etc.

I’m also fuzzy on the details of how North got Longmire and Carey but they also got Shannon Grant so they comfortably fit into the nightmare category.

We actually sold Carey/Longmire to North its a black period in our dark days so it doesn't get discussed.

Carey was the "steak knives" in the deal that saw himself and Longmire, who were zoned to Sydney at the time due to their Riverina extraction, sold to the Kangaroos as teenagers in 1987 for the princely total of $70,000.

It sounds worse for the Swans every time it is spun.

"It's long enough now - it was worse when I was playing against them," said Swans icon Paul Kelly, another Wagga boy who was named in the opposite pocket.

"We all knew - it wasn't much money. At the time we were broke."

brad cooper

Premiership Player
Jul 5, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney

the flip side to your Geelong trades in, is that we traded them Jason Mooney for pick 8 which got us Jude Bolton.

in fairness the Shannon Grant trade we got Wayne Schwass back in return so wasn't do bad. that was still at a time where we lost players after their initial draft contract.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Not mentioned but what puts West Coast over the edge of the other clubs is what West Coast did with us in hiding our pick from the Blakey bid. Sure West Coast got something out of it too but it took a lot of trust on our end to do that because West Coast could have seriously screwed us if they chose not to trade that first rounder back. Shows both clubs trust each other.

brad cooper

Premiership Player
Jul 5, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Not mentioned but what puts West Coast over the edge of the other clubs is what West Coast did with us in hiding our pick from the Blakey bid. Sure West Coast got something out of it too but it took a lot of trust on our end to do that because West Coast could have seriously screwed us if they chose not to trade that first rounder back. Shows both clubs trust each other.
they still have a sense of guilt over their junkie 06 flag

DeadlyAkkuret

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Mar 10, 2007
Ensconced in velvet
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Lakers, West Ham
We haven't lately but we used to have a good trading relationship with Collingwood as well. Davis, Williams, Jolly, Shaw, I never felt like the trades were unfair one way or another.

I think we got Jolly from Melbourne, then lost him to Collingwood.

Craig Bird says hi.
That's nice of him, how is he?

We have a great recent trade record with the Eagles.

Seem to get fairish stuff done with no fuss.

Even traded finals results back in the day

05 QF 4 point win WCE
05 GF 4 point win Syd

06 QF 1 point win Syd
06 GF 1 point win WCE

Crust

All Australian
Jun 9, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SUANFC
Many forget that we had rocca and licuria that we traded to pies

And Jesse White

dosser

Club Legend
Sep 15, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Craig Bird says hi.
And Ben Doolan, Michael Werner and Ed Considine! Ah, the glory days...

DeadlyAkkuret

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Mar 10, 2007
Ensconced in velvet
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Lakers, West Ham
Getting deals done like grown ups with near value is WCE and Hawks. Getting a deal done but being screwed is St Kilda. Worst is always Bombers, but we haven't done too much with them for a while.

You didn’t think Ryan O'Connor and Bomford were steals?

We are the best Club to deal with. We mostly take unders, with the exceptions that with Rohan we really tore the Cats a new one and of course we also ripped off the Pies.

An ex Swan has played in the last five Premierships and we traded a subsequent Brownlow Winner for Sanboys.

the flip side to your Geelong trades in, is that we traded them Jason Mooney for pick 8 which got us Jude Bolton.

in fairness the Shannon Grant trade we got Wayne Schwass back in return so wasn't do bad. that was still at a time where we lost players after their initial draft contract.

I never liked the Schwass trade he was indeed a great player but it was a straight swap and Grant was so young and played on many years after Schwass retired. Even that one we got the lesser of the trade

Back