Opinion Best combined Richmond premiership team 1967-2020

THE THIN MAN

🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆🏆
Jan 7, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
1632863182801.png

1632863088624.png

Throughout this season, Richmond’s premier podcast Talking Tigers tackled the tough task of selecting the Club’s best combined premiership team from 1967-2020.

The Talking Tigers team members had to evaluate players from eight Richmond premiership sides in that time frame.

In each episode, TT named one player from a list of nominations, starting with the small back pocket and all the way through to the last spot on the interchange bench.

The number of premierships for each player, along with how they’d performed in those winning Grand Finals, were key selection factors.

That meant many top players missed out, however, as you can see below, the final line-up is an exceptional one.

Here is the star-studded side selected by Talking Tigers (and announced in the old-fashioned format)...

Backs: Roger Dean (two premierships), Alex Rance (one premiership), Dylan Grimes (three premierships)

Half-backs: Bachar Houli (three), Robert McGhie (two), Nick Vlastuin (three)

Centres: Francis Bourke (five), Bill Barrot (two), Dick Clay (four)

Half-forwards: Shane Edwards (three), Royce Hart (four), Kevin Bartlett (five)

Forwards: Dustin Martin (three), Jack Riewoldt (three), David Cloke (two)

Followers: Michael Green (four), Kevin Sheedy (three)

Rover: Trent Cotchin (three)

Interchange: Paul Sproule (two), Toby Nankervis (three), Barry Richardson (three), Geoff Raines (one)

Feb 6, 2019
Murfreesboro, TENN
AFL Club
Richmond
Great team, you could quibble about this player for that... so I will!
Merv Keane just has to be in that side, possibly for Paul Sproule.
Robbie McGhie was a seriously good player.

I'm with you .. Swervin Mervyn has to be in that side.
Sproule out.
Don't let the pic of Robbie McGhie with a f** in his mouth doing up his laces fool you ... was a seriously brilliant footballer and an absolute key in those 73 and 74 wins.

guruisatiger

Grand Poohbah of Ganymede
Oct 25, 2006
from the hinterlands of sri lanka and tibet
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
B.S.C youngboys.. Borussia Dortmund
View attachment 1248586
View attachment 1248585

Throughout this season, Richmond’s premier podcast Talking Tigers tackled the tough task of selecting the Club’s best combined premiership team from 1967-2020.

The Talking Tigers team members had to evaluate players from eight Richmond premiership sides in that time frame.

In each episode, TT named one player from a list of nominations, starting with the small back pocket and all the way through to the last spot on the interchange bench.

The number of premierships for each player, along with how they’d performed in those winning Grand Finals, were key selection factors.

That meant many top players missed out, however, as you can see below, the final line-up is an exceptional one.

Here is the star-studded side selected by Talking Tigers (and announced in the old-fashioned format)...

Backs: Roger Dean (two premierships), Alex Rance (one premiership), Dylan Grimes (three premierships)

Half-backs: Bachar Houli (three), Robert McGhie (two), Nick Vlastuin (three)

Centres: Francis Bourke (five), Bill Barrot (two), Dick Clay (four)

Half-forwards: Shane Edwards (three), Royce Hart (four), Kevin Bartlett (five)

Forwards: Dustin Martin (three), Jack Riewoldt (three), David Cloke (two)

Followers: Michael Green (four), Kevin Sheedy (three)

Rover: Trent Cotchin (three)

Interchange: Paul Sproule (two), Toby Nankervis (three), Barry Richardson (three), Geoff Raines (one)

How is Kevin Bartlett not first rover

Jul 3, 2008
eastern-most tiger in the nation
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Abers
I'm with you .. Swervin Mervyn has to be in that side.
Sproule out.
Don't let the pic of Robbie McGhie with a f** in his mouth doing up his laces fool you ... was a seriously brilliant footballer and an absolute key in those 73 and 74 wins.
McGhie is always in my team's like this. I guess I saw more footy games in the very late 60s up to mid 70s.
And started getting back into it mid 90s.

Ceehook

Club Legend
Oct 3, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
calling on any fellow old farts here to check my memory

no.1 ruck Michael Green , i'd put forward The Whale Roberts as the best ruck that had played in a Richmond premiership , he just didn't show his best form in Tigers colours

in the first game V Swans at the Lakeside Oval after the Pitura trade The Whale absolutely took Green to the cleaners

I remember The Whale's first game , he played in dunlop volley's and just stood at the top of the goal square
had three shots for goal 10 yards out dead in front for 1.1 and one of bounds
in following games he must have been under instructions to handball only and KB and others would do circles around him to get a handball
obviously he got a lot of intense coaching and got a way lot better

roll forward

In the weeks before that dreadded trade The Whale was being played in 2nds at the G
he had a running bounce on the wing and let fly with a drop kick !!! I was in Bay 13, perfect view , he kicked from dead level with the centre circle
it went thru for a point but went 10 + rows back , the longest kick I've ever seen , but being in a seconds game no footage
His skills and game knowledge had come a long way but he was on the outer due to getting on the piss too much
I'm guessing in the run up to the trade he cleaned his act up and wanted to show what he could do
I'm pretty sure he polled all his votes when at South because he was being sat on the reserves bench for us , so in half a season for the Swans came with in 3 points of the Brownlow winner

1632964895559.png

I'd rate The Whale at his peak > Michael Green because of his unstoppable size and power
but Green had a long and distinguised career

lumpinee

MK ULTRA
Jul 18, 2019
across the park from commission flats
AFL Club
Richmond
good side,id have Stewart in for Barrot,Sheedy moves to the BP,Dean out,Brian Wood gets a game on the wing,Clay moves to the backline and McGhie out
Houli moves aside for Keane,Bartlett is one of the best rovers of all time,Cotch to the bench,Martin to HF,Weightman into the FP 2nd rover,Sproule out
Nank starts,Green bench,so bench looks like : Green,Cotchin,Richardson,Raines.
centreline is Bourke,Stewart,Wood

lumpinee

MK ULTRA
Jul 18, 2019
across the park from commission flats
AFL Club
Richmond

no.1 ruck Michael Green , i'd put forward The Whale Roberts as the best ruck that had played in a Richmond premiership , he just didn't show his best form in Tigers colours

in the first game V Swans at the Lakeside Oval after the Pitura trade The Whale absolutely took Green to the cleaners

I remember The Whale's first game , he played in dunlop volley's and just stood at the top of the goal square
in following games he must have been under instructions to handball only and KB and others would do circles around him to get a handball

roll forward

In the weeks before that dreadded trade The Whale was being played in 2nds at the G
he had a running bounce on the wing and let fly with a drop kick !!! I was in Bay 13, perfect view , he kicked from dead level with the centre circle
it went thru for a point but went 10 + rows back , the longest kick I've ever seen , but being in a seconds game no footage
His skills and game knowledge had come a long way but he was on the outer due to getting on the piss too much
I'm guessing in the run up to the trade he cleaned his act up and wanted to show what he could do
I'm pretty sure he polled all his votes when at South because he was being sat on the reserves bench for us , so in half a season for the Swans came with in 3 points of the Brownlow winner

View attachment 1249561

I'd rate The Whale at his peak > Michael Green because of his unstoppable size and power
wouldnt of got a vote in 5 games @ Richmond ,17 possessions over those 5 games,so 17votes from 13 games @ South,good pik up :thumbsu:
also the year fabulous Phil missed 6 games with a broken foot and lost by 3

Ceehook

Club Legend
Oct 3, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
good side,id have Stewart in for Barrot,Sheedy moves to the BP,Dean out,Brian Wood gets a game on the wing,Clay moves to the backline and McGhie out
Houli moves aside for Keane,Bartlett is one of the best rovers of all time,Cotch to the bench,Martin to HF,Weightman into the FP 2nd rover,Sproule out
Nank starts,Green bench,so bench looks like : Green,Cotchin,Richardson,Raines.
centreline is Bourke,Stewart,Wood
good pick up Ian Stewart , was amazing , got a brownlow playing in a team of champions !!!

JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TASMANIAN DEBILS!!!

roll forward

View attachment 1249561

My recollection of MGreen as a ruckman was that he was a marking machine...ala Dempsey...just one-plucked the footy out of mid air...OK ruckman...

Feb 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond

roll forward

View attachment 1249561

Green had a great finals record and it is for this reason he is rightly picked in this team ahead of Roberts, based on the criteria.

It is a crying shame Merv Keane has not been named in this team, I agree with the posters arguing along those lines. He had two quiet Grand Finals for whatever reason, and one very dominant one in 1980. His record in other finals looks really solid. He was a very polished footballer and for mine slots at least onto the bench ahead of Raines or Nankervis based on the stated selection criteria, and the balance of the team.

Back