Opinion Best contested mark from your club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Tom Hawkins.

Looking at the stats for 2021 for total contested marks it went:

Wright did surprisingly well in 2021. Ridley and Laverde make sense as some of our better contested marks. Jones and Draper I expect to improve significantly next year and both missed quite a few games so would already be near the top off a full season.

My prediction for 2022 would be:
1: Ridley
2: Wright
3: Jones

RankNameGamesTotal
1​
21​
32​
2​
22​
26​
3​
23​
23​
4​
17​
21​
5​
16​
17​
6​
13​
15​
7​
18​
14​
8​
14​
10​
8​
22​
10​
10​
15​
9​

Wright did surprisingly well in 2021. Ridley and Laverde make sense as some of our better contested marks. Jones and Draper I expect to improve significantly next year and both missed quite a few games so would already be near the top off a full season.

RankNameGamesTotal
1​
21​
32​
2​
22​
26​
3​
23​
23​
4​
17​
21​
5​
16​
17​
6​
13​
15​
7​
18​
14​
8​
14​
10​
8​
22​
10​
10​
15​
9​
I've always rated Aaron Francis as a great mark, it would be good to see him get it together this year.

Hard to go past Lobb. Taberner dropped of a bit, was very good in previous seasons (but got hardly noticed because he mostly played less then 10 games). Darcy starting to go alright as well. Fyfe dropped of, too, but still goes alright for a mid.

Actually pretty solid on paper for disappointing onfield results. Think that is overall a very good top 4 but we never seem to dominate play (not to mention scoring) through contested marks...

McEvoy has been always up there but i honestly say Lewis his hands are elite.

Hard to go past Lobb. Taberner dropped of a bit, was very good in previous seasons (but got hardly noticed because he mostly played less then 10 games). Darcy starting to go alright as well. Fyfe dropped of, too, but still goes alright for a mid.

Actually pretty solid on paper for disappointing onfield results. Think that is overall a very good top 4 but we never seem to dominate play (not to mention scoring) through contested marks...
Can’t go past Taberner. Just doesn’t play enough games to get consistent. Lobb drops the easy one on ones at times. Taller and versatile then Taberner yet gets pushed out of some contests whereas Taberners pretty strong and hard to even fall over going for pack marks

RankNameGamesTotal
1​
21​
32​
2​
22​
26​
3​
23​
23​
4​
17​
21​
5​
16​
17​
6​
13​
15​
7​
18​
14​
8​
14​
10​
8​
22​
10​
10​
15​
9​

Jones likely number 1 by the end of next season. Uncanny ability to pull down the pack mark.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can’t go past Taberner. Just doesn’t play enough games to get consistent. Lobb drops the easy one on ones at times. Taller and versatile then Taberner yet gets pushed out of some contests whereas Taberners pretty strong and hard to even fall over going for pack marks
Matt taberner has been a solid contested mark for Freo in the last 4 or 5 years

Aaron Naughton and Tim English!

Naughton in my eyes is the best contested mark in the competition !

Jack Henry has a terrific pair of hands. Probably our best contested mark these days.
Should only get better in the air as he strengthens up a bit more and enters his prime.

Harry McKay at Carlton these days, but providing he stays healthy, Charlie Curnow is probably as good/better (due to superior aerobic/jumping capacity)

Big Harry does probably have an unfair advantage as he has dukes (arms) that stretch so far it makes it nigh on impossible for his opponents to spoil.

Harris Andrews I would assume for us

Max King. 4th in the league for contested marks per game last season, including hauls of 8, 5, 4 and 4 in his last 6 games (despite going off injured in two of those last 6).

Rowan Marshall next. Despite playing the whole season with a plantar fascia injury in his foot, he was also top 10 in the league for contested marks per game.

Last edited:
All things considered probably Hawkins and he has had that mantle for a decade and at various times has arguably been the best in the entire comp. However Henry is very good and pound for pound, though he’s never likely to take one in a game that actually means anything, Gary Rohan is actually very good

Remove this Banner Ad

Back