Best defenders from 2000-2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Lion71

All Australian
Oct 26, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Im sure this has been done in some form previously but will be interesting to see other opinions. Maybe name just 1...or do a top 3, 5 or 10 !!!. Matty O'Keefe for mine, ruthless player who hates being beaten which was why it happened very rarely.

Morgan and Campbell were guns. Lachie Smith in his time at Benalla and Kyabram was as good as anyone.
I'm giving a shout out to Sammy O'Brien ... a bloke who I saw beat Saad Saad on several occasions in big finals while Saad was in his pomp.
Spot on silver about Sammy O'Brien !!, i ran a bit of water for seniors in 08' , watched Sammy wear Saad like a glove particularly in the GF....even i shook his hand that day, seemed like a rippa humble bloke

Spot on silver about Sammy O'Brien !!, i ran a bit of water for seniors in 08' , watched Sammy wear Saad like a glove particularly in the GF....even i shook his hand that day, seemed like a rippa humble bloke
He is a ripper bloke and vastly underrated I reckon. Had it over Saad in that '10 semi at Seymour when Wheeler destroyed Rochy. I think the great man might have managed one sneaky one if that.

He is a ripper bloke and vastly underrated I reckon. Had it over Saad in that '10 semi at Seymour when Wheeler destroyed Rochy. I think the great man might have managed one sneaky one if that.
The great man always managed 1 no matter how well he was held. Actually, here's another nomination, Ben Fahey from Benalla, always played well on Saad. Round 1 2006 had him goaless to 3qtr time. .......then Steve Daniel put it on him.......came out and kicked 4 in the last !!!. But Ben was a strong bodied agile defender

I will give a shout out to Josh Vick, who represented Country Victoria in his prime and in his final two games of his career kept the GVFL player of the finals goalless.
U guys will probably get sick of me doing this but i relate a lot of these back to Saad.......and Josh Vick is another who more than held his own against the great man

U guys will probably get sick of me doing this but i relate a lot of these back to Saad.......and Josh Vick is another who more than held his own against the great man
No it is relevant. Saad is certainly in the conversation for best forward from 2000-2017 so the best defender has to have held the likes of Saad.

No it is relevant. Saad is certainly in the conversation for best forward from 2000-2017 so the best defender has to have held the likes of Saad.
Watched him kick 7 on Tim Looby down here one year and loobs got named Swans best which funny as it seems i felt was fair because Saady got a couple of dodgy frees and a couple of late cheapies

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jeff Anderson (Seymour).

Represented County VIC at full-back on two or three occasions also.

Robbie Douglas was also a gun CHB for a few years there before moving on.

Jeff Anderson (Seymour).

Represented County VIC at full-back on two or three occasions also.

Robbie Douglas was also a gun CHB for a few years there before moving on.
Damm !!!!.....how did i not get those in.....top picks both. ...Joffa 1 on 1 was as reliable as anyone and "Chippa" Douglas seemed to have all the time in the world and rarely wasted a possession. Actually, if i may blow my own trumpet. ......Chippa and i gathered a lazy 45 touches between us at Benalla one day, obviously mine were in the ressies ..........and Chippa racked up 44 of the 45 !!!! Haha

Great topic here Lion!

The game has changed and evolved a lot since the 2000s. A lot of great names thrown up here, who all should be honorable mentions.
I see the games best defenders now transferring from the "stopper" to "attacker" so to speak.

Example of that would be Matt O'Keefe, rarely beaten 1 on 1 and wears all opponents like a glove for the whole game, a great stopper. Then in contrast, a Lachie Smith, a great attracking defender, more of a free flowing defender who is looking to take marks rather then spoil.

With out a doubt, Lachie Smith the best player (therefore could say defender) in the GV for the last 2/3 years, no matter what any Morrison medal vote count says, he is the man.

Great topic here Lion!

The game has changed and evolved a lot since the 2000s. A lot of great names thrown up here, who all should be honorable mentions.
I see the games best defenders now transferring from the "stopper" to "attacker" so to speak.

Example of that would be Matt O'Keefe, rarely beaten 1 on 1 and wears all opponents like a glove for the whole game, a great stopper. Then in contrast, a Lachie Smith, a great attracking defender, more of a free flowing defender who is looking to take marks rather then spoil.

With out a doubt, Lachie Smith the best player (therefore could say defender) in the GV for the last 2/3 years, no matter what any Morrison medal vote count says, he is the man.
Very good points dees, defenders can't just rely on stopping a fwd these days especially with the full ground press that alot of teams employ now, which makes guys like Lachie Smith a very dangerous weapon hovering around their own CHF area.Matt O'Keefes old man has been heard reminding ppl of how Seymours 3-peat was built on the back of strong defensive efforts.....M.O'Keefe, J.Anderson, R.Douglas,T.Hooper,R.Inness,T.O'Keefe, B.Colbert P.King, M.Pilling......

Damm !!!!.....how did i not get those in.....top picks both. ...Joffa 1 on 1 was as reliable as anyone and "Chippa" Douglas seemed to have all the time in the world and rarely wasted a possession. Actually, if i may blow my own trumpet. ......Chippa and i gathered a lazy 45 touches between us at Benalla one day, obviously mine were in the ressies ..........and Chippa racked up 44 of the 45 !!!! Haha

Hear hear on Joffa.
Best 1:1 man on man defender I have seen.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back