Best deliveries of all time

Remove this Banner Ad

A lot of Indians are crazy about Shane Bond. People just loved his smooth and beautiful action and the ease at which he generated pace. Was a great bowler to watch when in full rhythm. It's weird but they also loved him for his surname lol.

It's sad that his career turned out the way it did, getting cut short by chronic injuries.

I have no idea if there’s any basis to this or not, but at the time Bond was at his brief peak, there were three express bowlers in the world - two of them played for Pakistan and Australia, the third was Bond. Who incidentally loved terrorising Australia at least in limited overs cricket so that might at least partly add to why Indians loved him so
much

Harris bowled Joe Root with an absolute jaffa in the 2013 Ashes in England. Think the Cook dismissal, but a right hander instead. One of those where it moved just enough and lifted the off bail without even touching the off stump; you could have carved a statue from it.

Loved Shane Bond.

I've been watching a few videos this morning and Rahul Dravid appears on a few of them as the recipient of these deliveries

I have no idea if there’s any basis to this or not, but at the time Bond was at his brief peak, there were three express bowlers in the world - two of them played for Pakistan and Australia, the third was Bond. Who incidentally loved terrorising Australia at least in limited overs cricket so that might at least partly add to why Indians loved him so
much

You could say there was an element to it because it meant that he was a bowler who could do it against the best and not just minnow bashing against weak teams.

But a lot of Indians were mad about Lee for more or less the same reasons mentioned in my post as well tbf. You could also add Lee's hairstyle and his animated wicket celebration to the reasons lol. It was very common in the past to see children playing street cricket replicating Brett Lee's action and doing the chainsaw celebration, with or without picking wickets just for the lulz.

Uselss fun fact for the day: Brett Lee's chainsaw celebration was called the "parotta (which is a south indian form of the paratha bread) celebration" among by friends growing up because the hotel master (read lead chef) in many roadside hotels used to knead the parotta dough in pretty much similar fashion while preparing a paratha bread. We used to say, Brett Lee has great credentials to become a very good paratha master. Just put the paratha dough over the ground where he celebrates after a wicket and the rest will be done by him lol.:D

Harris bowled Joe Root with an absolute jaffa in the 2013 Ashes in England. Think the Cook dismissal, but a right hander instead. One of those where it moved just enough and lifted the off bail without even touching the off stump; you could have carved a statue from it.
At about 5:45 in this video. Absolute beauty.

At about 5:45 in this video. Absolute beauty.
A mark of a milimetre-perfect leg cutter is if it kisses the bails or the off stump in such a way that the ball then deflects like a thin outside edge, I reckon. That wicket did exactly that; completely unplayable.

Piggy backing off another thread, thought this deserved it's own. I'll nominate this Waqar Younis jaffa to Brian Lara.

Also that Warne to Gibbs delivery in the 99 WC semi is hugely underrated when compared to the ball of the century.

That’s insane. That younis delivery is ridiculous. I think we forget how good this guy was.

Another one worth savouring, and it gets forgotten because of Lara's ridiculous innings to ultimately win WI the Barbados Test...

But McGrath's off cutter to bowl Jimmy Adams, breaking his partnership with Lara, was also completely unplayable. 6:20 in on this clip:

Seriously, Adams didn't really do much wrong; that was a rocket.

Is that Greg Ritchie batting? He's living up to his nickname of Fat Cat there.

A lot of Indians are crazy about Shane Bond. People just loved his smooth and beautiful action and the ease at which he generated pace. Was a great bowler to watch when in full rhythm. It's weird but they also loved him for his surname lol.

It's sad that his career turned out the way it did, getting cut short by chronic injuries.

Yeah it was a shame his career was cut short by injuries, was great to finally have an NZ bowler that could bowl express pace at 150 kph.

This was another great spell of his at the 2003 World Cup.

The ball that bowled Ian Harvey was the pick of those wickets, would have got out better batsmen than him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That’s insane. That younis delivery is ridiculous. I think we forget how good this guy was.

Indeed. His overall record:
87 Tests, 373 wickets @ 23.56, SR 43.50.

However, his career is really one of two phases, basically pre- and post-back injury. His post-back injury record:
55 Tests, 183 wickets @ 28.13, SR 51.18.
These are excellent figures, of which anyone would be justifiably proud.

But just look at his pre-back injury record, and boggle your mind at the strike rate!
32 Tests, 190 wickets @ 19.16, SR 36.09.

However, his career is really one of two phases, basically pre- and post-back injury. His post-back injury record:

But just look at his pre-back injury record, and boggle your mind at the strike rate!
Both those records are insanely good when you factor in he had to bowl on slow low abrasive decks. If he was English he'd have taken 500 test wickets.

Is that Greg Ritchie batting? He's living up to his nickname of Fat Cat there.

Yeah it was a shame his career was cut short by injuries, was great to finally have an NZ bowler that could bowl express pace at 150 kph.

This was another great spell of his at the 2003 World Cup.

The ball that bowled Ian Harvey was the pick of those wickets, would have got out better batsmen than him.

I couldn't believe what I was watching from him during that world cup. He was easily the best looking bowler action wise I've ever seen. So clean and elegant, I can't believe his action caused him back issues. It looked so smooth

I couldn't believe what I was watching from him during that world cup. He was easily the best looking bowler action wise I've ever seen. So clean and elegant, I can't believe his action caused him back issues. It looked so smooth
I think his bowling action was very mixed. Looking at it it does look a mixture of side on / front on. That’s somewhat ok if your back foot lands at a 45 degree angle, but if your back foot is straight or at 90 degrees then you’re going to get hurt.

And frighteningly quick initially

Remove this Banner Ad

Back