Pweter

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 12, 2010
Right here, right now
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Central Districts, Detroit Pistons
Just watching the 93 PF on Fox and saw something that got me thinking.

Any player, any situation, ground ball, set shot from the fence, in front, clutch shot, who's the best shot for goal you've seen in your time following the Dons.

The 93 PF has me thinking Bewick could be that man in my time following Essendon since 1983. Set shot, snap on either foot on all sorts of angles, on the run, he was just super reliable.

Who's your pick?

Any player, any situation, ground ball, set shot from the fence, in front, clutch shot, who's the best shot for goal you've seen in your time following the Dons.

The 93 PF has me thinking Bewick could be that man in my time following Essendon since 1983. Set shot, snap on either foot on all sorts of angles, on the run, he was just super reliable.

Who's your pick?
That PF I was 15 and at my first ever game in Melb. What an introduction.

Was sitting in to top tier of the Great Southern Stand directly behind Bewick when he kicked that drop punt set shot in the last.

Hard to go past him. But how much does Lloyd’s set shot brilliance count for?

That PF I was 15 and at my first ever game in Melb. What an introduction.

Was sitting in to top tier of the Great Southern Stand directly behind Bewick when he kicked that drop punt set shot in the last.

Hard to go past him. But how much does Lloyd’s set shot brilliance count for?
That's what makes it a personal thing. I think Boris was every bit as good at a set shot as Lloyd but didn't have the volume of shots. Boris had him covered at ground level, though Lloyd was very good for his size.

Surely some simple maths would narrow it down.
Lloyd 68%
Walla 67%
Ryder 63%
Rioli 61%
Caracella 61%
Mercuri 61%
Hird 59%
Bewick 56% I think passing of time doing him plenty of favours here.

If it's set shot, Lloyd easy. Few better in the history of the game.
If it's specifically a snap out of a pack. Hird, freak in this situation.
General play, around the body, either side, any position (inside 50), it has to be Walla.

No one is even in the ballpark of Walla and Lloyd here. The sheer weight of set shots would skew Lloyd's numbers up though, certain he wouldn't have the same percentage if he was taking walla's attempts, so simply has to be Walla.

Side note Harry Jones first season 77%!

Last edited:
Caracella 61%

Blake was one of the first that came to mind for me. Very reliable.

As a third, lead up option, he killed at the role with a knack to get out on his own inside 50 to be a target. Once he got the ball, he was a fantastic set shot.

Lloyd 68%
Walla 67%
Ryder 63%
Rioli 61%
Caracella 61%
Mercuri 61%
Hird 59%

General play, around the body, either side, any position (inside 50), it has to be Walla.

No one is even in the ballpark of Walla and Lloyd here. The sheer weight of set shots would skew Lloyd's numbers up though, certain he wouldn't have the same percentage if he was taking walla's attempts, so simply has to be Walla.

Unfortunately Mecuri's behind in the '99 Prelim will always be etched in my memory

edit*: ironically, Caracella kicked 0.4 in that game

In any situation? So I will go for instincts.

Jones quick kick on the goal line this year was pretty good. Knew where he was and how quick he had to react.

But for pure smarts in a situation, I've got to go with Lloyds back heeler and GOTY in 2007 against Carlolton. You can't teach that s**t, pure instinct.

Lloyd 68%
Walla 67%
Ryder 63%
Rioli 61%
Caracella 61%
Mercuri 61%
Hird 59%

Scary thing for Jones is it includes first game yips. If he kicks 2 goals 1 instead of 0-3 in round 1 and his conversion rate goes up to 85%

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Caracella 61%

Blake was one of the first that came to mind for me. Very reliable.

As a third, lead up option, he killed at the role with a knack to get out on his own inside 50 to be a target. Once he got the ball, he was a fantastic set shot.

Loved watching him play. One of my favourite players for sure.

"Mr Sunbury" was a damn good kick and i thought could of been a Brad Johnson type forward had he not been such a good tough nut lock down defender

Barnesy had a nice relaxed action and was very accurate (was always unselfish though)

Who's your pick?
First person I thought of when seeing the thread title was Bewick. I have no hesitation putting him forward pocket in best Essendon side in my time watching.

Lloyd, Mercuri, TD, Tippa, and Hird all deserve honourable mentions.

Boris had one of those years in 1993. He started in the Foster's Cup and he took it right through the season.
His snaps were amazing!
Snap kicks Vs WC and Richmond in the night comp in particular.
Vs Fitzroy. Kicked a torp on the run!
Collingwood in a Friday night match. Kicked 4 that night.
Two rippers in the Semi Final win vs WCE on a cold Sunday arvo.
The PF was huge and then the left foot snap vs Carlton on what was a pretty quiet GF day for him.

Legend!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back