Opinion Best ever Brisbane Lions side, you agree?

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
1608088517587.png

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
I did it and I think I was two off; Ash McGrath in for Charlie Cameron and Joel Patfull, possibly for Marcus Ashcroft I think.

As good as Charlie is, he has only played 54 games for the club and not achieved anything, other than an AA jacket.

Hardly puts him in the frame for making the best 22 in the club's 25 year history IMO, which I think should be a 100 minimum games requirement, which there are 45.

Not sure if you saw the players that you could choose from, but they had Brendan Fevola listed; is the club for real? That should kind of tell you what a joke it was, not that I believe it was anything official other than an off-season comp or something.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I did it and I think I was two off; Ash McGrath in for Charlie Cameron and Joel Patfull, possibly for Marcus Ashcroft I think.

As good as Charlie is, he has only played 54 games for the club and not achieved anything, other than an AA jacket.

Hardly puts him in the frame for making the best 22 in the club's 25 year history IMO, which I think should be a 100 minimum games requirement, which there are 45.

Not sure if you saw the players that you could choose from, but they had Brendan Fevola listed; is the club for real? That should kind of tell you what a joke it was, not that I believe it was anything official other than an off-season comp or something.

Buzz Killington. Of course it wasn't a serious thing. Next you'll be getting upset over their selections for photo of the year or throwback photos

Groo2

All Australian
Nov 11, 2006
Australia City
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I had C Scott in backline for Mal. Rockliff and on Interchange. McCluggage instead of Hart (admittedly recency bias). Also Stef in Ruck. Ruck probably toughest position, no real standouts.

wasn’t sure if you picking players over their career or at their best (in a lions jumper). I assumed the latter with the likes of Fev nominated.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Here's mine >

Chris Johnson, Harris Andrews, Chris Scott.
Daniel Rich, Justin Leppitsch, Darryl White.

Clark Keating, Michael Voss(C), Nigel Lappin.
Simon Black, Lachie Neale, Jason Akermanis.

Craig McRae, Jonathan Brown, Daniel Bradshaw.
Charlie Cameron, Alistair Lynch, Luke Power.

Dayne Zorko, Dayne Beams, Shaun Hart, Marcus Ashcroft.

Quigley

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2006
Bangalla
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Indig team of the century player Michael McLean gets a run for me.

Beams was terrible for us. Happy to give his spot to someone else. Rockliff very underrated I think in difficult years and he is one I would be tempted to include.

Rich is an interesting one. He will probably deserve it by the time he is finished. Not sold at the moment though.

Quigley

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2006
Bangalla
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Mine:

Johnson Andrews Scott
Hanley Leppa White
Lappin Voss Acker
Power Brown McRae
Bradshaw Lynch Zorko
Leuenberger Black Neale
McLean, Lambert, Michael, Hart

I do not love putting Neale in so soon (hence why I left out Cameron) but if you win a Brownlow for the club I think you have to go in there.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.

Beams was terrible for us. Happy to give his spot to someone else. Rockliff very underrated I think in difficult years and he is one I would be tempted to include.

Rich is an interesting one. He will probably deserve it by the time he is finished. Not sold at the moment though.
Talking on field performances only I thought Dayne Beams was very good for us, won a B&F in 2015, out injured nearly all of 2016 and IMO was excellent in 2017-18.

They said on Facebook the captaincy was based off total numbers of votes. Poor decision there.

Aside from that I actually don't mind it. I thought I'd nitpick more than I would but other than Dylan's suggestion of Patfull in for Ashcroft I don't mind it and even that I'll accept.

Voss not captain is a total ******* pisstake.
Bit of recency bias there, and a reflection of the younger demographic that an internet based poll is going to reach.

Feb 17, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
B: Johnson, Michael, Andrews
HB: C. Scott, Leppitsch, White
C: Lappin, Voss (c), Akermanis
HF: Power, Brown, Zorko
F: Bradshaw, Lynch, McRae
Foll: Martin, Black, Neale
Int: Pike, Hart, Patfull, Beams

Unlucky: Keating, Ashcroft, Hanley, Rockliff, B. Scott, Notting, McGrath, Rich, Adcock, Redden.

Might be a bit too heavy in defence, but with that midfield I wouldn’t worry about it going down there too often.

Oct 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars

Have to vehemently disagree on the McLean selection. Brisbane Bears sure, but not a chance he deserves a spot in the best Lions team.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Back