Best Ever Fantasy Series.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss

Finally finished the second book. What a feast for metaphors it is.

Rothfuss is insanely imaginative, clever, thoughtful and just... giving to the reader.

It's not a perfect book but it's very, very good.

Last edited:
Anyone read the Dark Tower? Just finished first 1 and enjoyed it- despite being very confused for a lot of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In terms of?

The books are good up to and including book 4, then if you’re willing to read a low level spoiler -
King writes himself in as a character in the story. It jumps the shark there
Despite the issues book 5 onwards it’s still good, but if ego had been put aside it could have been great.

In terms of?

Just found them to be rubbish, they go in some weird directions. As a general rule I enjoy king, but this is different from his usual stuff. Just gets weird, think he admits to battling some pretty severe drink/drug issues while writing them.

I enjoyed the western elements but other storylines were meh. Couldn't get through much of it. Think put it down half way through the third book.

I definitely need some advice from folks in this thread.

I'm currently almost finished the first book in Stephen Donaldson's The Chronicle of Thomas Covenant, yet I'm always thinking ahead, planning what I'm going to read next after I finish my current series and looking out for good deals now for novels I want to read.

So, my dilemma is that I don't know whether my next commitment should be to Brandon Sanderson's Cosmere novels next or Steven Erikson's Malazan: Book of the Fallen. Both have been on my reading list since I was halfway through The Wheel of Time early last year, but after I finished the Wheel of Time I put them off because I wasn't ready to commit to a massive detailed, massive series that was going require a lot of time and effort to read. Since then I've read shorter series like The Kingkiller Chronicle (which is excellent), Brent Weeks' Lightbringer, a few of The Witcher books and a few novels outside of fantasy just to take a break.

Now I think I'm ready to jump back into something that will require time and commitment after I finish the Donaldson novels, so I need some advice from people here who have read both or either series. What would you recommend, Cosmere or Malazan?

Liked the storm light archives from Sanderson. Mistborn was ok as well.

Malazan is awesome though. Have to get through the first book which can be hard going at times but then improves dramatically.

I'd give up on Donaldson. Was groundbreaking at the time having a protagonist that was self loathing and flawed, but people have built on that and improved it. Plenty better books to read

Liked the storm light archives from Sanderson. Mistborn was ok as well.

Malazan is awesome though. Have to get through the first book which can be hard going at times but then improves dramatically.

I'd give up on Donaldson. Was groundbreaking at the time having a protagonist that was self loathing and flawed, but people have built on that and improved it. Plenty better books to read

Donaldson :sick::sick:
Haha yeah I've read mixed reviews of Donaldson's work. Some people absolutely swear by it as a seminal fantasy essential, others have reactions similar to yours. But I got the first trilogy and the first 2 novels of the second for like 20 bucks so I thought it was worth a chance. I'm personally undecided on how I feel after most of the first novel, but I like to read novels that were 'fresh' at the time of initial publication. For example, I'm not a huge Bukowski fan but I got through a couple of his novels and I plan on at least reading On The Road by Kerouac even though I've seen a lot of people who have read it recently say they despise it.

I'm a huge fan of the flawed, anti-hero protagonist in what I read and work that touches on themes that could be considered 'dark' or 'gritty.' I also like to see things through when I start them (Haha if that wasn't the case I would have given up on the WOT at Crossroads of Twilight) so I'll probably stick with it for at least the first Chronicle trilogy. They're only 300-odd pages each anyway so it's not a big deal.

Happy Mastenator I probably am leaning toward Malazan, but I've seen even the biggest fans of the series say that it takes genuine effort and you really have to buy in and completely immerse yourself to get the most out of it and that the start is slow going.

Haha yeah I've read mixed reviews of Donaldson's work. Some people absolutely swear by it as a seminal fantasy essential, others have reactions similar to yours. But I got the first trilogy and the first 2 novels of the second for like 20 bucks so I thought it was worth a chance. I'm personally undecided on how I feel after most of the first novel, but I like to read novels that were 'fresh' at the time of initial publication. For example, I'm not a huge Bukowski fan but I got through a couple of his novels and I plan on at least reading On The Road by Kerouac even though I've seen a lot of people who have read it recently say they despise it.

I'm a huge fan of the flawed, anti-hero protagonist in what I read and work that touches on themes that could be considered 'dark' or 'gritty.' I also like to see things through when I start them (Haha if that wasn't the case I would have given up on the WOT at Crossroads of Twilight) so I'll probably stick with it for at least the first Chronicle trilogy. They're only 300-odd pages each anyway so it's not a big deal.

Happy Mastenator I probably am leaning toward Malazan, but I've seen even the biggest fans of the series say that it takes genuine effort and you really have to buy in and completely immerse yourself to get the most out of it and that the start is slow going.
If you like anti heros have you tried mark Lawrence's broken empire? That might be right up your alley. I enjoyed it.

Malazan is interesting. I actually tried it and gave up, can't remember why, and years later gave it another go, was worth it, but is a grind to start.

If you like anti heros have you tried mark Lawrence's broken empire? That might be right up your alley. I enjoyed it.

Malazan is interesting. I actually tried it and gave up, can't remember why, and years later gave it another go, was worth it, but is a grind to start.
I actually have Prince of Thorns, the first novel, but I haven' read it. I'll add it to the list though if that's the case.

Yeah I've read that a lot from people who have started, or even later finished the series. When I get there I'll let you know how I go.

I'm a fan of Donaldson, love the Covenant novels, it's one hell of a world.

The Gap Cycle which is his Sci Fi opera inspired by Wagner is good reading but not really for this thread.

I haven't seen anyone mention A Land Fit for Hero's by Richard Morgan, reckon those three books are well worth your time

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Am I the only one that thinks GRRMs ASoIaF is massively overrated, I mean it’s all right but the quality has been going down with every release. Feast for crows was very mediocre and dance with dragons wasn’t much better.

Any kind of list where it’s voted on by general populace is a waste of time, too many people who jumped on the GOT bandwagon would vote for it because they probably haven’t read another fantasy series outside of maybe Harry Potter in their entire life.

Am I the only one that thinks GRRMs ASoIaF is massively overrated, I mean it’s all right but the quality has been going down with every release. Feast for crows was very mediocre and dance with dragons wasn’t much better.

Any kind of list where it’s voted on by general populace is a waste of time, too many people who jumped on the GOT bandwagon would vote for it because they probably haven’t read another fantasy series outside of maybe Harry Potter in their entire life.
I've read many series over the last 30 odd years and I'm a big fan. That said it doesn't have to be for everyone

The first couple of books were awesome, and the concept of using different characters viewpoints over different books to see other sides of characters and their motivations was really well done. The way perceptions change in the reader on Jamie for example are just top notch.

Having said that. He's lost control a little bit of the series. That's to be expected when so many storylines. We are going to know the end of the story from the tv series before the books are released which is disappointing and changes the experience. But such is life. Given me many hours of reading and viewing pleasure

His inability to have the five year gap after A Storm of Swords really wrecked the momentum.

He also needs an editor that can stand up to him. Dance is better then Feast as a story, but as a fan I do get annoyed on knowing he had chapters for both the Battle of Mareen and Winterfell, but they got bumped to Winds, due to book size, whilst we had way too many Dany chapters that could have been compressed down.

Great books

Popcorn fantasy at its finest

Got FOTF ready to go.
The blurb doesnt really excite but just going from online comments , most regard it the best of the series.

As i've mentioned before , Once Denna turned up in WFR it helped the book go from " great " to " brilliant "

Got FOTF ready to go.
The blurb doesnt really excite but just going from online comments , most regard it the best of the series.

As i've mentioned before , Once Denna turned up in WFR it helped the book go from " great " to " brilliant "
FOTF is a pretty good read after the disappointing SOTF but I warn you you are fast approaching the worst book in the series, beware the naked empire.

On a separate note I would direct people to “A trial of blood and steel” series by Joel Shepherd, I found it a very good read.

FOTF is a pretty good read after the disappointing SOTF but I warn you you are fast approaching the worst book in the series, beware the naked empire.

On a separate note I would direct people to “A trial of blood and steel” series by Joel Shepherd, I found it a very good read.

SOTF comes AFTER FOTF yes ??
If not i'm gonna crack it at my mate who hooked me up with them.

WFR
SOT
BOTF
TOTW

I assume you meant BOTF ??

******* VICIOUS book that

SOTF comes AFTER FOTF yes ??
If not i'm gonna crack it at my mate who hooked me up with them.

WFR
SOT
BOTF
TOTW

I assume you meant BOTF ??

******* VICIOUS book that
No no no the order is.
Wizards first rule
Stone of tears
Blood of the Fold
Temple of winds
Soul of the fire
Faith of the fallen
The pillars of creation
Naked empire
Chainfire
Phantom
Confessor

Faith comes after Soul.

No no no the order is.
Wizards first rule
Stone of tears
Blood of the Fold
Temple of winds
Soul of the fire
Faith of the fallen
The pillars of creation
Naked empire
Chainfire
Phantom
Confessor

Faith comes after Soul.

IT *EN IS TOO !!!!!!!!!! :eek::eek:
My mate needs to lay off the mull.

Deadset i was about to start it in 5 mins time

PS - Did you ever see Legend of the Seeker ?
I saw season 1 , dedicated all of 1 ep to the Denna stuff WTF

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back