Best Ever Fantasy Series.

Remove this Banner Ad

IT ****EN IS TOO !!!!!!!!!! :eek::eek:
My mate needs to lay off the mull.

Deadset i was about to start it in 5 mins time

PS - Did you ever see Legend of the Seeker ?
I saw season 1 , dedicated all of 1 ep to the Denna stuff WTF
Good thing you didn’t start, you’d be reading it and going when the * did that happen, the book would make no sense at all.

As to the legend of the seeker, yeah I watched it a bit. But it doesn’t really follow the plot of the books very closely if at all and I thought it was a bit amateurish in its execution.

Good thing you didn’t start, you’d be reading it and going when the **** did that happen, the book would make no sense at all.

As to the legend of the seeker, yeah I watched it a bit. But it doesn’t really follow the plot of the books very closely if at all and I thought it was a bit amateurish in its execution.

Yep , it's not the sort of story one can do half-assed either.
I could never find s2 so not sure how much " War Wizard " we got.

Goodkind denies it even exists lol

Yep , it's not the sort of story one can do half-assed either.
I could never find s2 so not sure how much " War Wizard " we got.

Goodkind denies it even exists lol
Yeah I actually have them both on DVD, it’s funny though because both are still rapped in plastic with the 2 for $20 sticker from JB lol.

If you like anti heros have you tried mark Lawrence's broken empire? That might be right up your alley. I enjoyed it.

Malazan is interesting. I actually tried it and gave up, can't remember why, and years later gave it another go, was worth it, but is a grind to start.

Really good trilogy the first Broken Empire series. Haven't read the non Jorg ones. Are they good as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I actually have Prince of Thorns, the first novel, but I haven' read it. I'll add it to the list though if that's the case.

Yeah I've read that a lot from people who have started, or even later finished the series. When I get there I'll let you know how I go.

As per my previous post- great trilogy that actually gets wrapped up.

I'm a fan of Donaldson, love the Covenant novels, it's one hell of a world.
I really didn't like the first novel in the series, Lord Foul's Bane. It was pretentious, his prose is excessively bombastic, and I just couldn't get invested in the world or the characters. But to my surprise after that one, I enjoyed the second, and I'm somewhat glad I didnt give up on it after the first, which i was considering doing. His writing tightened up and it offered genuine payoff in terms of plot and character, although there is some of it that I absolutely loathe, particularly Elena's infatuation with Covenant. I can't describe enough how much I hate the dynamic of that relationship.

I really didn't like the first novel in the series, Lord Foul's Bane. It was pretentious, his prose is excessively bombastic, and I just couldn't get invested in the world or the characters. But to my surprise after that one, I enjoyed the second, and I'm somewhat glad I didnt give up on it after the first, which i was considering doing. His writing tightened up and it offered genuine payoff in terms of plot and character, although there is some of it that I absolutely loathe, particularly Elena's infatuation with Covenant. I can't describe enough how much I hate the dynamic of that relationship.
I think you are meant to hate it.

First time I read those books I had to sit there with a thesaurus, I agree his original style was over the top look at how many words I know.

Anyone read the Dark Tower? Just finished first 1 and enjoyed it- despite being very confused for a lot of it.

A good series I'm glad I read - very unique - but the last 2 books are the least good.

Just found them to be rubbish, they go in some weird directions. As a general rule I enjoy king, but this is different from his usual stuff. Just gets weird, think he admits to battling some pretty severe drink/drug issues while writing them.

He quickly wrote the last 3 books after nearly dying when a car crashed into him and ****ed his body up.

Last edited:
Malazan Book of the Fallen

I read the first book and got about 200 pages into the second book years ago. Intend to someday to read all 10 books. It's great but you're dumped into this massive world with clearly shitloads of history behind it and it's not the beginning for most of the characters. No Luke Skywalker or Frodo here. Do you remember the TV show Breaking Bad would have scenes where the characters knew more than the audience? It's FULL of that.

Last edited:
IT ****EN IS TOO !!!!!!!!!! :eek::eek:
My mate needs to lay off the mull.

Deadset i was about to start it in 5 mins time

PS - Did you ever see Legend of the Seeker ?
I saw season 1 , dedicated all of 1 ep to the Denna stuff WTF
Legend of the Seeker. The worst book to screen adaptation I’ve ever encountered. I stopped after episode one or I would have rage smashed my TV. Took all of a few minutes of Kahlan revealing she’s a Confessor straight up, there by destroying one of the key pillars of book 1 and it just kept on downhill from there.

Legend of the Seeker. The worst book to screen adaptation I’ve ever encountered. I stopped after episode one or I would have rage smashed my TV. Took all of a few minutes of Kahlan revealing she’s a Confessor straight up, there by destroying one of the key pillars of book 1 and it just kept on downhill from there.

100% agree.

******* love Bridget Regan though.

Am I the only one that thinks GRRMs ASoIaF is massively overrated, I mean it’s all right but the quality has been going down with every release. Feast for crows was very mediocre and dance with dragons wasn’t much better.

Any kind of list where it’s voted on by general populace is a waste of time, too many people who jumped on the GOT bandwagon would vote for it because they probably haven’t read another fantasy series outside of maybe Harry Potter in their entire life.
Don't think it's overated at all. It's a clear 2nd for me (after LOTR) and I've read most of the big name fantasy series. Although, I have not yet done Malazan could be a chance to overtake it.

I think anything Feist is massively overrated as far as fantasy series go.

What are your favourites?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't think it's overated at all. It's a clear 2nd for me (after LOTR) and I've read most of the big name fantasy series. Although, I have not yet done Malazan could be a chance to overtake it.

I think anything Feist is massively overrated as far as fantasy series go.

What are your favourites?
Don’t really have a definitive favorite series, it all depends on my mood at the time.
But I suppose some of my favorites are.

A trial of blood and steel by Joel Shepherd

Empire trilogy by Feist and Wurts

Wolfblade trilogy by Jennifer Fallon

Well of echoes quartet by Ian Irvine

Pellinor series by Allison Croggan

Mistborn though I preferred Elantris as a stand-alone by Brandon Sanderson

Lightbringer series by Brent Weeks.

Is it likely we will ever see Winds of Winter?

Malazan the best series I haven't finished (Either Reaper's Gale or Toll the Hounds was the last one I read) and one of the few Fantasy series I'd really like to go back and finish.

Having recently finished the main characters' story I really think Robin Hobb's Fitz and the Fool makes its way to the top of my favourites, I've read all but the rain wild chronicles, 16 books over 4 trilogies and a quartet and unlike a lot of series that follow a similar approach it pretty much always felt like they were stories worth telling and they sit really well now as one overall story.

Good thing you didn’t start, you’d be reading it and going when the **** did that happen, the book would make no sense at all.

Just finished SOTF

******* FANTASTIC book imo.

Malazan the best series I haven't finished (Either Reaper's Gale or Toll the Hounds was the last one I read) and one of the few Fantasy series I'd really like to go back and finish.

Having recently finished the main characters' story I really think Robin Hobb's Fitz and the Fool makes its way to the top of my favourites, I've read all but the rain wild chronicles, 16 books over 4 trilogies and a quartet and unlike a lot of series that follow a similar approach it pretty much always felt like they were stories worth telling and they sit really well now as one overall story.
Definitely my favourite, and a great finish.

Just as a matter of interest, did you find it difficult to follow parts of the last book without having read the Rain Wild 4?
Because, before the last book came out, I told a mate he could skip the RWC if he liked, but then the last book tied back a good deal into the RWC, especially in the early parts in Kelsingra.

Just finished SOTF

Then you should really enjoy faith of the fallen, it’s just my opinion but I actually thought that was the best book in the entire series.

Definitely my favourite, and a great finish.

Just as a matter of interest, did you find it difficult to follow parts of the last book without having read the Rain Wild 4?
Because, before the last book came out, I told a mate he could skip the RWC if he liked, but then the last book tied back a good deal into the RWC, especially in the early parts in Kelsingra.

Not too much hassle, I'm sure I missed little bits and pieces but having read the Liveship Traders and with the small updates that characters hear throughout the books since I had a general understanding of the Rainwilds, the Dragons returning and the problems involved. Could tell sometimes that a character was being reintroduced but I never felt lost in the plotlines and there were just as many that were familiar from the Liveship stories.

Not too much hassle, I'm sure I missed little bits and pieces but having read the Liveship Traders and with the small updates that characters hear throughout the books since I had a general understanding of the Rainwilds, the Dragons returning and the problems involved. Could tell sometimes that a character was being reintroduced but I never felt lost in the plotlines and there were just as many that were familiar from the Liveship stories.
How did you rate Liveship Traders compared to the Fitz stories? I'm on RWT 4 at the moment, before I get to Assassin's Fate. I enjoyed all the other books set in that world (as well as her Soldiers Son trilogy), but Liveship Traders was a chore. I honestly would have put it down by half way through book 1 if it wasn't set in the same world. I only churned through it, for any backstory for the Fitz books. Rain Wild Traders I've enjoyed though, even though that follows that 'half' of the world, rather than the Fitz 'half' (yes, they do cross every now and then, but not in big ways).

How did you rate Liveship Traders compared to the Fitz stories? I'm on RWT 4 at the moment, before I get to Assassin's Fate. I enjoyed all the other books set in that world (as well as her Soldiers Son trilogy), but Liveship Traders was a chore. I honestly would have put it down by half way through book 1 if it wasn't set in the same world. I only churned through it, for any backstory for the Fitz books. Rain Wild Traders I've enjoyed though, even though that follows that 'half' of the world, rather than the Fitz 'half' (yes, they do cross every now and then, but not in big ways).
I enjoyed Liveship, but not as much as the others.
It's a pretty widespread opinion among her readers.

Similar to FredLeDeux it'd be at the bottom of the list but I still enjoyed some of it. I really liked the main ideas with the live ships and everything they represent (in some ways I suppose they were the exact opposite of the stone dragons, who needed people or elderliness to bring them to life) but from memory, and its been years since I've read them, some characters were a lot stronger then others and so when the storylines split I sometimes found myself wanting to rush through and get back to the characters I was enjoying.

Overall I wasn't a huge fan of the Soldier Son trilogy, again some really interesting ideas and the main character was good but for me the wider world never felt as substantial as the six duchies. But man its a hard life being a Robin Hobb protaganist you just know that you are gonna get beating down again and again and again.

Similar to FredLeDeux it'd be at the bottom of the list but I still enjoyed some of it. I really liked the main ideas with the live ships and everything they represent (in some ways I suppose they were the exact opposite of the stone dragons, who needed people or elderliness to bring them to life) but from memory, and its been years since I've read them, some characters were a lot stronger then others and so when the storylines split I sometimes found myself wanting to rush through and get back to the characters I was enjoying.

Overall I wasn't a huge fan of the Soldier Son trilogy, again some really interesting ideas and the main character was good but for me the wider world never felt as substantial as the six duchies. But man its a hard life being a Robin Hobb protaganist you just know that you are gonna get beating down again and again and again.
One thing I was going to say is that in the last Fitz book, she left herself plenty of room, hints and possible threads to write at least another trilogy; at the end, why were the old blokes in the skill stream so insistent that Fitz had to build his dragon, ie what's the danger he's going to be needed for; right at the end, why is the stone wolf guarding the old/young queen and not sitting in the park with all the others; what's the skill stream all about and who are the old blokes (eg the old king) anyway? And how will the world be re-shaped when all the dragon ships are emancipated?

Which brings us to Kelsingra and the other world and the broadest hint of all about the hinge of the future thread. Early in the last book Rapskal is wandering through the city once again watching the dream visions of the elderlings fleeing the volcanoes and earthquakes and wonders to himself "Where did they flee to, they must have gone somewhere". That's called a Watch This Space advert.

I don't think we've seen the last of Wolf Father or his supergirl younger daughter.;)

And the best part of it is that, generally, once she starts a series, she sticks pretty close to one book each year.

Just finished SOTF

How’d you go with FoTF? That’s if you got around to reading it yet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back