Moved Thread Best ever Indigenous players ranked.(Poll added)

Who are the two best Indigenous player of all time?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
My Dad rates farmer as top 3 ever, and the other 2 arent Aborigines so assume that puts Polly on top.

For me Buddy, McLeod, Matera, Wanganeen, Cyril and early years Goodes (before the diving, sliding, elbows, etc.).

I have vague memories of Maurice so he misses out.

O'Loughlin was an average FF. Never understood how he got games for so long. I guess they had noone else.

Socrates2

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
If you could time travel this lineup to 2018 all still in their prime could they beat say West Coast's GF team this year? Or are there too many mids and small forwards?
Yes easily, play Goodes,Daryl White and Stephen Michael in defence

Feb 4, 2001
East Burwood
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Arsenal
Maurice one of two players to have won a Norm Smith in a losing Grand Final along with Gary Ablett senior..Also won 2 x Simpson medals for South Fremantle, the WA norm smith equivalent.That's 3x b.o.g in grand finals.Mcleod was a smooth machine and born to play finals I agree.
You left out that he was the absolute best tackler of all time.

andon

Team Captain
Jul 26, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Every player on the list was outstanding, to pick a couple is almost impossible, but Farmer in his time was unique, he was graceful,fast and innovative, and very much a gentle decent man.

Andrew Mc Leaod because he was just brilliant and was part of the pioneer Adeliade development group.

The rest are all exceptional, and there are even more great players not on this list.

This group would make a pretty good premiership team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yyou

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 18, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
NY Mets, NO Pelicans, Toronto Leafs
From what I have seen:

01. Franklin
02. McLeod
03. Goodes
04. Matera
05. Cyril
06. Winmar
07. Maurice
08. Silk
09. Wanganeen
10. Betts

Unlucky: Micky O, Farmer, Long, Jim Krakouer...
If you put Cyril above Maurice I reckon you didn't actually see Maurice play.
Best for mine is Stephen Michael who wasn't just the best indigenous player, but also the best overall player that I've seen

Last edited:
If you put Cyril above Maurice I reckon you didn't actually see Maurice play.
Best for mine is Stephen Michael who wasn't just the best indigenous player, but also the best overall player that I've seen

I've only watched Stephen Michael play on tv and never the luxury live. His movement reminded me of Chris Judd, perhaps it was the slim hips and big back.

The obvious difference to Judd though, was Stephen was strong in the air.

I think rioil and michael played together in WA?

yyou

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 18, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
NY Mets, NO Pelicans, Toronto Leafs
I've only watched Stephen Michael play on tv and never the luxury live. His movement reminded me of Chris Judd, perhaps it was the slim hips and big back.

The obvious difference to Judd though, was Stephen was strong in the air.

I think rioil and michael played together in WA?
Sure did, along with a few other fantastic indigenous players like Basil Campbell, Benny Vigona, Willie Roe, Michael Cockie & more for the mighty South Freo Bulldogs.

Back