Moved Thread Best ever Indigenous players ranked.(Poll added)

Who are the two best Indigenous player of all time?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Socrates2

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Best ever indiginous players ranked.My top 20.
1/Polly Farmer
2/ Maurice Rioli
3/ Lance Franklin
4/Peter Matera
5/ Adam Goodes
6/Andrew McLeod
7/Gavin Wanganeen
8/Cyril Rioli
9/Barry Cable
10/Eddie Betts
11/Doug Nicholls
12/ Syd Jackson
13/Jimmy Krakouer
14/ Michael Long
15/ Shaun Burgoyne
16/Byron Pickett
17/ David Wirrpanda
18/ Stephen Michael
19/Nicky Winmar
20/ Daryl White

• Banned
Appreciate the effort you put in. I’d swap the order a little myself, Matera lower, Buddy higher and Winmar in the top 10 for sure, but a good top 20 all the same.
Buddy may top my list at the end of his career.Polly Farmer and Maurice were ahead ok their time.Polly the long handball to advantage and Maurice a highly skilled mid who was also the leagues best tackler.I cannot go past Matera at 4 after his sublime 1992 Grand Final performance.

Pretty amazing line up. You'd probably have to have Polly at #1, then a full on fire fight to determine the next few.

I might go Buddy and Goodes higher. But Maurice was amazing - way ahead of his time.

I'd love to watch that team. Only issue is the talls. But once the ball hit the ground they'd be amazing. :D

• Banned
Chris Johnson is pretty stiff to miss
Yes he was , he won 3 flags .I left him out as others had more freakish ability or were ahead of their time.I wanted to include Winston Abraham for his marking and goal kicking but he wasn't as consistant as others.This list is just my opinion ,but plenty would have Chris Johnson higher.

No Michael O’loughlin,I’d have him above wirrpanda ,Pickett .
Fair call, I thought Wirrpanda and Pickett were exceptionally hard and tough.Pickett was the most feared player in the game at one stage. I thought Wirrpanda was a terrific foot pass but I can see why you would have O'Loughlin or Chris Johnson ahead of him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Best ever indiginous players ranked.My top 20.
1/Polly Farmer
2/ Maurice Rioli
3/ Lance Franklin
4/Peter Matera
5/ Adam Goodes
6/Andrew McLeod
7/Gavin Wanganeen
8/Cyril Rioli
9/Barry Cable
10/Eddie Betts
11/Doug Nicholls
12/ Syd Jackson
13/Jimmy Krakouer
14/ Michael Long
15/ Shaun Burgoyne
16/Byron Pickett
17/ David Wirrpanda
18/ Stephen Michael
19/Nicky Winmar
20/ Daryl White
Cable, Burgoyne and Krakouer all ahead of CyrilRioli for me.

Good list, Id have Chris Johnson before Darryl White by a whisker. His two AAs just giving him the nod.
Hard to argue with either really.

Michael McLean & Chris Lewis are the two other Team of the Century players who were guns also.

Here's a team on paper with my original list plus, Chris Johnson, Michael Mclean, Michael O'Loughlin,Jeff Farmer, Chris Lewis .The backline is a bit short but nice depth and great skill and speed.

B Wanganeen, D White, C Johnson
HB S Burgoyne, Pickett, Wirrpanda
C P Matera, M Rioli (VC), D Nicholls
HF Winmar , Goodes , C Rioli
FF Betts, Franklin, J Krakouer
R P Farmer (C),McLeod , Cable
Int S Michael, S Jackson, Long, O'Loughlin, Emg J Farmer ,C Lewis, M Mclean

Back