Moved Thread Best ever Indigenous players ranked.(Poll added)

Who are the two best Indigenous player of all time?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I cant comment pre 1990. From what I have seen though.
1. Goodes - The guy could play anywhere and do anything, absolutely amazing footballer and I think judged a little harshly at the end of his career.
2. Franklin - Second only to Goodes, not quite the flexibility of Goodes and could go past Goodes. Just a freak, love him.
3/4. McLeod - Fantastic four square player, could be used as a defensive back pocket/rebounding defender to a midfielder/forward flanker. Sublime skills.
3/4. Wanganen - Splitting hairs with McLeod and Wanganeen so much courage and skill.

Past here becomes a bit of a crapshoot for me but these guys above stick in my mind as a pretty definitive top 4. Burgers/Wirra/Long in any order next maybe, then the next rung down.
These 4 for modern players then daylight....proven over long periods and true match winners

Stephen Michael played with or against Maurice Rioli, Graham Moss, Brad Hardie, Krakouers, Narkles and every WA player that cam to Vic in the late 70s / early 80s. He was head and shoulders above all of them.

The question for Michael is whether he or Polly were No 1

From what I have seen:

01. Franklin
02. McLeod
03. Goodes
04. Matera
05. Cyril
06. Winmar
07. Maurice
08. Silk
09. Wanganeen
10. Betts

Unlucky: Micky O, Farmer, Long, Jim Krakouer...

Pretty close to mine but I saw SFA of Rioli, so exclude him from my assessment and slip in O’Laughlin. Not sure on Betts, can’t split him, Farmer and Long. I think Cyril is a tad high at 5, I’d have both Wangas and Silk ahead of him.

Stephen Michael played with or against Maurice Rioli, Graham Moss, Brad Hardie, Krakouers, Narkles and every WA player that cam to Vic in the late 70s / early 80s. He was head and shoulders above all of them.

I think Buddy has earned the right to be discussed alongside those two

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does Stephen Michael have a freeway named after him?

Seriously, we ALL know Michael was a gun, but sadly he never ventured east (despite being signed up by Geelong) so we'll never know how he might have gone in the VFL. Polly dominated in VIC and WA. He changed the game.

I didn't see him much and i rate modern players better

You rate modern players as instrinsically better at footy? You do know they'll be "old" players soon enough? Will you then not rate someone you rate now, because time has passed?

Simpson medals are odd because you could get one by playing well against WA. G Healy got one if I remember correctly.
The Vico winners of the Simpson medal are a fairly illustrious bunch. The last 3 S Madden, Dunstall and Healy are a fair trio. Dale Weightman, Peter Knights (twice) Nicholls, Whitten. It's a pity it's only handed out to WA players now.

You rate modern players as instrinsically better at footy? You do know they'll be "old" players soon enough? Will you then not rate someone you rate now, because time has passed?

I think they are. The amount of sports scientist and cutting edge training they get, a lot of todays players would run rings around players from 50's 60's etc. Most of those players didn't even do footy full time, let a lone pushing their bodies to the edges of scientist theory. Just like in 30-40 years from now, when players have stem cell upgrades with footy IQ microchips inserted in their brains, they will run rings around players today.

Fans tend to over rate past players and under rate current players. Personally, I think Buddy should be number 1.
Funnily enough my view is that past players are under rated largely because people either didn't see them or forget how good they were.

What do you know about Polly Farmer to make you say Buddy is No. 1 indigenous player ever??

Funnily enough my view is that past players are under rated largely because people either didn't see them or forget how good they were.

What do you know about Polly Farmer to make you say Buddy is No. 1 indigenous player ever??

Because he played in the 50's. No player from the 50's could compete with the best in 2018. Sports science didn't even exist back then. Hell, he probably didn't even do footy full time. Sure, his achievements are fantastic, and in his time he was brilliant, but you pick up Farmer and drop him into a game in 2018 and the speed would blow him away.

Back