Opinion Best ever moment as a Swans fan

Gimmeafree

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2021
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
No other team, no other sport
Some of the best moments in my life have been as a Swans fan. When I think about the times in my life of pure euphoria, the Swans are usually involved. There are so many moments I was lucky enough to see in person:

1. Plugger kicks a behind to make the grannie and the scg descends into chaotic scenes of joy, strangers high fiving and hugging each other. Later that night the players get introduced at Easts leagues and everyone (except the Swannies) parties until 4am.

2. Nick Davis. After being robbed in the West the week prior, the grounds keepers at the SCG were instructed to water the ground creating Geelong like mud lark conditions. This is a true story Which will never be acknowledged. We looked gone at 3/4 time but my mates and I never gave up. We used to have fun swapping the names around so we had Harry Ball, Dick Navis and the coach Raul Poos. But it was dead-eye Dick who saved the day and the SCG erupted - it was so loud it was deafening.

3. Leaping Leo Barry in the 2005 GF.

4. Mal kicks a floater to win the 2012 GF (As we sat near the Hawks cheer squad)

5. The truly eerie SCG against the crows. The 7th minute of the 3rd quarter, we all stood with Adam and applauded

6. Plugger breaks the record and fans storm the SCG

I’m sure I’ve left out a few, Mickey O raging on the west coast cheer squad comes to mind.

But overall, I know some of you will think I’m mad, but Nick Davis v Geelong takes the cake. The despair, the fleeting hope, the dare to dream, the magic Then the mayhem. They played the team song I don’t know how many times, I reckon you‘d have heard the roar at Bondi.

what’s your favourite swans moment ?

sorry if this thread’s been done to death before.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Jesse White's 19th man.

Bloods86

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 7, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Adelaide United, Everton, Socceroos
Pretty much all of mine have been said in the original post.

Couple of others:

1) My avatar - Mattner chasing down Birchall on the wing to force a stoppage late in the 2012 GF, after being burnt in the middle in favour of a speculative kick from ROK to Jetta's opponent. Typifies a Blood, didn't sulk, just got back to work, got the job done.

2) Same game, amidst Teddy and Goodes on one leg each, Malceski's highlights - Mitch Morton's cameo still warms the heart - 2 evasive snaps, and his 1 vs 2 effort leading to Jack's late goal. Beautiful.

3) The 2012 QF vs the Crows. What a joy to be at that game, where we just systematically dismantled them. Felt very good leaving that day surrounded by Crows fans.

4) End of 2002 where even over the TV the scenes of Kelly, Dunkley retiring, plus the Roosy chants and camaraderie was palpable.

5) Less of a fan of the bloke nowadays, but Rohan's mark and goal vs the Bombers. Just couldn't have happened to a nicer club. I was up from the couch, striding around the living room, fist pumping. Which for me is quite something.

6) Our win vs the Crows in 2017 by 3 points at Adelaide Oval. Buddy's goal after running down the wing with Talia in tow inclusive. Hearing some elderly lady getting upset about Heeney's physical tagging on Sloane (should never be tried again, but was funny). Leave Rory ALONE! Anyway, what a win that was against the form team, away from home, after a 0-6 start.

Kapers

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
I know this is recency bias buuuuuuut,

I wasn't able to watch the Richmond game live, and I was without the ability to check the scores until very late in the last quarter.

Well, I tell you what, nothing made me love my club more than absolutely dominating the reigning premiers when I was expecting an honourable loss.

Oh, and it came after a week of Punts telling us all that we would get a touch up since we let 30+ scoring shots from the crows.

I don't know, it was just the perfect moment when I realised that we were a good team again.

I know this is recency bias buuuuuuut,

I wasn't able to watch the Richmond game live, and I was without the ability to check the scores until very late in the last quarter.

Well, I tell you what, nothing made me love my club more than absolutely dominating the reigning premiers when I was expecting an honourable loss.

Oh, and it came after a week of Punts telling us all that we would get a touch up since we let 30+ scoring shots from the crows.

I don't know, it was just the perfect moment when I realised that we were a good team again.

My wife has only been a fan for a few years but that game is her favourite as well, she loved how the crowd was on our favour as well.

Apart from the 2012 grand final (which will always be number 1 for me), the other game that has fondness in my heart was 2004 where we stopped the Saints winning streak, it was less than a fortnight after my mother died and was the first time I had cracked a smile since.

Kiama Chris

Norm Smith Medallist
May 10, 2016
Kiama
AFL Club
Sydney
Just to be a bit different my son was playing in the inaugural Paul Kelly Cup. In the break between games we got chatting with the three indigenous players who had come down. Troy Cook, Mickey O and a shy young Adam Goodes. They were so lovely talking with my young fella it absolutely made his day. Even better than getting his photo with Kell later on.
Contact like this can shape your life.

MF

Good Poster, s**t Bloke
Sep 10, 2006
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
A couple my favourite memories that haven't been mentioned...

The final quarter vs the Saints in the 2005 prelim - They were an amazing team and we simply blew them off the park in a 10 minute burst.

Paul Roos 300th vs North at Optus Oval

Final game of 1996 vs West Coast in the wet to secure the minor premiership. I think that was the game where the "Syyyydneeeey" chant was born.

Dunkley & Kellys final game

Jack, Grundy & McVeighs final game

swanssince2002

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 21, 2018
21kms from Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors
The turnaround in 2005 is still extraordinary to me. Even though West Coast, Adelaide and St Kilda were eventually part of the top 4, we struggled against all of them earlier on in the season. Comprehensively beaten by St Kilda. To see them blow away St Kilda in the 3rd and 4th quarter in the PF still amazes me. The running goal by Schneider to cap it all off will remain in my memory.

Both flags I've witnessed were great, albeit ruined slightly by familial situations. 2005 I watched with my granddad who is a diehard Eagles fan. I was only 10 so didn't fully understand the gravity of what a big deal it was, so I felt more sad for him than happy for me (though if I'd known what would happen a year later, I would've been running around the house flipping the bird in pure elation.) And 2012 came right in the midst of my year 12 exams and the week that we found out my mum's cancer had returned. So again it was a pretty muted celebration!

So in terms of pure joy, it is hard to go past the derby in Perth last year. Aside from the obvious (flogging GWS, actually witnessing the Swans playing in a derby in my home state, something that had never happened before and will likely never happen again), I also consider it the precursor to all that we saw this year.

We'd been rebuilding for about a year and a half with some promising signs and some great youth, but our rebuild hadn't really posted a result to validate what we were doing or to show that it could all work. That night IMO was the first time all the current pieces of the Swans brand fell into place and confirmed that Horse & co had the right idea. We had elite defensive pressure as per, but it was four quarters of relentless attacking footy, everyone was on the same page, taking the game on, charging through the corridor, sending fast, direct balls inside 50, causing turnovers in the forward half, winning it out of the centre with speed.

And unlike this year, we did it all without Buddy, Heeney, JPK, Hewett and a decent ruck! We'd do it again a few weeks later against Melbourne and then flex our muscles again in honourable losses to Brisbane and Geelong, before heading into the pre-season that led to this season. So although we had the inevitable comedown the week after against Freo, that derby was our arrival, and we never looked back in terms of complete confidence in the direction we were heading.

Best footy day/night of my life!

Bloods_sucker

Debutant
Dec 10, 2019
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
I started supporting the swans from the early 80s. Overall I feel privileged with the great memories the team has created, and there are too many individual moments to list here.

I can't help but think back to 1996 and what a great year that was to experience … coming after a fairly dismal period for us in the early 90s.

From my own personal experience, there are a few memories that stand out from that year –
1. Went to the game in round 11, 1996 vs Kangaroos at Princes Park, with my brother who is a North supporter. We kicked 10 goals in the third quarter and had a day out against a great team. This win felt extra sweet, as I sat through the same match at the same venue three years earlier when we got totally smashed, Adrian McAdam kicked 10 goals, we must be been pretty close to rock bottom.
2. Was at the 1996 grand final – a few minutes before the first bounce, Mick Martin was waiting at full back in the goal square for Plugger to arrive. As Plugger slowly jogged towards the punt road end from the 50 metre arc, the crowd totally erupted in anticipation of the clash between the two, and I guess in anticipation of the game starting - to this day it's possibly the loudest roar I’ve ever heard at the footy, it was spine tingling.

Unfortunately I missed going to 2005 and 2012 grand finals as I was overseas. Would be pretty hard to top the Leo Barry mark as the greatest swans moment in my time. Then in 2012, from the second quarter to half way through the third - we played just about flawless football, then dug deep to hold off the hawks after they blew away our 5 goal ± lead in about 10 minutes of the third quarter. The elation, the relief (and disbelief) after Malceski kicked his last quarter goal, to seal the game is right up there for me.

2021 – to echo some other people's comments about our round 3 match 2021 vs Richmond at the MCG – I don’t get to the footy that much these days, so it was a great day to see our emergence in the flesh, and the way we were able to systematically dismantle the Tigers. There was a tangible buzz in the crowd that day, there was a great swans presence/voice and a real feeling of optimism.

This game was one of the best I've ever been a part of (& not mentioned yet)...

Screenshot_20190601-111917_Gallery.jpg

The love we showed that day for Goodesy... I had tears.

I can't help but think back to 1996 and what a great year that was to experience … coming after a fairly dismal period for us in the early 90s.

From my own personal experience, there are a few memories that stand out from that year –
1. Went to the game in round 11, 1996 vs Kangaroos at Princes Park, with my brother who is a North supporter. We kicked 10 goals in the third quarter and had a day out against a great team. This win felt extra sweet, as I sat through the same match at the same venue three years earlier when we got totally smashed, Adrian McAdam kicked 10 goals, we must be been pretty close to rock bottom.
A great day. Gave up waiting for a tram post game and 11 year old me, my brother and grandfather hiked all the way back into town. By the time we got to think two trams passed us the whole way there. I do wonder if I'd still be there waiting for a tram back today had we not walked. Great ground to hear the slaps of the tackles but what an absolute shithole to get to and from.

elastic

Cometh the moment
Jul 24, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney

The final quarter vs the Saints in the 2005 prelim - They were an amazing team and we simply blew them off the park in a 10 minute burst.

Final game of 1996 vs West Coast in the wet to secure the minor premiership. I think that was the game where the "Syyyydneeeey" chant was born.

The 2005 prelim when Schneider went bang was almost as good as the week before when Davis let rip. I was lucky enough to be at both games and then the flag the following week. Floating on air.

Making the Final Four in 1970.
and my Mum won finals tickets from The Sun newspaper competition.
She was so proud to see Bob Skilton run out to the MCG.
and we went to see Peter Bedford win his Brownlow medal at the Dallas Brooks Hall.
😍

and my Mum won finals tickets from The Sun newspaper competition.
She was so proud to see Bob Skilton run out to the MCG.
and we went to see Peter Bedford win his Brownlow medal at the Dallas Brooks Hall.
😍

Without checking the records and my memory may be playing tricks, I think we absolutely flogged Carlton and Hawthorn during the H&A. Probably wrong but I reckon we humiliated the Blues by 10 goals+ which was a huge margin in those days.

My best ever moments have already been mentioned, these are a few favourites from the last few years that were unexpected and I totally loved...

I was at the first two, would have loved to have been at the third!

the hypnotoad

Premiership Player
Mar 7, 2021
AFL Club
Sydney

that st kilda final quarter, the week after the nick davis final quarter ... friggin brilliant!

Back