Opinion Best ever Players in Jumper Numbers

Remove this Banner Ad

#44 Tom Stewart is pushing selection if Enright doesn’t already have it.

#9 Lachie Neale making ground on Cousins.

#23 Franklin - goodbye McLeod as hard as that is to say!

#20 - Simon Black/Dean Cox

#17 - Josh Kennedy - I know Dyer was amazing though what’s the thoughts on this?

#11- Max Gawn

#17 - Josh Kennedy - I know Dyer was amazing though what’s the thoughts on this?

#11- Max Gawn
I think #17 belongs to Michael Tuck for me. Gawn ahead of Bruce Doull for #11 is another I'm not sure about.

Platten is a better #44 than both Stewart & Enright.

#11- Max Gawn
No to every single one.

I think #17 belongs to Michael Tuck for me. Gawn ahead of Bruce Doull for #11 is another I'm not sure about.

I don’t agree but I can see your point being valid it’s very hard to split all those players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gary Buckenarra won 4 flags with #11.

Tuck won 7 with #17.

Brereton won 5 with #23.

So it comes down to what measure you use. Because Lake won 3 in a row inlcuding a Norm Smith with #17. But only played 3 seasons with that number.

Buddy clearly the better player, Brereton clearly the better career.

Noone comes close to Tuck for success.

But then, if its about success you'd just have a bunch of Hawthorn players from the late 70s to the early 90s, then more in the late 00s to mid 2010s.

Though do you pick the guy who won a couple of Brownlows and no flags over a guy who won 5 flags? E.g. Neale vs Dipper.

Maybe things change for Neale on Saturday.

Not sure if its been mentioned but I think the Pies pre WWII used to give the captain #1 and then the jumpers went alphabetically so they changed almost every year.

The Collier and Coventry brothers have claims to be our GOATs but they cover a span of numbers. Maybe 3 of the 4 wore number 7 at some stage.

Dustin Martin doesn't compare to Lockett. Lockett won a Brownlow at full forward when nobody else ever had, or has since.
Matthews has number 3 sewn up
44 is tough as Platten and Enright were both great in their respective roles. Platten is the bravest player for his size I've ever seen, Enright was super consistent, and I won't sell Justin Madden short for being a very intelligent footballer

Garry Hocking should not be forgotten as a champion in #32.

There a huge element of opinion all of this though

At number 8, I would have perhaps Darren Bewick ahead of Phil Krakouer as per OP

Remove this Banner Ad

Back