Analysis Best Ever Rookie?

Remove this Banner Ad

Cox and I don't even think it is close as he is the only one on that list that changed his entire position in terms of what future ruckmen were expected to be able to do.

I agree that he's the best on the list, just, but I'm not too sure about the rest that you've written. Stynes immediately prior is the first that comes to mind. Len Thompson about 3 generations before Cox and others in between. Peter Moore was a 76 goal a year forward and a 2 time Brownlow winner as a ruckman. Simon Madden kicked 400+ more goals than Cox. Adam Goodes had great skills and won a Brownlow as a ruckman.

1. Cox
2. Gibson (2 x b&f in premiership years are big)
3. Milne
4. Boyd
5. Bruest

He'll be 32 by the time the next season starts but Blicavs is climbing with this list with a bullet. 2 x b&f at a club that finishes top 4 nearly every year and 1 x AA. The club has finally worked out the best way to use him and put his size and running power to best use. He's just had his best season, imo, and if he had 2 more like it, I'd nearly have him at the top of this list.

1- Cox
2- Priddis
3- Sandi
4-Milne
5- McGovern

Priddis had a Brownlow medal year a runner up Brownlow year and was super consistent his whole career and racked up close to the most tackles ever.
He got overlooked won a sandover came into a side and contributed to winning a premiership in his first year (didn’t play the grand final but played 2 games in 06) behind a midfield of Judd Cousins Kerr Fletcher Braun Embley.
Not pretty to watch but what a player.

Cox is my all time greatest ruckman, was a gun 🔫.

I don’t like the eagles but wow they have done well in the rookie selections, lucky the overlooked T Kelly and H Taylor though for a few years.

Cox a clear #1. Not advocating that he'd be top 5 but how does Blicavs not even make the initial list?

1x Flag. 1x AA. 2x B&F.

Totally agree Cox best ever, best foot skills i have ever seen of a Ruckman could kick of both sides

Blicavs the most versatile player of all time

Fully admit that him being an absolute piece of s**t as a human being clouds my judgement, but Milne is way too high on these lists.

His record looks good, so people feel they “have to” include him, but do you really want him on your side in a Final ahead of guys like McGovern, Morris, Rutten, Bruest etc who either played key structural roles or actually performed in the most important games?

He was too one dimensional for me. He’s a guy who’s numbers look great, but for impact on games he falls being many other rookies.

Fully admit that him being an absolute piece of s**t as a human being clouds my judgement, but Milne is way too high on these lists.

His record looks good, so people feel they “have to” include him, but do you really want him on your side in a Final ahead of guys like McGovern, Morris, Rutten, Bruest etc who either played key structural roles or actually performed in the most important games?

He was too one dimensional for me. He’s a guy who’s numbers look great, but for impact on games he falls being many other rookies.
Watch the last quarter of the 2010 GF draw! Great player (and yeah s**t bloke).

Milne kicked goals when the Saints were absolute rubbish. He fully deserves to be well ahead of Breust.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only one premiership captain to choose from. Easy pickings
Only because of the ridiculous captaincy rotation system they had at the Swans in 2005. It still really annoys me that Kirk wasn’t up there holding the trophy aloft with Paul Roos. Instead, it was a bald meathead who punched his way to infamy (both before and after that Premiership).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back