Best Fielder

Remove this Banner Ad

Roger Harper.

He was on a different level to everyone else. he was the West Indies 'professional' 12th man. He was a pretty poor bat, and a rather ineffective off-spinner, but his fielding was out of this world. He was once MOM in an ODI in England for his fielding. He played a few tests where the Windies needed a spinner but he was actually useless, so he never got anywhere near a permanent spot. But those fast bowlers needed plenty of rest, so he probably fielded the most of any 12th man in history.

Then he got the yips with his bowling, and it carried over to his fielding - he just lost it completely.

Roger Harper.

He was on a different level to everyone else. he was the West Indies 'professional' 12th man. He was a pretty poor bat, and a rather ineffective off-spinner, but his fielding was out of this world. He was once MOM in an ODI in England for his fielding. He played a few tests where the Windies needed a spinner but he was actually useless, so he never got anywhere near a permanent spot. But those fast bowlers needed plenty of rest, so he probably fielded the most of any 12th man in history.

Then he got the yips with his bowling, and it carried over to his fielding - he just lost it completely.
Geez, that's being harsh on the bloke.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/westindies/content/player/52045.html

The best fielder that I saw was Viv Richards. He was magnificent anywhere on the field. His fielding won the WI the 1975 World Cup.

Greg Chappell, Mark Waugh, Ricky Ponting, Andrew Symonds and Allan Border were all fantastic fielders including catches. Ross Edwards was our best ground fielder.

Ricky Ponting, Michael Clarke and Steve Smith were/are brilliant in the slips and outfield.

Glenn Maxwell, David Warner and Symonds weren't great in the slips but very good in the outfield.

The first two exceptional fieldsmen I remember when first following the game as a kid were Ross Edwards and Paul Sheahan.
You must be as old as me, first two blokes who came to mind as well.
Symonds, Mark Waugh, Ricky Ponting Warner to me the best of the latter day players.

Roger Harper.

Surprised it took so long. Harper was an absolute freak fielder. Catcher and ground fielder no peer IMO. Gus Logie was awesome as well.

Didn't see it but Viv Richards was apparently incredible at his peak. IIRC Chappell credited his fielding to them winning the 75 World Cup with multiple direct hit runouts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back