Best first week of finals ever?

Remove this Banner Ad

The Geelong Collingwood game left me lost for words. The relentless pressure didn't really subside for 4 qtrs. It felt exhausted from following the trials and tribulations of both teams.

Pies were really magnificent. I feel they have improved, and now they know they are worthy and capable. I don't think I have seen pressure applied so well and consistently over 4 qtrs. Have to love that style.

Cats were forced to dig deep. Somehow despite being under duress and on the back foot constantly, never having space or time, they stayed in the game and had enough razzle to pull it off. I think they have also proved something to themselves, the game plan works, and the boys are tough and will not wilt. We saw it against Richmond, but this game took it much further.

The only other game I've seen which had that same effect on me of watching a war rather than a game, and being thoroughly absorbed and strained all the way through was the 71 GF. That's some compliment to Geelong and Collingwood.

Last edited:

The Geelong Collingwood game left me lost for words. The relentless pressure didn't really subside for 4 qtrs. It felt exhausted from following the trials and tribulations of both teams.

That first qtr was just about the best qtr of footy I can ever remember watching.

No its not hard. 1994.
Anyone under the age of 35 would struggle to remember that series.

Great opening week, definitely the best I've seen

People clearly forgot the 94 finals series. A draw with extra time, a kick after the siren to win the game, a 2 point thriller and a shock upset with 7th beating 2nd.
I was at 3 of these games. What a weekend, and got home to see Collingwood almost pull off a massive upset.

Anyone under the age of 35 would struggle to remember that series.

Great opening week, definitely the best I've seen
Can confirm, I'm 35 years old and its the first finals series I really remember. I remember being absolutely filthy at Carlton for losing as it meant my Hawks went straight out. Carey had a massive game in that drawn game as well from memory.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep. Best footy I can remember seeing. Particularly the pies. It will be very tough recovering for next week with the 4 quarter hard running go at all costs effort they put in.

Having said that Melbourne should pump the lions and if Collingwood can recover they should beat Freo. So top 4 making it through and normal scheduling back on track.

None of the results went my way so I didn't like it, but it has given me a bit of a laugh to see so many people happy that football is the winner regardless of where their teams finished, that's so cute 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

1994 was an amazing week of finals, but IMO the 2022 week was better, simply because of the 1 vs 4, 2 vs 3, 5 vs 8 and 6 vs 7 format.

Each side knew exactly what they were playing for, and each side is playing for exactly the same prize as its opponent.

As much as Geelong vs Footscray '94 was a heart-stopper, it actually meant stuff all. They both went on to the semi-finals the next weekend, it's just that (by quirk of the stupid system) Geelong's reward for winning was second-placed Carlton, and Footscray's punishment for losing was seventh-placed Melbourne.

Hawthorn didn't know they were knocked out, and North didn't know they'd made a prelim, until Carlton lost 24 hours later.

Fast forward to 2022. All four bottom half teams know it's season over if they lose. All four top half teams know it's a cruise straight through if they win.

1994 was an amazing week of finals, but IMO the 2022 week was better, simply because of the 1 vs 4, 2 vs 3, 5 vs 8 and 6 vs 7 format.

Each side knew exactly what they were playing for, and each side is playing for exactly the same prize as its opponent.

As much as Geelong vs Footscray '94 was a heart-stopper, it actually meant stuff all. They both went on to the semi-finals the next weekend, it's just that (by quirk of the stupid system) Geelong's reward for winning was second-placed Carlton, and Footscray's punishment for losing was seventh-placed Melbourne.

Hawthorn didn't know they were knocked out, and North didn't know they'd made a prelim, until Carlton lost 24 hours later.

Fast forward to 2022. All four bottom half teams know it's season over if they lose. All four top half teams know it's a cruise straight through if they win.
Isnt it the other way round though? Geelong losing to doggies could of meant being kicked out of the finals at the time of the actual match. We had no idea if we would survive a loss. However last night we knew if we lost we were still in it. So it wasnt the season on the line game unlike in 1994.

Great points about that system in place in the 90's...think 1999 was the first year it reverted to what the system is now. You got situations that if the top-2 won it simply meant the 6v 3 and 4 v 5 merely crossed over and played each other the following week. Or you get a situation like 1998 where 6th placed St.Kilda got 2 chances (lost both) and Melbourne's 1st week finals win saw them only advance to a semi final, yet Adelaide's defeat in 5th place saw them play the Swans. The Crows upset Sydney, won their last three finals and picked up a flag, despite being a 1st week loser in 5th place.

Now any side 5th-8th needs four finals to win, like the Dogs '2016, and the top-4 need three finals wins, including if losing a first week final.

Isnt it the other way round though? Geelong losing to doggies could of meant being kicked out of the finals at the time of the actual match. We had no idea if we would survive a loss. However last night we knew if we lost we were still in it. So it wasnt the season on the line game unlike in 1994.
Technically yes, but that would have been a long shot. The faint probability of being kicked out is pretty different to the shattering reaction of Richmond players after the final siren, too. I don't think a fourth/fifth placed team was eliminated in the first week for the entirety of that stupid finals system.

Great points about that system in place in the 90's...think 1999 was the first year it reverted to what the system is now. You got situations that if the top-2 won it simply meant the 6v 3 and 4 v 5 merely crossed over and played each other the following week.
It was the year 2000, I think.

I posted this on the North board, but 94 is pretty hard to top when you think of all the stars in action that weekend in close games.. Carey, Corey, Dunstall, Jarman, Ablett, Kouta, Diesel, Kernahan, Lyon, Stynes, Schwarz, Sumich, Jakovich, Matera, Buckley, McGuane...

I miss those days.

Yep. Best footy I can remember seeing. Particularly the pies. It will be very tough recovering for next week with the 4 quarter hard running go at all costs effort they put in.

Having said that Melbourne should pump the lions and if Collingwood can recover they should beat Freo. So top 4 making it through and normal scheduling back on track.

Collingwood should win but that would be a hard game to recover from and I expect Freo to put up a huge fight. Melb will smash the Lions as they always do.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back