Rumour Best football related rumour you have heard from someone you trust Part Deux

Remove this Banner Ad

jesterwester

Premiership Player
May 1, 2007
Aveley
AFL Club
West Coast
It’s one thing AFL players don’t get enough credit for, for mine. Playing through pain and still being able to perform at a really high level. Especially as the season goes on.

From reports at WC gaff is constantly sore and walks like an old man all week. Come game day, he’s off running 15-16km a match.

Me, I feel a twinge in the back and that’s me done.

hairy biker

Club Legend
Sep 24, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
It’s one thing AFL players don’t get enough credit for, for mine. Playing through pain and still being able to perform at a really high level.
index.jpg

Nonsense lad, they wouldn't what it is to play with pain.

Remember a game when me head came completely off, picked it up, put it back on and won BOG.

Sure had to have an op later, but that were only because I put on head wrong way round.

Kids these days.

bjwilliams

Team Captain
Apr 6, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
There was one guy - can’t remember who but I think he was Richmond too... 80s 90s player - who couldn’t sit in the team bus when going to Geelong coz his back was that f’ed, so they’d throw a mattress in the back of a station wagon for him to lie on.
There is probably 3 or 4 players on each list that play hurt each week. I dunno about the suing bit as nobody forced them to do it, but I certainly don’t begrudge then their pay packets considering what they risk
Reading up on the Zantuck piece it’s pretty messed up that they just have him epidurals to deal with the pain and then told him to keep playing. Anyone would know that’s going to create ongoing, and with regular mismanagement, permanent issues.

ROOTA#6

Brownlow Medallist
May 12, 2006
Bendigo
AFL Club
St Kilda
Reading up on the Zantuck piece it’s pretty messed up that they just have him epidurals to deal with the pain and then told him to keep playing. Anyone would know that’s going to create ongoing, and with regular mismanagement, permanent issues.
do we know that is what happened though?

bjwilliams

Team Captain
Apr 6, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
do we know that is what happened though?
No, no idea, that's what the case will establish. I'm just saying if it is true, Richmond (and likely all the AFL teams) have a fair bit to answer for. It's a bit more nuanced than " There is probably 3 or 4 players on each list that play hurt each week. I dunno about the suing bit as nobody forced them to do it"

burge13

Premiership Player
Jan 25, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
It’s one thing AFL players don’t get enough credit for, for mine. Playing through pain and still being able to perform at a really high level. Especially as the season goes on.

From reports at WC gaff is constantly sore and walks like an old man all week. Come game day, he’s off running 15-16km a match.

Me, I feel a twinge in the back and that’s me done.
Didn't Nick Reiwoldt stop training about 4 years before he retired and still managed to play every week and run blokes off their feet?

Even still, it's their choice to play and they know footy will cause injury. You don't get to turn around and sue later on because your knee's sore, like no sh*t. You're telling me a removalist or tiler will have a bad back later in life? Colour me shocked

GhostofJimJess

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 14, 2002
AFL Club
Richmond
I think it was David Honeybun.
👍 Maybe it was Benny Gale’s story and/or car then. Dave Honeybun was a classic bloke - if ever the footy public was deprived of a genuine media superstar who never happened, it was Dave. His post-match interviews, although few and far between, we’re always hilarious. Shame no footy media outlet grabbed him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

sprockets

Premiership Player
Oct 15, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Didn't Nick Reiwoldt stop training about 4 years before he retired and still managed to play every week and run blokes off their feet?

Even still, it's their choice to play and they know footy will cause injury. You don't get to turn around and sue later on because your knee's sore, like no sh*t. You're telling me a removalist or tiler will have a bad back later in life? Colour me shocked
Yep it's their choice to play. However, doctors have a duty of care and people are supposed to rely on their advice. If a Dr tells you an injury won't get worse by playing you should be able to rely on that advice.

In Zantuck's case the Dr may have told him he won't feel pain by playing with the injection but playing won't do the injury any good and it could get worse. That's what I'd be telling the court if I was the doc.

jesterwester

Premiership Player
May 1, 2007
Aveley
AFL Club
West Coast

That doesn’t surprise me so much, but it is amazing to think he played so well without being able to train. Would he have played for longer or kicked more goals had he been able to? Special footballer, Nick.

West Coast have a few that don’t train during the week so much. Just going what they need to to get up for the next week. Perhaps that explains some things as to where my club sits right now. But it’s not uncommon especially as players get older and the years of footy start to come back to bite them later.

It will be an interesting case from a precedent perspective, which makes me wonder whether they are testing this from a legal aspect with a floodgate of further cases pending the outcome. Legal duty of care compared to usual duty of care are sometimes a long way apart in my experience, especially from a long term perspective. I suspect it hasn’t been tested in a court of law which is what they are trying now.

How Ty plans to prove that damages related only to his AFL career and not From anything else I have no idea. But I do agree with you- surely they have waivers they sign before playing AFL?

TedDougChris

Premium Platinum
Mar 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Charlton Athletic, Roys FFC
Special footballer, Nick.
As much as I hated him for his diving - each summer I wanted our KPF's to go and train with him to see just what it takes to become successful in the modern game. A great role model for getting every single bit out of himself through hard work and training....

hairy biker

Club Legend
Sep 24, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Given the heightened emphasis on duty of care and lawsuits flying about I'm surprised there was nothing (at least that I saw) about Dunkley going back out after dislocating his shoulder on the weekend.

Taken down to the rooms, shoulder put back into place and sent back out without any strapping.
Lo and behold dislocated it again and now to undergo shoulder surgery and out for months.

Remember a few years back a Bulldogs player (Clay Smith) was sent back out with a ruptured ACL, according to to the same doctor (Dr Zimmerman) because he couldn't do any more damage.
Shortly after going back out, Smith collapsed and had to be stretchered off.

Western Bulldogs launched their own investigation after the incident, Zimmerman given the all clear.

TedDougChris

Premium Platinum
Mar 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Given the heightened emphasis on duty of care and lawsuits flying about I'm surprised there was nothing (at least that I saw) about Dunkley going back out after dislocating his shoulder on the weekend.

Taken down to the rooms, shoulder put back into place and sent back out without any strapping.
Lo and behold dislocated it again and now to undergo shoulder surgery and out for months.

Remember a few years back a Bulldogs player (Clay Smith) was sent back out with a ruptured ACL, according to to the same doctor (Dr Zimmerman) because he couldn't do any more damage.
Shortly after going back out, Smith collapsed and had to be stretchered off.

Western Bulldogs launched their own investigation after the incident, Zimmerman given the all clear.
On the Clay Smith thing - he made the call thinking it might be his last ever game - which I think he discussed on his "Open Mike" episode - but it caused significant concern amongst Dogs fans at the time.

We have similar questions on Dunkley right now - but I wonder if it pops back in ok, it might be stable - but if it then pops straight back out - it confirms surgery is required. So was that what they were testing on Friday ?? Seems an odd way to do it IMO - but we haven't had much more details come out yet....

From an outsiders perspective - both seem odd....

jesterwester

Premiership Player
May 1, 2007
Aveley
AFL Club
West Coast
As much as I hated him for his diving - each summer I wanted our KPF's to go and train with him to see just what it takes to become successful in the modern game. A great role model for getting every single bit out of himself through hard work and training....
So many have the talent but not the application to take that next step. Riewoldt was not one of those.

It’s partly the reason He’s one of the ex players in the media who’s opinion I do pay attention to. He left no stone unturned in his career to get the best out of himself. He knows what he is talking about.

TedDougChris

Premium Platinum
Mar 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
So many have the talent but not the application to take that next step. Riewoldt was not one of those.

It’s partly the reason He’s one of the ex players in the media who’s opinion I do pay attention to. He left no stone unturned in his career to get the best out of himself. He knows what he is talking about.
Imagine if someone like Stringer worked as hard as Nick did ???

Sainter3and7

Premium Gold
Apr 29, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
I had a serious back problem and had 30 epidural procedures (and a lot of other things) as part of my treatment. It left me with scarring so bad that the scar tissue has covered all the nerves coming out of the spine. It is called arachnoiditis, I believe. It causes weakness in the leg and back pain... if he has that, the scars from the epidurals can be precisely traced to the damaged nerves. And definitely shouldn't be playing footy with it. Medical advice should have been to retire, if that is it.