Not-a-cluey Best FOOTBALL RELATED RUMOUR you have heard from someone you trust Part Deux - Many lies and bullshit in here. Please read OP before posting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:

Didn't Nick Reiwoldt stop training about 4 years before he retired and still managed to play every week and run blokes off their feet?

Even still, it's their choice to play and they know footy will cause injury. You don't get to turn around and sue later on because your knee's sore, like no sh*t. You're telling me a removalist or tiler will have a bad back later in life? Colour me shocked
That doesn’t surprise me so much, but it is amazing to think he played so well without being able to train. Would he have played for longer or kicked more goals had he been able to? Special footballer, Nick.

West Coast have a few that don’t train during the week so much. Just going what they need to to get up for the next week. Perhaps that explains some things as to where my club sits right now. But it’s not uncommon especially as players get older and the years of footy start to come back to bite them later.

It will be an interesting case from a precedent perspective, which makes me wonder whether they are testing this from a legal aspect with a floodgate of further cases pending the outcome. Legal duty of care compared to usual duty of care are sometimes a long way apart in my experience, especially from a long term perspective. I suspect it hasn’t been tested in a court of law which is what they are trying now.

How Ty plans to prove that damages related only to his AFL career and not From anything else I have no idea. But I do agree with you- surely they have waivers they sign before playing AFL?

Special footballer, Nick.

As much as I hated him for his diving - each summer I wanted our KPF's to go and train with him to see just what it takes to become successful in the modern game. A great role model for getting every single bit out of himself through hard work and training....

Given the heightened emphasis on duty of care and lawsuits flying about I'm surprised there was nothing (at least that I saw) about Dunkley going back out after dislocating his shoulder on the weekend.

Taken down to the rooms, shoulder put back into place and sent back out without any strapping.
Lo and behold dislocated it again and now to undergo shoulder surgery and out for months.

Remember a few years back a Bulldogs player (Clay Smith) was sent back out with a ruptured ACL, according to to the same doctor (Dr Zimmerman) because he couldn't do any more damage.
Shortly after going back out, Smith collapsed and had to be stretchered off.

Western Bulldogs launched their own investigation after the incident, Zimmerman given the all clear.

Given the heightened emphasis on duty of care and lawsuits flying about I'm surprised there was nothing (at least that I saw) about Dunkley going back out after dislocating his shoulder on the weekend.

Taken down to the rooms, shoulder put back into place and sent back out without any strapping.
Lo and behold dislocated it again and now to undergo shoulder surgery and out for months.

Remember a few years back a Bulldogs player (Clay Smith) was sent back out with a ruptured ACL, according to to the same doctor (Dr Zimmerman) because he couldn't do any more damage.

Western Bulldogs launched their own investigation after the incident, Zimmerman given the all clear.

On the Clay Smith thing - he made the call thinking it might be his last ever game - which I think he discussed on his "Open Mike" episode - but it caused significant concern amongst Dogs fans at the time.

We have similar questions on Dunkley right now - but I wonder if it pops back in ok, it might be stable - but if it then pops straight back out - it confirms surgery is required. So was that what they were testing on Friday ?? Seems an odd way to do it IMO - but we haven't had much more details come out yet....

From an outsiders perspective - both seem odd....

As much as I hated him for his diving - each summer I wanted our KPF's to go and train with him to see just what it takes to become successful in the modern game. A great role model for getting every single bit out of himself through hard work and training....
So many have the talent but not the application to take that next step. Riewoldt was not one of those.

It’s partly the reason He’s one of the ex players in the media who’s opinion I do pay attention to. He left no stone unturned in his career to get the best out of himself. He knows what he is talking about.

So many have the talent but not the application to take that next step. Riewoldt was not one of those.

It’s partly the reason He’s one of the ex players in the media who’s opinion I do pay attention to. He left no stone unturned in his career to get the best out of himself. He knows what he is talking about.

Imagine if someone like Stringer worked as hard as Nick did ???

I had a serious back problem and had 30 epidural procedures (and a lot of other things) as part of my treatment. It left me with scarring so bad that the scar tissue has covered all the nerves coming out of the spine. It is called arachnoiditis, I believe. It causes weakness in the leg and back pain... if he has that, the scars from the epidurals can be precisely traced to the damaged nerves. And definitely shouldn't be playing footy with it. Medical advice should have been to retire, if that is it.

My left leg has become incredibly weak after the procedures. For a while I had a droopy foot (it dragged and I didn't have feeling in it) but that improved after multiple surgeries. Still have to do exercises with a Physio every week and my disability support workers every day. Obviously I'm in a much worse position than him, but those epidurals didn't help me the way they are supposed to. It got to the point where the only time I wasn't in pain was while I was in the recovery room still under anesthetic... but even then, once they moved me on the bed, the root nerve pain from kicked in. I actually remember the last time I was pain free... in a recovery room in about 2012. Even though I've had maybe 15 surgeries under general anesthesia since then, that was the only time I wasn't feeling pain.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

👍 Maybe it was Benny Gale’s story and/or car then. Dave Honeybun was a classic bloke - if ever the footy public was deprived of a genuine media superstar who never happened, it was Dave. His post-match interviews, although few and far between, we’re always hilarious. Shame no footy media outlet grabbed him.

A little on the eccentric side but could play when he was fit.

My left leg has become incredibly weak after the procedures. For a while I had a droopy foot (it dragged and I didn't have feeling in it) but that improved after multiple surgeries. Still have to do exercises with a Physio every week and my disability support workers every day. Obviously I'm in a much worse position than him, but those epidurals didn't help me the way they are supposed to. It got to the point where the only time I wasn't in pain was while I was in the recovery room still under anesthetic... but even then, once they moved me on the bed, the root nerve pain from kicked in. I actually remember the last time I was pain free... in a recovery room in about 2012. Even though I've had maybe 15 surgeries under general anesthesia since then, that was the only time I wasn't feeling pain.

As someone who has occasional back problems but nothing as bad as this (yet), this is scary.

Fellas, look after your backs - once it goes, you're ****ed.

It's not the second dislocation that causes the need for surgery. If the shoulder pops out again it just confirms that surgery is required. Dunkley needed surgery after the first dislocation - they just didn't know it yet. Sending them back out is basically the test.

Some players dislocate their shoulder, have it popped back in, and go out and finish the game without needing surgery.

Others damage the ligaments too much during the first dislocation - the joint becomes too loose and no amount of rest will heal it.

It's not the second dislocation that causes the need for surgery. If the shoulder pops out again it just confirms that surgery is required. Dunkley needed surgery after the first dislocation - they just didn't know it yet. Sending them back out is basically the test.

Some players dislocate their shoulder, have it popped back in, and go out and finish the game without needing surgery.

Others damage the ligaments too much during the first dislocation - the joint becomes too loose and no amount of rest will heal it.
The part that most surprised me was that he was sent out virtually straight away without any strapping.

Certainly players are sent back out after a shoulder dislocation, but surely some degree of stabilisation/support (via strapping) is preferable.

Maybe it's a common occurrence, but I can honestly say that was the first time I've noticed a player going back out on the ground without any strapping after a shoulder dislocation.
And given the state of the game was there a need to send him back out to 'test' his shoulder?
Presumably a clinical evaluation (incl scans etc) could have been conducted subsequent to the game, without any risk of further injury to the joint/ligaments etc.

Last edited:

I feel really bad for you.

Do you have a pain management plan in place?

I also had series of epidural steroid injections and every time it felt like instant relief.

I feel really bad for you.

Do you have a pain management plan in place?

I also had series of epidural steroid injections and every time it felt like instant relief.

Thanks. I appreciate your concern and kindness.

I am going to have a spinal stimulator inserted on May 17 to try to address some of the pain. It won't take away the leg weakness which is secondary to the spinal injuries, but... I hope it works. I had a temporary one inserted about a month ago, for 10 days, and it didn't work for 8 of those days, but perhaps it worked for two. I'm not really sure, but it's pretty much my only hope. My ex-wife became addicted to opioids, so I refuse to take them except when I am an inpatient after surgery. I have had a lot, lot, lot of surgeries all over my body after a car accident (maybe 50?) so I can't be taking them regularly outside hospital or they won't work the way they're intended after operations. The spinal stimulator will be my fifth operation since July 2020 and I'm still having that many surgeries although my accident was in 1992. (It was, as you can imagine, quite horrendous).

Ty Zantuck was the guy who Richmond officials told other players not to live with because of his rife drug use, thats why Richmond flicked him

There seems to be a few of these type of cases popping up for the AFL, and a few seem to be lodged by absolute dickhead blokes
There was a few at the time, remember hearing rumours he was a bouncer for a club the Carlton crew ran?

Ty Zantuck was the guy who Richmond officials told other players not to live with because of his rife drug use, thats why Richmond flicked him

There seems to be a few of these type of cases popping up for the AFL, and a few seem to be lodged by absolute dickhead blokes

Always love these comments

It interesting as if the player is a gun,
The player seems to stay .
Well at Tigerland anyway

It was Brendan Gale. No sh*t.

It was actually David Honybun.

Gale had a connection to it though - it was his van that used to transport Honybun to games (Christ knows what happened on that mattress the rest of the week...)

There was a kid in my class who was the only Richmond fan at the school (this is 1990, so grim times for the Tiges). When we were asked to write a letter to our heroes, most of us did the dumb thing and wrote to Allan Border, which meant we never got a reply. This kid instead wrote to Honybun, who wrote back with a long double-sided letter, included pictures of his fiancee and family etc. No photos from the van, thankfully.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back