Rumour Best football related rumour you have heard from someone you trust

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Draft tampering. Payments outside the salary cap. They absolutely have jurisdiction.

It has nothing to do with the draft and if he was on the lions books then salary cap isn’t relevent for any income beams gets from sources not affiliated to brissie.

Again I don’t for a second think it’s true, just an interesting rumour in the grey.

It has nothing to do with the draft and if he was on the lions books then salary cap isn’t relevent for any income beams gets from sources not affiliated to brissie.

Again I don’t for a second think it’s true, just an interesting rumour in the grey.
It's the AFL, so you can bet your arse that if it doesn't come out in the media, nothing will happen. If it does, they will act to manage perception, whether it's relevant or not.

Another thread is claiming beams had a 1.2m gambling debt and Eddie paid it off for him when he came back down to Melbourne.

I call ******** but theoretically if it were true I wonder what the salary cap implications would be.

Could the salary cap implications be stripping of points?

Opposition president paying off your debts to entice you to his club isn't relevant? Absolutely against the rules.

Melbourne 'strong man' Rod Grinter allegedly had the **** punched out of him by a teammate at a private function for the players circa 1986-88. Sensational fight with Wells, Connolly, Stynes, Lyon et.al all attempting to defuse without much luck! Grinter lost the fight but remarkably, and to his credit, refused to submit.

Apparently those involved laughed about it at next training session. The bloke who did the damage had a disjointed career through injury but played in the '88 loss to Hawthorn. Tough bastard.
Story about Rod Grinter I heard from a player that played with New Norfolk in the old TFL when he coached there in the late 90s was that he was probably the most unpopular coach in the club's history and was actively run out of town by the locals up there!

Can confirm Whitey used to buy vast amounts of green from a friend of mine back in his playing days only met him a couple of times but seemed like great bloke

He was lining for goal against the Hawks one day from the boundary line, when I started doing the "Daryl, Daryl" chant from the Simpsons.

More and more people picked up on it till there was a sizeable chant going. Of course, White nails the near impossible shot, turns around to us and gives the crowd the biggest smile - it seemed he got the joke and basically responded in the best way possible. Thank fornication, we still won the game because I would have felt like the world's biggest idiot if I'd contributed to the Lions getting back into the match.

I would have loved to share a billy with him. He was a great player to watch.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He used to come into work when he did radio here in Adelaide and did tv and radio ads for work, came across as a self entitled ****** who wanted everything for nothing and wanted everything done for him immediately

edit : cant believe wan$ker is blocked on here

I think that he has lightened up in the last few years, unless its an act. The radio show he does with Bill is comedy gold. He definitely had some FIGJAM when on the footy show but I think he's probably softened with age

As if Eddie would stump up over $1 mill of his own cash.

If there is any truth to the rumour, it's Collingwood money and that's against all sorts of rules.
And you reckon if there was any truth to the club being involved in relation to paying/removing that debt there would be scuttlebutt on an online forum?

FMD people are stupid.

And you reckon if there was any truth to the club being involved in relation to paying/removing that debt there would be scuttlebutt on an online forum?

FMD people are stupid.

WTF? Don't be so defensive.

I said IF there was any truth to the rumour, etc.

It's also naive (stupid?) to think that there would be no leaks in relation to a matter such as this. If it happened, sure the club would shut up about it, but all the people who knew about the debt would probably start talking when it was suddenly repaid.

Beams is a great footballer, but he comes cross as a pathetic human.

It's also naive (stupid?) to think that there would be no leaks in relation to a matter such as this. If it happened, sure the club would shut up about it, but all the people who knew about the debt would probably start talking when it was suddenly repaid.

Labeling someone you've never had anything to do with as a 'pathetic human' is itself pathetic. What are your reasons for such a view?

I'd reign it in on both counts.
Was excellent, but now not so much onfield.
Have not met the fella, but I like the way he has confronted trolls, so don't mind what he stands for in that case.
I personally would prefer it if players nominate a state & not only one team when wanting to move home, as it places their current team over a barrell.
Happy to stand corrected by those in the know, but wanted to give some support for the fella.

Labeling someone you've never had anything to do with as a 'pathetic human' is itself pathetic. What are your reasons for such a view?

My reason is that both times he left a club, first Collingwood a few years ago and then Brisbane, he basically did it in a way that he backed the club into a corner. Both times, and particularly the latter, it was not long after professing his undying love for the group that he subsequently dumped. I don't think he did it in a particularly courageous way either. Fagan only found out in the press, and it was within a week of Beams assuring him he was there for keeps.

Yes, I know about his father and it's a traumatic thing to go through. Doesn't excuse his behaviour, IMO.

I note you didn't address the material part of my post ...

I'd reign it in on both counts.
Was excellent, but now not so much onfield.
Have not met the fella, but I like the way he has confronted trolls, so don't mind what he stands for in that case.
I personally would prefer it if players nominate a state & not only one team when wanting to move home, as it places their current team over a barrell.
Happy to stand corrected by those in the know, but wanted to give some support for the fella.

Both counts?? Not sure what you're getting at.

If you mean me addressing a hypothetical (the gambling debt) and suggesting the logical outcome thereof, I'm not sure you have much basis for telling me to "reign it in". Did you also miss the "IF"?

I've addressed the other point. You also said it's not right to place one's current team over a barrel - Beams has done it twice. Pathetic, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back