Rumour Best football related rumour you have heard from someone you trust

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
In October 2010, Melbourne and Brisbane played in an exhibition match in Shanghai.

The teams treated it as a junket and the story goes that the Melbourne team got absolutely trashed the night before the game to the point that they couldn't field a full team. The AFL said that playing 16 a side would 'open the game up' as an excuse, but that the real reason was Melbourne had a few hangovers too many.

It's also alleged that during the trip, Tom Scully was so disgusted by the lack of professionalism by his team mates that he decided to leave ASAP, or at least the trip was a factor in his decision.

Its also said that Max Gawn vomited on Scully at some point.

If anyone has heard anything else from this trip chime in.
Ahhh yep. Not proud to confirm, but yes. I have some really good contacts at the club through my family, and they all say that trip was messy in many ways.

The Gawn draft night is true. He has told the story

Ford used to give Gary Ablett Snr sponsor cars and he'd just drive then until the fuel run out then hitch hike wherever he was going. He didn't mow his lawns for ages so the club organised a ride on mower to get it sorted out but he just used it to drive down the road to the shops.

He'd walk into sports shops and stuff in Geelong and help himself to whatever he wanted, same with restaurants.

He turned up to a dealers house during a bust but insisted on still scoring - with cops everywhere.
One of the senior cops actually chopped him out so he'd fu** off.

Any Geelong people got stories about Gazza from that time?
Not sure how true but a good yarn anyway...
Geelong was playing in Melbourne. Come meeting time no Gaz. They go looking and find him half way between pub and house asleep. Sober him up, get him to the ground and he does a Gaz run amok day and takes the other team apart. Dunno how true this is, but I’d really like it to be

Any Adelaide people know who this is? Couldn't find who it was.

There was a player at Port Adelaide in the early/mid 2000's that they called "Stomper" because he would poo in the showers and stomp it down the drain.

Ralph Sewer was known for this in the 80s/90s. Played for Woodville and Glenelg.

In October 2010, Melbourne and Brisbane played in an exhibition match in Shanghai.

The teams treated it as a junket and the story goes that the Melbourne team got absolutely trashed the night before the game to the point that they couldn't field a full team. The AFL said that playing 16 a side would 'open the game up' as an excuse, but that the real reason was Melbourne had a few hangovers too many.

It's also alleged that during the trip, Tom Scully was so disgusted by the lack of professionalism by his team mates that he decided to leave ASAP, or at least the trip was a factor in his decision.

This is definitely true.

Added to this part of Melbourne folklore, it's the trip where Liam Jurrah was introduced to alcohol, Brent Moloney and Colin Sylvia created quite a division I'm the playing group with their desire to "ten before ten" and obviously the Scully saga.

Ultimately it was the beginning of the end for Dean baileys coaching career as Schwab and other members of Melbourne board saw first hand the lack of professionalism which directed them to want to hire a more disciplined coach in..... Mark Neeld.

True story.

A few years ago at AFL HQ, Gill caught wind of some office shenanigans. A lot of rumours of who was sleeping with who but no one had any concrete idea who was.

An amnesty was called and the executive had the option to volunteer who was up to no good. Gill had an inkling it was Richard Simkiss (who he played amateur football against) and was about to confront him privately. Lethlean came forward, which no one expected and then Simkiss followed him up.

Gill was then forced to let both of them go but didn’t want to step Lethlean down. The commission then told him he had no other to.
Bit of an own goal really. Who cares who’s rooting who around the office, and in the case of Lethlean it was long since over.

Gawn did apparently chuck on him

Good to see that unprofessional kid go on to captain the club and be a 4 x AA. While Scully the so called professional went on to be an average mercenary

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Give ole Zip Zap some credit Bomber

Played in the 60s,70s,80s and 90s

Only SANFL player to play across 4 decades.

This is true. Was a pretty handy player even towards the end.

Max Gawn spewing on Tom Scully is about the funniest thing I've read. I just just visualize it. I only hope that afterwards, Big Maximum reeled back and stated "*! I don't remember eating that!"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Max Gawn spewing on Tom Scully is about the funniest thing I've read. I just just visualize it.

Actual footage;
bloody chartreuse.gif

Coincidentally Max never mixed chartreuse and pea and ham soup again.

He's still playing currently if you want a hint
Shaun Burgoyne

Seen this one before but this time it has an alternate ending....which version do you think is true? (I don't know, first one sounds more plausible).

There was a Brisbane Lions player that was a 50/50 shot at being delisted. Leigh Matthews was coach at the time and story goes that Leigh pissed with his pants around his ankles. Said player was pretending to be him pissing and saying "hey, I'm Leigh Matthews" and got sprung by the great man himself. Delisted the next week

ALTERNATE ENDING: Player was pretending to be him pissing and mocking him, and Lethal came in, didn't realise he was being made fun of, and exclaimed "you do it too!" and he kept his job.

another turd burglar who is too scared to name names

there would be 30,40,50 or more turd burglars who have posted here

they are having a xmas party...highlight is the conga line moving
to an african beat...all fishing for a chocolate ball

Only one player is still around from the early 2000s for port, bit more than a hint mate

Seen this one before but this time it has an alternate ending....which version do you think is true? (I don't know, first one sounds more plausible).

There was a Brisbane Lions player that was a 50/50 shot at being delisted. Leigh Matthews was coach at the time and story goes that Leigh pissed with his pants around his ankles. Said player was pretending to be him pissing and saying "hey, I'm Leigh Matthews" and got sprung by the great man himself. Delisted the next week

ALTERNATE ENDING: Player was pretending to be him pissing and mocking him, and Lethal came in, didn't realise he was being made fun of, and exclaimed "you do it too!" and he kept his job.

pants down, lifting shirt isnt it? the butters

Dylan McLaren did not keep his job.

When Aker moved to the country to coach he caught up with Nigel Lappin (originally from very close to where Aker was living) for a day of hunting.

Laps knew a farmer who would let them hunt on his property and out they went. They were told that some wild horses had been getting around and they had free reign on pulling the trigger on them. They spent the entire day on the hunt and never got to fire a shot. As they ventured back close to the farmhouse, Aker, being a renowned perfectionist and hothead, subsequently shot and killed one of the farmers paddock horses.

The farmer was quite rightly livid but Aker played it off as an accident and nothing further came of it.

When Aker moved to the country to coach he caught up with Nigel Lappin (originally from very close to where Aker was living) for a day of hunting.

Laps knew a farmer who would let them hunt on his property and out they went. They were told that some wild horses had been getting around and they had free reign on pulling the trigger on them. They spent the entire day on the hunt and never got to fire a shot. As they ventured back close to the farmhouse, Aker, being a renowned perfectionist and hothead, subsequently shot and killed one of the farmers paddock horses.

The farmer was quite rightly livid but Aker played it off as an accident and nothing further came of it.

Back in my cricket days, many, many years ago, ex-England and Warwickshire player Dermott Reeve, who was playing club cricket in Perth, told me that very same story. Just swap Garth Le Roux and Alan Lamb for Lappin and Akermanis.

Back in my cricket days, many, many years ago, ex-England and Warwickshire player Dermott Reeve, who was playing club cricket in Perth, told me that very same story. Just swap Garth Le Roux and Alan Lamb for Lappin and Akermanis.

I've never heard of those guys though so it's automatically less hilarious.

Maybe it's a classic sportsman night anecdote and those of us who were told have been stooged.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back