Best football school in Australia

Remove this Banner Ad

i have read the other posts with interest, while vic park raiders may not be a school they are a junior football club in perth and come under the perth football district. the year 10s ( under 15s as they use to call it ) had a fantastic year 2012 having won their own grandfinal in their district and then went on to win 5 days later another grandfinal against their cross district rivals from the east perth zone. both finals were won easily. this same team had been runners up for the past two years.
they also had the fairest and best and runner up for this years district best player. the young chap who won the faierst and best for this year also won it last year and he also was voted the best player in the grandfinal he also is the captain of the Perth District year 10s football club.
Names to watch out for in the next two/three years are Gallagher,Butler, Levine, Roy and Desmond

St. Michaels Old Scholars & Hindmarsh - Had some great players SA players like B Lake, W. Tredrea, B Ebert, B Smith, B. Karamanov, S. Ihms, B. Moore. Other clubs such as SPOC, Henley, St Micks, Adelaide Uni are good too.

Two St Pats boys already picked up this year..

Top 3 schools for footy in the state.

St Bernads (Essendon), Essendon/Keilor College & PEGS/Essendon Grammar churn out many players each year and they are all located within 2km of each other

Spot on Sivart :thumbsu:

Five St Pats boys drafted this year to go with four last year.

And one of the best is yet to come, Matt Crouch this year. :thumbsu:

Ok lets put some facts together here. The APS is, without a doubt the best school boys football competition in Victoria. This is proven by....It is the number 1 school boy competition in producing AFL footballers. Within that competition, schools such as St Kevin's, Scotch, MGS and Haileybury, are all known for giving scholarships to football talents. Xavier College is a powerhouse football school, along with assumption and st bernards. Xavier is one of the only premier football schools in Victoria, that does not give out sporting scholarships of any kind. Considering this, they are the number 2 school in Australia for the number of league footballers produced, and the number 1 school in the APS. Haileybury, in the past 5 years has produced more footballers then any other school in the APS, but Xavier College, going by facts, and knowledge, is Australia's number 1 football school in australia.

Hey Combemete,
I dont recall seeing Rioli at Burke Hall (Xaviers junior school) in Year 7,8 or 9 ????

Xavier is Full of scholarship players Mr Conbermere. What are u trying to gain by telling total mistruths ?

I still feel sorry for the Year 7's who have to play ihe 2nds when they get to Year 11 and 12 to make way for the scholarship non fee paying students.

Hey Combemete,
I dont recall seeing Rioli at Burke Hall (Xaviers junior school) in Year 7,8 or 9 ????

Xavier is Full of scholarship players Mr Conbermere. What are u trying to gain by telling total mistruths ?

I still feel sorry for the Year 7's who have to play ihe 2nds when they get to Year 11 and 12 to make way for the scholarship non fee paying students.
RMercadi, first off, i stated that Xavier does not give out sporting scholarships, which is true. Rioli was brought in, not to play football, but on and indigenous scholarship of australia. Xavier offered to let him off if he didn't want to play sport for the school, but he elected to play. The reason he couldn't come to the Junior school, is because he lives in Broome, and Burke Hall does not have a boarding complex. There are two more examples of this coming through now. Two aboriginal kids have been brought to the school, in YEAR 9, AS BOARDERS, on an indigenous scholarship program. The reason, to help further educate them, and give them a chance at a better life. One of those boys doesn't even play football, and the other is not in the XV111. So before you go accusing me of telling mistruths, look at the facts, Xavier College is not just focused on sport, get your head around that, the aboriginal kids were brought in, to help them develop as people and to give them better opportunities. While this being the case, Xavier still produces, and has done for a very long time, a mass amount of league footballers.

RMercadi, first off, i stated that Xavier does not give out sporting scholarships, which is true. Rioli was brought in, not to play football, but on and indigenous scholarship of australia. Xavier offered to let him off if he didn't want to play sport for the school, but he elected to play. The reason he couldn't come to the Junior school, is because he lives in Broome, and Burke Hall does not have a boarding complex. There are two more examples of this coming through now. Two aboriginal kids have been brought to the school, in YEAR 9, AS BOARDERS, on an indigenous scholarship program. The reason, to help further educate them, and give them a chance at a better life. One of those boys doesn't even play football, and the other is not in the XV111. So before you go accusing me of telling mistruths, look at the facts, Xavier College is not just focused on sport, get your head around that, the aboriginal kids were brought in, to help them develop as people and to give them better opportunities. While this being the case, Xavier still produces, and has done for a very long time, a mass amount of league footballers.
Exactly the same as Scotch yet you listed them as giving out sports scholarships...

Exactly the same as Scotch yet you listed them as giving out sports scholarships...

t
Yes this is true, i am an old scotch boy and yes Scotch no longer give out sporting scholarships, BUT, previously i.e before the year 2000, they did give out scholarships. What i tried to say, is that xavier still remains, and always have been a non sport-scholarship school.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Doesn't Trinity (I think) in Perth have a s**t load of current players, maybe even the most?

Yes, i believe ATM it is around 11.

I stand corected ...........Trinity College in Perth currently has 14 players ON AFL lists, Embley, Fasolo, Wellingham, Stevenson, McGinnity, Garlett, Brennan, Conca, McInnes, Josh Hill, Newman, Duncan, Lucas, Colyer.

If you want quality look no further than the Xavier boys.
Jobe Watson (Brownlow) (All Australian)
Josh Kennedy (Sydney) (All Australian) (Premiership)
Ted Richards (All Australian) (Premiership)
Dan Hanneberry (Runner up Norm Smith) (Premiership)
Alex Johnson (Premiership)
Luke Ball
Robbie Tarrant
Sam Shaw
Alex Brown
Matt Spangher
Tim Golds
Xavier Richards
Dan Robinson

Not as many players as Trinity College, but they obviously far outrank them quality wise. 2 of the best midfielders in the game wowee

Ok lets put some facts together here. The APS is, without a doubt the best school boys football competition in Victoria. This is proven by....It is the number 1 school boy competition in producing AFL footballers. Within that competition, schools such as St Kevin's, Scotch, MGS and Haileybury, are all known for giving scholarships to football talents. Xavier College is a powerhouse football school, along with assumption and st bernards. Xavier is one of the only premier football schools in Victoria, that does not give out sporting scholarships of any kind. Considering this, they are the number 2 school in Australia for the number of league footballers produced, and the number 1 school in the APS. Haileybury, in the past 5 years has produced more footballers then any other school in the APS, but Xavier College, going by facts, and knowledge, is Australia's number 1 football school in australia.

Since you have gone to the effort of trying to talk facts I thought I'd help you with some correct ones for the sake of completeness.

1. Scholarships
I can only speak about SKC but the last 2 players to be drafted (Wallace and Libba Jr) were both non scholarship and long term students of the college as was the current Norm Smith Medalist and dual premiership player Ryan O'Keefe. Same goes for premiership coach and multiple premiership player C.Scott and his premiership winning brother and current coach B.Scott, football manager and premiership player J.Mahoney and the list goes on...

2. Powerhouse
Seeing as XC haven't won a premiership for the past 5 years or more I'm not sure how you arrived at the conclusion that they are the premier football school in Victoria or Australia - they aren't even the premier team in the APS. Granted they have a wonderful history. The same of course could be said for Greece but no one is calling them the premier country of Europe...

There are plenty of schools with claims to being a good footballing school but I think it's safe to say that "by facts, and knowledge" XC is not "number 1 football school in Australia."

Since you have gone to the effort of trying to talk facts I thought I'd help you with some correct ones for the sake of completeness.

1. Scholarships
I can only speak about SKC but the last 2 players to be drafted (Wallace and Libba Jr) were both non scholarship and long term students of the college as was the current Norm Smith Medalist and dual premiership player Ryan O'Keefe. Same goes for premiership coach and multiple premiership player C.Scott and his premiership winning brother and current coach B.Scott, football manager and premiership player J.Mahoney and the list goes on...

2. Powerhouse
Seeing as XC haven't won a premiership for the past 5 years or more I'm not sure how you arrived at the conclusion that they are the premier football school in Victoria or Australia - they aren't even the premier team in the APS. Granted they have a wonderful history. The same of course could be said for Greece but no one is calling them the premier country of Europe...

There are plenty of schools with claims to being a good footballing school but I think it's safe to say that "by facts, and knowledge" XC is not "number 1 football school in Australia."

This debate is always interesting, particularly in the absence of actual facts. Here are some facts to solve the question of which school has produced the most VFL (now AFL) and AFL players since 1897:

1. Scotch College is the school which has produced more VFL (1897-1989) and AFL (1990-2013) players than any other school, with 163. The following two links show 161 of them. Since those articles were written, Ben Sinclair has debuted for Collingwood, and John William Matthew Davies has since been identified as an early Carlton player:

http://www.scotch.vic.edu.au/gscot/10sepgs/50.htm

http://www.scotch.vic.edu.au/gscot/10decgs/58a.htm

The only way to confirm how many VFL/AFL players a school has produced is to do what has been done here - match players' details with those held by the school. Names and dates of birth need to match. Anything less is speculation of the kind usually seen on Big Footy.

2. Melbourne Grammar School comes second. It currently has 142 players who have played VFL/AFL footy. Its list is completely reliable and has been compiled the proper way - by comparing players' names and DOBs with its student records.

3. Xavier College comes third, with 117 players. Its list has also been compiled the proper way.

4. The Scotch article above quotes Assumption College as saying it had 148 players. This has since been found to include blokes who only played in the Reserves or Under 19s. We are only talking about blokes who played Senior games here. Assumption's student records are so patchy that it is impossible to do a proper comparison between all players' details and all students' details. The most accurate list the most passionate of Assumption boys has been able to compile has 110 VFL/AFL players on it, and even that is conceded to have its problems given the impossibility of matching all records.

5. Apart from SC, MGS and XC there has been no complete checking done for any other school between VFL/AFL players' details and students' details, but there is no other school which is likely to come close to them in overall numbers either.

It is an open debate as to which school has produced the BEST players, but there is no doubt Scotch has produced the most. GC has two Brownlow medallists (Greeves and Lord), CGS has two medallists and three medals (because Judd has two). MGS (Cordner) and SC (Morris) have one each. XC has Watson (not sure if there is a second).

As for sports scholarships in schools, there is no shortage of nonsense that has been written about it over the years, all with a dearth of actual "facts". Obviously there is no doubt Haileybury did it, and did it to an extreme extent. Other schools (but not all schools) have done it to lesser extents. Scotch College does not have sports scholarships, but does have its indigenous program which results in some fairly handy players ending up at the school e.g. Rioli (who still makes surprise appearances in the boarders' dining hall for dinner every now and again). Geelong College does not have sports scholarships, and its last principal, Dr. Turner, led the campaign against them in the APS. I cannot say anything definitively about the other schools as I do not have firsthand knowledge of them.

The best football school in the country is Sacred Heart College Senior in Adelaide. It so far has produced 21 AFL players with more to come in the next years.

The best football school in the country is Sacred Heart College Senior in Adelaide. It so far has produced 21 AFL players with more to come in the next years.
But you would need to live in backwater Adelaide to go there !!!!

Q Whats the best thing to come out of Adelaide ?
A The road to Melbourne !
HahahahA

This debate is always interesting, particularly in the absence of actual facts. Here are some facts to solve the question of which school has produced the most VFL (now AFL) and AFL players since 1897:

1. Scotch College is the school which has produced more VFL (1897-1989) and AFL (1990-2013) players than any other school, with 163. The following two links show 161 of them. Since those articles were written, Ben Sinclair has debuted for Collingwood, and John William Matthew Davies has since been identified as an early Carlton player:

The only way to confirm how many VFL/AFL players a school has produced is to do what has been done here - match players' details with those held by the school. Names and dates of birth need to match. Anything less is speculation of the kind usually seen on Big Footy.

2. Melbourne Grammar School comes second. It currently has 142 players who have played VFL/AFL footy. Its list is completely reliable and has been compiled the proper way - by comparing players' names and DOBs with its student records.

3. Xavier College comes third, with 117 players. Its list has also been compiled the proper way.

4. The Scotch article above quotes Assumption College as saying it had 148 players. This has since been found to include blokes who only played in the Reserves or Under 19s. We are only talking about blokes who played Senior games here. Assumption's student records are so patchy that it is impossible to do a proper comparison between all players' details and all students' details. The most accurate list the most passionate of Assumption boys has been able to compile has 110 VFL/AFL players on it, and even that is conceded to have its problems given the impossibility of matching all records.

5. Apart from SC, MGS and XC there has been no complete checking done for any other school between VFL/AFL players' details and students' details, but there is no other school which is likely to come close to them in overall numbers either.

It is an open debate as to which school has produced the BEST players, but there is no doubt Scotch has produced the most. GC has two Brownlow medallists (Greeves and Lord), CGS has two medallists and three medals (because Judd has two). MGS (Cordner) and SC (Morris) have one each. XC has Watson (not sure if there is a second).

As for sports scholarships in schools, there is no shortage of nonsense that has been written about it over the years, all with a dearth of actual "facts". Obviously there is no doubt Haileybury did it, and did it to an extreme extent. Other schools (but not all schools) have done it to lesser extents. Scotch College does not have sports scholarships, but does have its indigenous program which results in some fairly handy players ending up at the school e.g. Rioli (who still makes surprise appearances in the boarders' dining hall for dinner every now and again). Geelong College does not have sports scholarships, and its last principal, Dr. Turner, led the campaign against them in the APS. I cannot say anything definitively about the other schools as I do not have firsthand knowledge of them.

Thats a great summary mate - well done.
I wonder which state schools would be in the mix for this? Some of the eastern suburb schools have a pretty high strike rate I think although have been out of melbourne footy for a while now.

I understand 163 (Scotch College, Melbourne) is a greater number than 21 (Sacred Heart College Senior, Adelaide)....

Without being a utensil measuring contest, which it kinda is any rate, you are comparing 90 or 110 odd years of VFL/VFA State league football whereby it was predominantly a Victorian only comp. Fair comparisons can only probably be made since the draft came in in which time you'd suggest a school like Scotch College would be dwarfed by many other schools both inside and outside Victoria.

You can compile whatever lists you want. To make it sound good. Often clubs draft players from a remote area and put them in schools therefore making it look a little more attractive on paper.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back