Best football school in Australia

Bishop

Club Legend
May 12, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Do we get to re-ignite the debate about whether APS or AGS is better when the APS team win by 100 point tomorrow?

Old ROCS Boy

Draftee
Aug 29, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
There's alot of debate that's for sure. Rostrevor College and Sacred Heart are SAs top footy colleges. Rostrevor has 12 School boy championships to Sacred Hearts 13 over the last 40 years and the 2 schools make up more than half the entire titles over the period with plenty of runner ups to mention from both. Rostrevor College was in 1991 the greatest football college in Australia and I dare say they were also in 1994. Along time ago yes but those players have only just retired and out of those years were plenty of talent. Every year they belt St Kevins College in the annual games. My opinion is regarding the population of SA that both Rostrevor and Sacred Heart produce more AFL players per capita than any school in Australia.

Old ROCS Boy

Draftee
Aug 29, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Over the last 20years Rostrevor College has produced over Plenty of AFL Players. 1 a year on average and for the population of SA thats not too bad! In its 92 year history it has produced over 150plus SANFL and AFL/VFL players. To name a few in recent times:
Luke Darcy, Jared Crouch, Tim Cook, Ben Hart, Tom Carr, Jack Hombsch, David Hynes, Tom Jonas, Daniel Schell, Jesse Stringer, Josh Simpson, Jesse Obrien etc etc
Names like Neil Kerley and Peter Marker both up their with the greatest SA Players.
Great football school.

billy27

Draftee
Sep 3, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Xavier College is up there and would be up there with the most amount of people drafted from any one school in the country
surely would have be Brighton Grammar at the moment, has gone back to back in the APS with a young squad this year, only around 8 top age players i believe

billy27

Draftee
Sep 3, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
surely would have be Brighton Grammar at the moment, has gone back to back in the APS with a young squad this year, only around 8 top age players i believe

Apr 13, 2006
The Bitter End
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
There's alot of debate that's for sure. Rostrevor College and Sacred Heart are SAs top footy colleges. Rostrevor has 12 School boy championships to Sacred Hearts 13 over the last 40 years and the 2 schools make up more than half the entire titles over the period with plenty of runner ups to mention from both. Rostrevor College was in 1991 the greatest football college in Australia and I dare say they were also in 1994. Along time ago yes but those players have only just retired and out of those years were plenty of talent. Every year they belt St Kevins College in the annual games. My opinion is regarding the population of SA that both Rostrevor and Sacred Heart produce more AFL players per capita than any school in Australia.

Hasn't PAC won 4 of the last 6?

Jun 19, 2011
MCG
AFL Club
Hawthorn
For the record, Trinity Grammar have one of, if not, the best record for producing AFL footballers in the country. Trinity may not be as successful as schools such as Xavier or Scotch, but part of that is because of the division which schools are put into. Trinity goes into the AGSV, which is considered, to an extent, a different standard than the APS, so it is very hard to tell which school would come out fair and square on top.
I don't imagine any school could claim to develop/produce AFL players. That is done by Auskick, junior an TAC clubs.

Gollo

Club Legend
Jun 4, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Real Madrid, Melb Stars
I don't imagine any school could claim to develop/produce AFL players. That is done by Auskick, junior an TAC clubs.
Not in the sense of 'creating' ready-made footballers, but statistically Trinity has one of the best records of having students drafted out of its footy program than any other school. Not saying they are the best, but definitely up there. I agree that talent development does come out of junior programs, but schools can have very strong AFL sectors.

Darren goladth

Draftee
Sep 13, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Hallam Secondary College looked unstoppable last time I watched them, SSV premier league is their bread and butter... great talent

stiegs5

Draftee
May 26, 2007
San Diego, California
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Assumption College
Just like the Head of the River

In 1987 Melbourne High would beat them all by 6 lengths continually - but the best crew was still an APS crew ;)

The footy team with an on ball brigade of Grgic, Lovell, Lovett, Knights & Phillips - combined with a raft of U19's/reserves players who never quite made it would have done similar.
I don't know much about rowing, actually I know nothing about rowing so thank god this is a footy thread. I do know a couple of things about school footy between Assumption College and Melbourne High School in 1987 and 1988 however, because I played in those games. Did you? In 1987 we played Melbourne High School on a weekday up in Kilmore, the final score was (as I shuffle through my yearbook to retrieve the actual score) ACK 31.20 to Melbourne High 4.5........Ouch! I remember it wasn't much of a game, as the scoreline indicated, you were smashed. So much for that. Of course the "on ball brigade" you refer to was more a product of 1988 and if you knew what you were talking about you'd know that. Actually you can add Steve Tingay, John Ahern and Steve Ryan to that list. We played at the Junction Oval in a Sun Shield, either quarter final or semi final, sorry can't remember as I wouldn't have a clue where my 88' yearbook is. I remember the game very well. The only member of the ACK team that year who played a senior game of AFL footy was Matty Dundas. I know that Chopper Lovell had already played senior footy by the time the game was played. And you know what happened Mr. Rower????? Yeah, that's right, we won!!!! On to our second Sun Shield in a row. 87' 88' ACK lost one game, a practice match to Hailebury in 88' by a few points in those two years combined. We'd beaten Hailebury easily twice the year before. I can't speak for games I didn't play in but 87/88 ACK teams were easily the best in the country at that time.

As for the rest I'd say Assumptions record pre 88' is beyond reproach, I'd challenge anyone to provide proof of a better record in that time. Post 88' (I'd actually include 89'/90' as it was our 4 SShields in a row period) I think it's hard to define with the influence on the draft and many other modern factors. If you're talking history, ACK by a long, long way in pretty much every category you want.

As an aside, I'll also point out that I turned down a scholarship to leave ACK and go to PEGS. I was never aware of any player who ever received a scholarship from the school to go there. The famous "on ball brigade" of 88' MHS were all scholarships, almost to a man. You wanna know why ACK are number 1 Mr. Rower? Because it's a team game. Anyone who played firsts footy for ACK, not just in my period, but in any period would know exactly what I'm talking about and all have to be chuckling that this is even an argument. Ero, Ero, Ero Rum...........

Apr 13, 2006
The Bitter End
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The Advertiser/Messenger Newspaper has ranked the top 8 schools in South Australia. It has come up with the following order based on the best all time 22 from each school (includes pre AFL era players)

1. Prince Alfred College
2. Sacred Heart College
3. Brighton High School
4. Rostrevor College
5. Henley High School
6. St Michaels College
7. St Peters College
8. Immanuel College

Sep 21, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwood
The Advertiser/Messenger Newspaper has ranked the top 8 schools in South Australia. It has come up with the following order based on the best all time 22 from each school (includes pre AFL era players)

1. Prince Alfred College
2. Sacred Heart College
3. Brighton High School
4. Rostrevor College
5. Henley High School
6. St Michaels College
7. St Peters College
8. Immanuel College

I looked at all eight teams and I thought PAC's team was the best. So many stars, and there were some great players who didn't even make the team, i.e. Peter Dalwood.

Worm4

Premiership Player
May 14, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
I don't know much about rowing, actually I know nothing about rowing so thank god this is a footy thread. I do know a couple of things about school footy between Assumption College and Melbourne High School in 1987 and 1988 however, because I played in those games. Did you? In 1987 we played Melbourne High School on a weekday up in Kilmore, the final score was (as I shuffle through my yearbook to retrieve the actual score) ACK 31.20 to Melbourne High 4.5........Ouch! I remember it wasn't much of a game, as the scoreline indicated, you were smashed. So much for that. Of course the "on ball brigade" you refer to was more a product of 1988 and if you knew what you were talking about you'd know that. Actually you can add Steve Tingay, John Ahern and Steve Ryan to that list. We played at the Junction Oval in a Sun Shield, either quarter final or semi final, sorry can't remember as I wouldn't have a clue where my 88' yearbook is. I remember the game very well. The only member of the ACK team that year who played a senior game of AFL footy was Matty Dundas. I know that Chopper Lovell had already played senior footy by the time the game was played. And you know what happened Mr. Rower????? Yeah, that's right, we won!!!! On to our second Sun Shield in a row. 87' 88' ACK lost one game, a practice match to Hailebury in 88' by a few points in those two years combined. We'd beaten Hailebury easily twice the year before. I can't speak for games I didn't play in but 87/88 ACK teams were easily the best in the country at that time.

As for the rest I'd say Assumptions record pre 88' is beyond reproach, I'd challenge anyone to provide proof of a better record in that time. Post 88' (I'd actually include 89'/90' as it was our 4 SShields in a row period) I think it's hard to define with the influence on the draft and many other modern factors. If you're talking history, ACK by a long, long way in pretty much every category you want.

As an aside, I'll also point out that I turned down a scholarship to leave ACK and go to PEGS. I was never aware of any player who ever received a scholarship from the school to go there. The famous "on ball brigade" of 88' MHS were all scholarships, almost to a man. You wanna know why ACK are number 1 Mr. Rower? Because it's a team game. Anyone who played firsts footy for ACK, not just in my period, but in any period would know exactly what I'm talking about and all have to be chuckling that this is even an argument. Ero, Ero, Ero Rum...........

Probably should put this into a bit of perspective. I played for Ivanhoe back in 87 and 88. Actually kept Paul Hudson goalless in the first match of the year v Camberwell but that's another story.
We had John Steven's, Mark Fraser, Mark Richardson in our side and when we came up against ACK, they pantsied us by around 10 goals If i recall .
Ivanhoe finished second that year behind ACK, Pegs and marcellin not far behind.
Btw, matty dundas was a star in the schoolboy system. Virtually untouchable

Last edited:

Espio

Team Captain
Jun 4, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton

Re Lovell, got owned that day by a year 10 guy who proceeded to blow up his knee. Great guy but another “what might have been”.
BTW if the author is who I think it is, today clubs would be climbing over themselves to give him a go. Great kick, fast as f&@$, perfect for the modern game.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jul 13, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Charlotte Hornets, Chelsea, Striker

1. Prince Alfred College
2. Sacred Heart College
3. Brighton High School
4. Rostrevor College
5. Henley High School
6. St Michaels College
7. St Peters College
8. Immanuel College

I couldnt quite sneak into my schools best 22 ;).

noosaboy

Club Legend
Jan 20, 2011
Noosa
AFL Club
Collingwood
Re Lovell, got owned that day by a year 10 guy who proceeded to blow up his knee. Great guy but another “what might have been”.
BTW if the author is who I think it is, today clubs would be climbing over themselves to give him a go. Great kick, fast as f&@$, perfect for the modern game.

Yes Espio I’m pretty sure the author is the match winner Chris Stiegler.Was just outstanding g at schoolboy level.Just had pace to burn.Got drafted to Melbourne where he played both under 19s and reserve grade before heading back to gisborne where he dominated.Got offered a lifeline at Footscray where his old man played but went to live in the states where he still is.The 88 game v Melbourne high was a ripper only a kick or so in it.

stiegs5

Draftee
May 26, 2007
San Diego, California
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Assumption College

Thanks for the kind words. Couldn't run out of sight on a dark night now and haven't touched a football in 20+ years. Great memories though.

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast

Pretty sure Melb High wasn't even the best state school in 1987. From memory Doncaster High knocked them over in the All High final that year.

Back