Best football school in Australia

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty sure Melb High wasn't even the best state school in 1987. From memory Doncaster High knocked them over in the All High final that year.
Gee Doncaster high must have had some talent smy cause Melbourne high were full of stars and blokes playing vfl seniors also. The likes of Matty knights, Andy Lovell and Stephen tingay all played against assumption that day.Actually can’t remember whether it was a herald shield semi final or just an ags premier v Melbourne high game.I do know assumption won the herald shield at the mcg that year which was the pinnacle for school footy in victoria

Gee Doncaster high must have had some talent smy cause Melbourne high were full of stars and blokes playing vfl seniors also. The likes of Matty knights, Andy Lovell and Stephen tingay all played against assumption that day.Actually can’t remember whether it was a herald shield semi final or just an ags premier v Melbourne high game.I do know assumption won the herald shield at the mcg that year which was the pinnacle for school footy in victoria
Just good public schoolboys playing for each other mate 😅😅 melb high we’re always imposters on the state school system. There was genuine dislike.
rang brother to confirm and not sure if their guns played but yeah Donny high knocked them over in the all high final.
two years previous Doncaster high made the GF of the herald cup vs st Joseph’s Geelong. Knocked over peninsula grammar that had Stu lowe in it. Was beaten by melb high in the all high final that year. Was the 2nd best footy school among the state schools quite easily for a period bn 85-87.

That’s bc they get enticed with wanky scholarships to private schools in yr 10/11.

You mean like say, Nat Fyfe & Buddy at boarding schools or Harry Taylor/Josh Kennedy/the Cripps or Cameron boys pathway through WAFL Colts footy into AFL footy.
Perhaps you can explain your very shallow claim IF indeed you can?

I know if the western jets have a 16 year old gun in their system that attends a regular public school, they tee up a year 11/12 scholarship to Essendon Keilor College & Maribyrnong college because of their sports programs.

You mean like say, Nat Fyfe & Buddy at boarding schools or Harry Taylor/Josh Kennedy/the Cripps or Cameron boys pathway through WAFL Colts footy into AFL footy.
Perhaps you can explain your very shallow claim IF indeed you can?

Considering 70% of players drafted come from Vic I would suggest throwing the odd gratuitous WA player into the mix as irrelevant. Those guys you mentioned have generally moved bc there is no competition to play in where they lived!
Common knowledge that Vic private schools roam local footy competitions to pick the bones out of them to entice boys to their "program"... As if a TAC program isn't enough. Its a complete wank of a system that only massages the ego of the school body. Someone asked who pays??; well all the other families do of course. Obviously the odd Cyril Rioli is thrown in the mix to ensure they look like they are doing their community service but in reality its all about recruitment of talent to provide glorified school spirit. Not critical of any specific school because they all do it.

Considering 70% of players drafted come from Vic I would suggest throwing the odd gratuitous WA player into the mix as irrelevant. Those guys you mentioned have generally moved bc there is no competition to play in where they lived!
Common knowledge that Vic private schools roam local footy competitions to pick the bones out of them to entice boys to their "program"... As if a TAC program isn't enough. Its a complete wank of a system that only massages the ego of the school body. Someone asked who pays??; well all the other families do of course. Obviously the odd Cyril Rioli is thrown in the mix to ensure they look like they are doing their community service but in reality its all about recruitment of talent to provide glorified school spirit. Not critical of any specific school because they all do it.

& who pays?

As for the likes of Fyfe or Laim Baker or the Cripps they live 'in the bush' & they board in the City. Their folks pay.
Given this thread is about the best football school, the WA school that produced 4 x AAs in 2019 plus a premiership player, gratuitous as it may be, got any 'entitled' school that can compete.

Gee I see the old St Pats Ballarat still charging along with regard to young blokes getting drafted.Look like getting 3 or 4 in the next draft.Sadly my old school ACK no where near as dominant as once was.Only reading today that the boarding part of the school has diminished which certainly wouldn’t help some pretty good scholarships being offered by many highly scholastic private schools with better facilities wouldn’t help either.And with Ray ‘Spocky’ Carroll no longer in charge,it’s a bit like Man U without Sir Alex Ferguson!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

100% it is - complete and utter rort massaging the egos of teachers / administration.
I can understand the kids loving it. Who doesn't like winning when they're 17. But it's pathetic that the teachers need to validate themselves in this way. I'd be embarrassed if I was coaching to win school championships off the back of stripping the talent pool from other schools.

I can understand the kids loving it. Who doesn't like winning when they're 17. But it's pathetic that the teachers need to validate themselves in this way. I'd be embarrassed if I was coaching to win school championships off the back of stripping the talent pool from other schools.
100% - you are basically holding up your credentials against the capacity of your school exec to put scholarships out there.

100% it is - complete and utter rort massaging the egos of teachers / administration.
I used to go to Carey in the early 2000s, when they started to realise that hey there might be some PR in this footy thing. They went big-time on the sports scholarships, nek minit, Matt Rowell and Noah Anderson.

Rookie me academy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back