Best footballer of the last three decades? One name:- Gary Ablett!

Remove this Banner Ad

Ugh, Catsace, I was referring to G Ablett Senior.
Now Junior might be a better player, he might win a Brownlow which Dad never did (he's already got a flag).

But his best (which is great) is still not in the same league as his old man.

Yet.

Yes, I mainly mean Gary Sr, as Jr probably as yet hasn't got the runs on the board for this decade such as a Voss, Hird or a Buckley. But, another couple of seasons, or even if he plays like he has since last year for the next few seasons, his output and impact may be as good as any to have played.

It is a mouth-watering prospect that 'yet' can be said of Gary Jr, he may have 8 more seasons of super footy left if he remains injury free. On Champion data, he averaged 91 in 2006, to 111 last year, to close to 150 this year. I know that's not the be all and end all, but what an improvement spiral that is! Maintaining this seasons output for the coming seasons would be Ian Stewart/Bob Skilton like in the pantheon of midfielders.

I cannot believe Franklin, Ablett Jnr and the likes are being thrown around as the best players of the last 30 years? Turn it up.

Carey, Ablett Snr, Matthews, Hird, Buckley, Jarman, Tuck, Lockett, Silvagni, Just to name a few, surely Franklin an Co have to play a few more games to be even considered?

For the record, Carey or Hird for me.

Impossible to name just one.

Best at getting non-supporters to watch games he was playing in: Ablett, Daicos.

Bloke you'd want kicking for goal to save your life: Dunstall or Plugger.

Bloke who I'd stand behind for protection when a fight broke out: Dermie or Lethal.

Bloke on a night when it's ankle deep in water out there who'll go and get the pill in any contest: Libba, Paul Kelly, Tony Shaw.

Can we go back 40 years? My father, who's a born and bred Tiger supporter, maintains Darrell Baldock is the best footballer he's seen pull on a boot.

For sheer ability and watchability Snr easily.

Carey, Matthews, Brereton, Peter Moore, Mario Bortolotto, Gary Frangalas, Dunstall, Lockett, Hird, Voss, Cousins, Austin McCrabb, Paul Kelly, Darren Jarman and one who I reckon almost beats the lot of them, 'The Diesel'.

He stays at Geelong, Geelong wins in '89 and '92, but he didn't and we didn't. No cheap possies across half back for Williams, if he got 30 to 40 touches your team got smacked.

Jnr is much the same along with a few other players, ie Judd, Hodge, if they get plenty of it, it means something.

I said to a few fellow Geelong supporters over a beer about 4 years ago that by the time Jnr finishes his career he'll leave a bigger legacy at the club than his dad, they all laughed at me but I still believe it, even more so over the last season and a half.

Just for the record, I'm 40 and can remember everyone worth remembering from the mid 70s onwards.

the arrogance of hawthorn supporters to have buddy as one of the best of the last 30 years is a joke, the bloke will be a freak but he is not even close to the top 500 players in the last 30 years , he has only played like 20 good games in his career, same with gary jr, he has only a season and a half of a great matches

You cannot name a best player when you have the likes of Ablett, Dunstall, Carey, Mathews, Voss, Hird, Buckley, Daicos, plugger and silvani and many more

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back