Toast Best footy photos ever

Remove this Banner Ad

From memory Peter Landy commentating said something like 'that was the best punch since so and so knocked out some other bloke at Festival Hall'

saints5_gallery__550x393.jpg

From memory Peter Landy commentating said something like 'that was the best punch since so and so knocked out some other bloke at Festival Hall'

Muir was a dangerous individual. Heaven knows what Dennis Collins was thinking when he verballed him that day at Moorabbin. The mad dog wasent finished there either. At games end a fan ( who clearly had a death wish ) ran up behind him ( you could run on the ground after the game in those days ) and said something that clearly displeased Robbie.He copped a left uppercut for his trouble that sent him flying to the ground. Different times indeed.

Muir was a dangerous individual. Heaven knows what Dennis Collins was thinking when he verballed him that day at Moorabbin. The mad dog wasent finished there either. At games end a fan ( who clearly had a death wish ) ran up behind him ( you could run on the ground after the game in those days ) and said something that clearly displeased Robbie.He copped a left uppercut for his trouble that sent him flying to the ground. Different times indeed.

You don't get the name Mad Dog, and wear it like a badge of honour, without earning it.

286616-tony-lockett.jpg

Tony Lockett prays that John Platten gets no votes in the final round of the 1987 Brownlow count and his equal share of the lead remains intact. (Back in the days when footballers weren't ashamed to wear their emotions on their sleeve on Brownlow night, or sport a bogan haircut and shabby tux)

Last edited:
You don't get the name Mad Dog, and wear it like a badge of honour, without earning it.
I'm not sure he actually liked it that much. There was a very believable story going around that during a country footy game ( post his VFL days ) an enraged Robbie jumped the fence to physically deal with some fool who was very stupidly taunting him with the Mad Dog title.

Not a photo, but here are ABBA performing Chiqitita with the blond one wearing her Carlton guernsey in Switzerland, introduced by Barry Humphreys as Dame Edna

The Blues gave a jumper toJohn McEnroe back in the early 80"s. Unlike most celebs he actually put it to good use. I recall a photo being taken of the mac wearing it as warm up apparel while on a practise court at Roland Garros. An Aussie tourist took the snap. I remember it but can't find it anywhere.

515068-4ce7c204-dff9-11e3-9ab7-20f6e47ce045.jpg

Polly Farmer v Big Nick, the two ruck giants of the 60s contesting a boundary throw in. Note the way Nicholls uses his experience and mongrel to gain the upper hand in this contest with a superbly timed forearm into Polly's throat

It's amazing to think that Big Nick and Chris Judd are the same height - 189cm. :eek:

286054-9ce611de-d0db-11e3-ae84-eacdfc097015.jpg

Peter Crimmins last moments in life.

You don’t play 176 games in the VFL without being an excellent footy player, and Peter Crimmins was that and then some. Kicking 231 goals for Hawthorn in the 1960s and 1970s, he was a pivotal part of the 1971 premiership-winning team. At the end of the 1974 season, while still captain, Crimmins received the devastating news that he had testicular cancer.

Treated for the deadly disease, Crimmins bravely put his hand up for the VFL Grand Final the following year but, concerned for his health, the club did not use him. His health continued to deteriorate.

When Hawthorn won the 1976 VFL Grand Final his teammates visited him with the premiership cup. A few days later he was dead. That premiership win has since been known as “Crimmo’s Cup”.
I remember Kennedy talking about this on the 100 Years documentary. "So he didn't play. And we lost".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Robbie was a brilliant footballer (I would best describe him as Nicky Winmar with an extra 15kg of muscle). As entertaining as he was, if only he could have been able to keep his cool he could have been star. As it was he took some of the most spectacular marks you could ever see and he could kick the ball a proverbial mile.

I remember Kennedy talking about this on the 100 Years documentary. "So he didn't play. And we lost".

"I sort of thought he wasn't fit. Well I knew he wasn't match fit... but... I just had a hunch that his presence on the field might do something for the team.

"But I didn't have the courage to follow my hunch through.

"So he didn't play.

"And we lost."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back