Analysis Best forward line heading into 2019 Season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Taken from the main board, I wanted to really talk about where our forward line sits in particular and not dwell on the other teams.

I think personally our forwardline has now taken a few steps back with an aging Eddie and Gov now gone. Geez it was blue chip elite at its peak in 2017 Prelim. I genuinely believe a few teams have taken several steps forward in improving their forwardline to be better than ours.

Adelaide

HF: Lynch Walker Gallucci
FF: Betts Jenkins McAdam

Brisbane

HF: Rayner Hipwood Taylor
FF: McInerney McStay Cameron

Carlton

HF: Fisher Curnow Petrevski-Seton
FF: Fasolo McKay McGovern

Collingwood

HF: Thomas Mihocek Hoskin-Elliott
FF: DeGoey Cox Stephenson

Essendon

HF: Fantasia McKernan Smith
FF: Stringer Daniher McDonald-Tipungwuti

Fremantle

HF: Walters Hogan Colyer
FF: Matera Taberner Lobb

Geelong

HF: Dahlhaus Ratugolea Menegola
FF: Parfitt Hawkins Cockatoo

Gold Coast

HF: Ainsworth Day Corbett
FF: Sexton Wright Young

Greater Western Sydney

HF: Deledio Cameron Greene
FF: Giles-Langdon Patton Himmelberg

Hawthorn

HF: Burgoyne Gunston Wingard
FF: Breust Roughead Puopolo

Melbourne

HF: Petracca T.McDonald Melksham
FF: Hannan Weideman Neal-Bullen

North Melbourne

HF: Anderson Wood Atley
FF: Ziebell Brown Simpkin

Port Adelaide

HF: R Gray Marshall Boak
FF: Motlop Dixon Lycett

Richmond

HF: Caddy Riewoldt Edwards
FF: Rioli Lynch Butler

St Kilda

HF: Billings Bruce Kent
FF: Gresham McCartin Membrey

Sydney

HF: Hayward Reid Papley
FF: Ronke Franklin McCartin

West Coast

HF: Cripps Darling Rioli
FF: Ryan Kennedy Vardy

Western Bulldogs

HF: Dickson Boyd McLean
FF: Gowers Schache Lloyd

Patton still out with a knee for a while. May find it tough to get back.

Probably will be de Boer or Reid or Daniels or Lloyd or someone like that.

Greater Western Sydney

HF: Deledio - Cameron - Greene
FF: Langdon - Himmelberg - de Boer

The other thing is names on paper doesn't mean much.

Scarily, how well Hart can coach/structute up will dictate how well we do. Considering right now he's a failed defensive coach, that is a big worry.

I'm a BIG believer that it is never just about the top 6 forwards in a team. The reason our forward line was so potent in 2016/2017 is because we had about 10-12 blokes rotating through our forward line / pushing forward from the midfield - who kicked goals every week.

You got to look at the total package.

Tall Forwards: Walker, Jenkins, Himmelberg
Med Forwards: Lynch, Fogarty, McAdam,
Small Forwards: Betts, Stengle, Murphy,
Mid/Fwd rotating: Gallucci, Knight, Atkins, Greenwood, Douglas

We are definitely no longer the undisputed best FWD line in the league, but I still very confident we would be in the top few.

Too tall.

Lynch, Walker, Galluci
Betts, Jenkins, McAdam

Hopefully Rankine gets a spot come end of the draft.
Depends. We could play the Fog as our tall rotation to cover our other talls. Would mean he would be 60/40 forward/defence.

Horses for courses though, because if the opposition are small or the weather is poor, then we are better off going small.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Depends. We could play the Fog as our tall rotation to cover our other talls. Would mean he would be 60/40 forward/defence.

Horses for courses though, because if the opposition are small or the weather is poor, then we are better off going small.
If the crows didn’t have Tex, Jenkins and Lynch as top tier experienced players Darcy would be in the team - he’s that talented. But by adding another player who’s only AFL level position as of right now is key forward.. it’s too tall, no matter if he plays half forward and half back.
I could be wrong, we may prefer him to be able to play Kelly’s position with the option to pinch hit in the midfield and forward line (cover as you’ve pointed out).
But we know the crows rather predictability and continuity meaning the team they pick as best 22 is expected to play 22+ games with not that many team selections being game specific (Fog or no Fog for example).

If the crows didn’t have Tex, Jenkins and Lynch as top tier experienced players Darcy would be in the team - he’s that talented. But by adding another player who’s only AFL level position as of right now is key forward.. it’s too tall, no matter if he plays half forward and half back.
I could be wrong, we may prefer him to be able to play Kelly’s position with the option to pinch hit in the midfield and forward line (cover as you’ve pointed out).
But we know the crows rather predictability and continuity meaning the team they pick as best 22 is expected to play 22+ games with not that many team selections being game specific (Fog or no Fog for example).
Think you have missed my point.

Only play 2 of Tex, JJ or Fog forward at a time.

Only play 2 of Talia, Keath or Fog back at a time.

Given JJ also covers sauce in ruck, Fog spends half time up forward, a third of the time in defence & a sixth of the time resting on the bench.

This would allow us to use Milera more as part of the midfield rotations, as would only need to cover Doedee & the smalls with the defensive rotations.

I would have Darcey Fogarty training with the defensive group this summer. Allow him to learn what it takes to be a key defender, develop an understanding what key forward don’t like and develop movement patterns and then chuck him forward when Walker is ready to retire.

Can not have Tex, Jenkins, Lynch and Fogarty in the same team. Too tall and not mobile enough.

If we can't find a place in the forward line for Fog with Jenkins in it, then we should have traded Jenkins.

Fog and Jenkins aren't competing for the same spot (seeing Jenkins covers a ruck rotation), so no trading Jenkins wouldn't have changed this situation at all.

Change it to Tom Lynch, and you have a very good point.

Fog and Jenkins aren't competing for the same spot (seeing Jenkins covers a ruck rotation), so no trading Jenkins wouldn't have changed this situation at all.

Change it to Tom Lynch, and you have a very good point.

Considering Jenkin's efficacy in ruck, we could probably just let anyone else do it.

Our best big forward the last few years?

Massive overstatement.

Our best forward this year, who had a handful of decent games and a fair few pretty ordinary ones. If we're holding an elite talent out of our line up to get him games, then he's the one that should give way.

But I'm only responding to the suggestions advanced in the thread. I don't buy that we can't play Fog, and I think the suggestion that we can't is just a preemptive excuse for what will be a pretty spectacular failing if we act it out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back