Best Full Back Ever

Who is best full back in history of the league ?

• Jack Regan

• Fred Goldsmith

• Kelvin Moore

• Chris Langford

• Geoff Southby

• Matthew Scarlett

• David Dench

• Stephen Silvagni

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

You're actually serious?
This is immensely ironic considering you're comparing Lake to ATG FBs. The mock surprise isn't necessary, but whatever.

Southby a clear, clear rung or two below.
Why? You say this, and you are somehow surprised or expect me to tow the line/agree with you in regards to Southby. Yet you don't explain the reasoning behind it. I would certainly like to know why you place him a "rung or two below".

Lake wasn't as good as Scarlett.

Nor is Rance.

IMO it's between Scarlo and SOS.

Both Lake & Rance have Scarlett covered for talent....Both far better in the air & no need to scrag their opponents either.

Ablett gets to 9 AA’s this year. It’s laughable that anyone thinks Rance will get to that let alone go past it

Not really germane to the thread topic though, is it?

If Ablett gets an AA nod this year, then that pretty well proves what a joke the award is...Much like Enright's last 3 did.

Scarlett was an average full-back, at best....Made to look good in a champion team & terrific defence.

Alex Rance is to the FB position as Wayne Carey was to CHFs in the 90s. He has transcended what is expected of a FB, able to hold not only his opponent, but seemingly the entire forward line at times.

The real question is who is second best.
Please, they tell me drugs are everywhere, I didn't realize one person could be taking so much. Rating Rance to Carey on any level is an insult to peoples intelligence

Not really germane to the thread topic though, is it?

If Ablett gets an AA nod this year, then that pretty well proves what a joke the award is...Much like Enright's last 3 did.

Scarlett was an average full-back, at best....Made to look good in a champion team & terrific defence.

Ablett is a lock this year, everyone knows it. If you don’t agree you’re not watching the Cats play.

Stephen 'scragger' Silvagni has got to be one of the most overrated players in the history of the game.

Scarlett scraggiest of all time

SOS played through the greatest era of full backs in Lockett, Dunstall, Ablett and Modra and would regularly smash them. Had them for speed, length and could also hold the space of the ball drop.

Also went forward and kicked 200 goals despite being a terrible set shot kick (including a 10 goal bag).

Scarlett’s second half of his career was helped by zoning off and playing as a third tall.

SOS is king

Scarlett’s also really weird

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Verdun Howell.
I was just pointing out how easily it is to forget players from bygone eras.

Always thought Verdun was more a back-pocket, back flanker come ruck-rover myself.

Back in the day, players of all positions could win it....Then it became a ruckman's medal for a while.....Nowadays it's the exclusive domain of the midfielder.

Didn’t read the middle pages of this thread, so apologies if this ground has been covered.

There were two pre-eminent full backs during the world war eras. Richmond’s Vic Thorp and later Collingwood’s Jack Regan were both for many years the best full back in the game. I would suggest that relative to their era these are the best two full backs in the history of the game. Loads of old timers when I was growing up considered Regan clearly the best full back in history, but they may not have seen so much of Thorp who had been finished about 5 years when Regan started in 1930. I am not sure there has been anyone comparable since, relative to their own era.

With all due respect Silvagni being named FB in the team of the 20th century looks badly wrong to me. When you consider players like Pert and Langford it is arguable whether Silvagni is even the best FB of his era. When you consider Southby it is arguable Silvagni is not the best FB Carlton has had in the period.

Thorp on all accounts I have found was considered the best Full Back in the VFL for the vast majority of his career, which spanned 1910-1925, and still a great player until the end. He retired a VFL games record holder with 263 matches and that stood for ten more years.

Dick Reynolds wrote during his time Regan was clearly the best full back he ever saw play. It is doubtful Reynolds ever saw Thorp with his own eyes as Reynolds was 10 years old when Thorp retired. Thorp is one of only six Richmond immortals, the others being Hafey(coach) Bartlett, Bourke, Hart and Dyer. Thorp was in the 1950’s recognised by a football historian as the champion player of the colony for 1916(only four clubs competed in the VFL) and 1919. This was not an official award but does show the sort of standing he had within the game.

Anyone overlooking these two players in any discussion about the best full back in history is committing a travesty.

Last edited:
Rance is a glaring omission. Lots of respected people in the industry consider him the GOAT.

Rance is a glaring omission. Lots of respected people in the industry consider him the GOAT.
Not even the best of the last 20 years.

Lol he'll end up on at least 9 All Australians which means he was the best full back for 9 years in a row.He's a class above and your're showing bias because he fancy.
Quoted for posterity.

Back