pickettline

Team Captain
Feb 3, 2002
Traralgon Vic Australia
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
new york yankees
i was thinking the other day about the best game i ever witnessed by a player for the roos. i have been a roos supporter all my life(i'm 48) and i have two that stand out,both at arden st.i cant remember what years but the two were:sam kekovich vs south melbourne when he had kicked eight or nine goals by half time and finished with ten goals and concussion by the end of the game and the other was malcolm blight vs st. kilda when he kicked ten and marked everything that came his way at full forward. carey and longmire have scored more goals in a game but those two i mentioned will stay with me forever.
what's yours?

roos rule in 2002

byron is best

It's funny how some games stick in your mind. I remember a game against Collingwood in '90 or '91. I went with my brother and Dad who are both Collingwood. We won by a small margin and I'll never forget watching Darren Crocker play across half back and absolutely cleaning everything up. He virtually played his own game and just had a pearler of a day reading the play.

Wayne Carey vs. Geelong, 1994 preliminary final, kicked 6 goals, set up another 6, took 14-15 marks, had 3 opponents, had a torn calf muscle, and would have got us into the GF if it wasn't for Abletts arsey mark.

Speaking of Ablett, I just had a thought. With all this talk about drugs in the AFL and with Ablett in the news recently with all of his drug controversies, is it too much to assume Ablett would have been taking drugs back in 1994 when this game was played?
Maybe North could protest to the AFL that Geelong was drug assisted in this match and the result should be changed to a North Melbourne victory.
We could then play West Coast in a retrospective Grand Final next weekend to see who really would have won the 94 flag.

Result = flag #5 to the rooboys.

Or am I just being hopeful?

Apart from the 100 or so WCarey or M Blight exhibitions that I have witnessed I would have to say G Archer rd5 1999 v St Kilda in Sydney.
The Roos went into the game at 1-3. At half time we were about 25 points down, the ground was a quagmire and our season was quickly going down the ****ter. Enter Glenn Archer. In the ensuing half he constantly put his body on the line for the cause resulting in three goals himself and numerous assists. He had the whole St Kilda team looking over their shoulders and literally ****ting themselves whenever he was within a 20 metere radius.
The end result: North up by 1 point, starting a ten (correct me if I am wrong) match unbeaten run. And of course a Premiership.
Not a 40 possie, 20 grab classic but one of the most inspirational games i have seen by an individual.

One of the elimination finals at Waverley.

Must of been in the 80's......

The game was against Carlton and we were getting dacked on at half time.

The second half was dominated by Phil and Jimmy and we definately saw the Krakouer magic that day.

Nothing better than a win from behind against Carlton.

Originally posted by Cororoo

The second half was dominated by Phil and Jimmy and we definately saw the Krakouer magic that day.

Was at that game. Schimma and Moose ran themselves into the ground. Went back to the club a few hours after the game and ran into Moose. He was already so pissed that I had to tell him how to get back to the main group. lol

However, this year's big win over Essendon will be the one. ;)

94 I think, my first Vic Park experience, and we gave them a bath. Schwatta went bananas and McCadam kicked stacks. The racial abuse he was getting was making me sick. One of the best and worst days of my footy life. Bunch of ugly, fat, toothless bastards, abusing this bloke who was making pie players look like idiots.

Did however provide me with the best comment I had ever heard at the footy.

This Collingwood bloke was abusing McCadam all day and finally had enough of the black **** comments, and questioned his sexuality.

"McCadam's a NTTAWWT, a NTTAWWT I tell ya"

My father: " I agree mate...... We just watched him f*** 20 Collingwood players up the backside!!"

Stupid bastard went bright red and did not say another word.

Classic

Originally posted by Dingster

Was at that game. Schimma and Moose ran themselves into the ground. . ;)

Found it in the North Story page 228-229.

"The match which would turn out to be one of the most gallant ever by a North Melbourne side was played at VFL Park in front of 49126. Carlton were the opponents and Cameron and Robinson were in charge of the umpiring.

The 1st Q was relatively even , but by half time Carlton had gone to a 31 pt margin and appeared to have the game in thier keeping.

The Roos however , with Kennedy endeavoring to draw the very best out of his players , and Schimma , taken from the half back line and thrown on to the ball, playing his heat out had other ideas.

Thet slammed on 6.4 to the Blues 4.0 in the third term to steady things down, and give a fighting change at the 3/4 break.

NORTH MELBOURNE LEFT CARLTON STANDING as thier players ,comboning superbly stormed home to a truly tough and crushingly corageous victory.The win was testamony to the Kangaroos total dedication, and a photograph of a jubilant John Kennedy welcoming into the rooms a totally exhausted Wayne Schimmelbusch at the conclusion of the match was accorded prime place in the rooms at Fogarty St"

NM 2.3 6.3 12.5 20.6 (126)
Car 3.6 10.10 14.10 16.11 (107)

Gaols McCann 4 Glendenning 3 Demitriou Holt Schimma 2 Arceri , Dwyer Jonas P Krakouer Larkin McDonald Steele.

Roos vs Hawks in '94 at the MCG. The break of a 10 year drought when we just couldn't beat them.

The '96 Preliminary Final stands out because at the final siren, there was the realisation that I would see something that I thought I'd never see....the Roos in a Grand Final.

For a football exhibition, Wayne Carey vs Melbourne in '96.

For annihilating an opponent against the odds, North Melbourne vs Carlton at Arden Street in '83....I think we had three key players withdraw just before the match and we ended up winning by 19 goals.

Best game I've seen live, North V Essendon, Rd 12 1996.
Drove 5 hours with a car load of mates, it rained all the way down and all day at the game, but it was the best display of football, from both sides, in those conditions I've watched. Never more than 3 goals between the teams for most of the game, and Glenn Archer was the difference early in the last quarter, swung into attack and kicked 2 goals at the start of the qtr to give us a break on the Bombers.
Plus a vintage Carey performance, remember he and Archer both took a couple of trademark running with the flight of the ball marks.

Hmm it's a toughie

I loved that 1994 Qualifying Final when we won in overtime against Hawthorn, was just an amazing game and Carey was sensational

The 96 preliminary was also good, like Shinners said, the feeling that I would finally see North in a grand final was amazing

The best game I have seen by a North player would have to be Carey on 3 occasions

96 vs Melbourne: He kicked 11 and is probably the best game I've ever seen anyone play
94 vs Geelong: That final and he destroyed them on one leg. Will never forget Mick on one knee :( (seeing I have seen it 10,000 fricken times doesn't help much either :mad: )
99 vs Essendon: He kicked 10 and kicked one of the best goals I have ever seen

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by NorthBhoy
94 I think, my first Vic Park experience, and we gave them a bath. Schwatta went bananas and McCadam kicked stacks. The racial abuse he was getting was making me sick. One of the best and worst days of my footy life. Bunch of ugly, fat, toothless bastards, abusing this bloke who was making pie players look like idiots.

Did however provide me with the best comment I had ever heard at the footy.

This Collingwood bloke was abusing McCadam all day and finally had enough of the black **** comments, and questioned his sexuality.

"McCadam's a NTTAWWT, a NTTAWWT I tell ya"

My father: " I agree mate...... We just watched him f*** 20 Collingwood players up the backside!!"

Stupid bastard went bright red and did not say another word.

Classic

Great call! Nothing worse than shutting up bigots, especially on their own home turf!

I remember that game. They were top and we were second (or vice versa) and we towelled them. I remember being VEEERY excited at that point in the season!

longmire vs melbourne (first north game i went too :) )
careys 10 against essendon
carey in the extra time period againt hawthorn in 94
freeborns 2nd quarter in 96 GF
carey against port 99 qualifying final.
allison who kicked 7 against geelong in a final in 96 i think
and also the game hippie mentioned, even though my dads car was smashed by some drunk on the way home :mad:

1975 Grand Final...
I can't remember much about the game(I was 11 at the time) but I was there when North won it's first flag.

Yes, that would have to be mine.....Briedis kicking four goals in the last to secure Norths first flag is one of my all-time favourite moments from watching North.

Geez, we should watch footy together! That was in 1985 and was the game that announced the arrival of the Krakouer brothers. We had no right to win that game, but what a last quarter!!

I think it was the 1977 Preliminary Final and Barry Cable had around 40 touches (mostly handpasses from memory) and absolutely wiped Hawthorn off the field. Brilliant game from one of our greatest ever rovers.

That 1985 season I think is second only to 1993 as my favourite ever footy season as a Roos fan.

Three games from that year stand out

vs Carlton at Princes Park: we were something like 29 points down at the 30 minute mark of the last quarter and plenty of typically modest Blues fans were leading the celebrations. We then kicked a series of goals (led by Glendenning at FF) to amazingly get within 5 points with 36 mins on the clock. David Dwyer then took a mark and tumbled a punt through to give us the win by 1 point. This was John Kennedy's first win as coach and I was that excited I ran straight down the race to be part of the celebrations in the rooms (which were electric).

vs Melbourne (I think the following week at the MCG). Similar scenario in that we kicked 2 late goals in time on, the last by Schimma almost on the siren to win by a similar margin.

vs Carlton in the elimination final which you've already spoken about. Schimma inspirational again (D Crocker played as a 16yo).

These were exciting times if you were a young kid.

The King's 1994 finals against Hawthorn and Geelong (especially given his torn calf) were the greatest individual performances I've ever seen.

Stevo's effort in the 1999 GF (playing with a cracked heel) was the most courageous followed closely by his effort in backing back into a pack AFTER he had done his knee in Perth last year! Amazing.

the 85 final being mentioned was the krakouer brothers 4th year at the club! not their arrival!
I was at that game schimma played the most courageous game i've ever seen, carey included, we were 37 points down in the third and the arrogant carlton supporters were laughing at us.
in all my years of going to the footy with my dad it was the only game i saw him jumping out of his seat yelling the roo boys home!

the 93 game against essendon was a beauty too when wayne took over in the last quarter and it put us on top of the ladder.

John Longmire in the early nineties kicked 14 against Melbourne, the Horse was unstopable that day.

Lincoln St. Looneys

Uh yeah, those games mentioned sure bring a lasting memory...does anyone recall Ross Glendinning at Moorabin? In the early 80's, Rosco went to FF after copping a hammering at CHB at the hands of Max Crow, he turned it ON and booted 4 or 5
in the second half in the glue pot that won us the game. Not sure if Jimmy Krakouer got reported for the first time at the same game, but it was a ripper finish, Drew Muppet wet his pants in the commentary box as the game went down to the wire. I'm sure we WON by about 9pts. I recall this game so vividly in the outta as I feared my own life as a teenager, getting out of the ground in an almighty hurry with a crowd brawl spiraling outta control with those savage StK drunks on the blitz.

I also recall Blighty play a blinder at Arden Street vs Richmond, he was taking specky's everywhere, there are many others that have already been mentioned but I still rate the Pagan years as the most memorable wins.

95 final against west coast, 36 points down early in the thrid quarter and than Corey McKernern went Ballistic and I recall kicked 4 goals.

Capped of with Martin Pikes run form the back pockett to half foward when we were less than a goal up in time on to pinpoint a pass to someone who I just can't quite remember.

Originally posted by choppy
95 final against west coast, 36 points down early in the thrid quarter and than Corey McKernern went Ballistic and I recall kicked 4 goals.

Capped of with Martin Pikes run form the back pockett to half foward when we were less than a goal up in time on to pinpoint a pass to someone who I just can't quite remember.

Wasn't that the '97 finals series? And the recipient of the pass from Pike was Stuart Anderson.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back