Jascave

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 17, 2005
Sandringham
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Hampton Rovers
What was the best of of rugby union you have seen at international level-and yes, it does include the Barbarians.

For me four games stand out.

The 1973 Barbarians v the All Blacks at Cardiff Arms Park in Wales (which has 'that try' scored by Gareth Edwards and the famous commentary by Cliff Morgan).

The 1987 World Cup semi final between Australia and France.

The 1991 World Cup quarter final between Ireland and Australia at Lansdowne Road.

And the 2000 Bledisloe Cup game at Stadium Australia, Australia v NZ.

2000 Bledisloe in Sydney is the best I've seen closely followed by France vs NZ in the 1999 World Cup.

Any big upset is always great to watch as they are rare in rugby. Most recently: Tonga vs France 2011 World Cup.

The 2000 Bledisloe is far and away the best game of rugby I've ever watched. Sucks that the Wallibies lost. But I reckon the one in Sydney the year before was a pretty special victory. Ruined the All Blacks WC campaign and was a huge boost for us, a big part of our 1999 WC triumph. I reckon the 2001 Bledisloe is up there aswell with Toutai getting the try in Eales last game. Thinking about it, the Bledisloe matches of that era were all pretty special.

In recent times, I reckon you can't go past the Wallabies v SA 2010 game at Bloemfontein. Probably one of best attacking displays from both team, Beales after the siren kick was golden and well deserved after he played one of the best games of rugby. I think the context of it all made it a pretty memorable game, the Wallabies having never won in Bloem for 40+ years, South Africa coming back after the Wallabies torched them in the first 30 minutes only for the Wallabies to win in at the death and having Chisholm, Maafu & McCalman in the starting forward pack.

In recent times, I reckon you can't go past the Wallabies v SA 2010 game at Bloemfontein.

I'd forgotten about that. Good call. What an attacking backline we had in that game...Genia Cooper Mitchell Giteau AAC O'Connor Beale! Hard to believe a year later we went into a world cup semi final with a centre pairing of McCabe and Faingaa.

Another great match from 2010 was South Africa vs NZ in Soweto, with the kiwis scoring two late tries to win it and silence the 90k crowd.

I also thought the first 2 tests in the 2009 Lions tour to South Africa were great, great matches.

I'd forgotten about that. Good call. What an attacking backline we had in that game...Genia Cooper Mitchell Giteau AAC O'Connor Beale! Hard to believe a year later we went into a world cup semi final with a centre pairing of McCabe and Faingaa.

Another great match from 2010 was South Africa vs NZ in Soweto, with the kiwis scoring two late tries to win it and silence the 90k crowd.

I also thought the first 2 tests in the 2009 Lions tour to South Africa were great, great matches.

Many of those are up there for me. That Lions series was brilliant watching.

2000 Bledisloe obviously.

The World Cup Final from 2003 was a great game.

For a game we won, the final Lions test from 2001 was excellent.

Not too many recently - the way the breakdown has developed with the new rules means the games are less attractive to me.

Not too many recently - the way the breakdown has developed with the new rules means the games are less attractive to me.

What new rules are you referring to?

I thought the rugby around 2007-2009 wasn't very good (with the major exception of the 09 Lions tour). The interpretation of the breakdown at the time favoured the defensive team so the most effective way to play was to kick and chase and then win penalties with defence - not exactly great to watch. In 2010 they fixed this by emphasising the tackler having to roll away and release the ball carrier before trying to compete for the ball. Since then teams have looked to use the ball more and I think the rugby's been pretty good in general play - it's just that the wallabies haven't been playing with much style. Rather than the breakdown, what's probably held back rugby as a spectacle in the last 2 or 3 years has been the scrum. In many games it's become a complete mess with too many resets and penalties. 10 years ago if you watch replays it would just come together so much quicker and cleaner. There's going to be some changes at the end of the year which could improve this.

But I'd say this year's super rugby season has been one of the best. Plenty of good games every week and pretty even. The thing about rugby is that at its best it can be really intense, sometimes spectacular and also really interesting because there are so many different ways to play and so many different contests within the contest. But it's also complex and technical so if you get a game with a lot of errors or cynical play it can be pretty dire. And then there are the sort of tight, tactical games that rugby fans find compelling, but that more casual sports fans, who don't understand or appreciate the nuances of the game, just find boring. I'd say maybe a third of games are exciting, another third are good in an acquired taste kind of way, and a third are average to rubbish.

I agree, I'm always a bit mystified by people who complain about the current state of rugby. I hated rugby for the bulk of the last decade as much as anyone, but I thought the recent changes that have been implemented have worked wonderfully to bring balance back to the game.

Anyone who still thinks the game is still too defensive probably should watch rugby league instead.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone who still thinks the game is still too defensive probably should watch rugby league instead.

Ironically rugby league has become much more dominated by defence - particularly at the tackle/wrestle, and conservative play (obsession with set completion) than it was 5+ years ago.

I think these things tend to go in cycles in all football codes depending on what the dominant team at the time is doing. In rugby Australia dominated in the late 90's/early 00's through defence and holding possession for long periods of time, England then briefly took over through a power game, then NZ with a more explosive attacking game, then South Africa through defence plus kick and chase, back to NZ with breakdown dominance plus speed from turnovers. Who knows what will be next.

2007 World Cup, Fiji v Wales.. simply amazing.

I remember this game clearly, I remember shouting at the TV for Fiji to get that last try, and went ecstatic when they did :D

Alright here's the actual answer ...

Madagascar 57 - Namibia 54 in 2012. Watch this video it's awesome:

The Madagascar haka is way better than New Zealands.

That is one awesome vid, the passion from the crowd when they score the winning try is unbelievable.

Played and watched a lot of rugby in my time.

This is the best game I've seen.

Blanco, Sella, Camberabero and Lagisquet.

The French payed rugby the way it should be played, no rules or set plays, just play what's in front of you and improvise

No one did it better than the French.

The third test between the All Blacks and Boks at Eden Park in 1981 was dramatic both on and off the field. I went to the first test in Chch. Can still hear the sound of Jogie Jansen's jaw punching Cowboy Shaw's fist:p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back