Best Game You've Seen Live as a Neutral Observer?

Remove this Banner Ad

2008 Richmond Brisbane at Etihad. John brown kicks 5 including a belter on the run from 50 but Joel Bowden swings forward and kicks 3 in the last including the winner with what must have been less than 10 seconds left. Atmosphere was so electric i ended up getting into the game and was off my feet with the goal

The thread is about memorable games as a neutral observer in which a neutral observer said Richmond beating Hawthorn was in which I would agree all of Richmond's wins over Hawthorn during 2012, 2013 and 2015 were I don't see why it is so hard to admit people remember those games as good games besides having the persecution complex and thinking the only reason people said so was because Hawthorn lost
The post that kicked off your ongoing attempts at justifying your original quip about bitter Hawk minnows was by a Geelong fan... the clue lies within this fact.

Went to a Collingwood-Bulldogs Friday night game at Docklands when both were up and about in 2009 I think it was, Collingwood got the jump and looked in control most of the night before the Dogs ran riot in the last and almost pinched it but fell one point short. Crowd was packed to the roof and was a great atmosphere with a game to match, I remember Josh Fraser kicking a goal on the run from outside 50 after a bit of team play originating in the back pocket to rival the kind of thing you'd see Geelong do so well in that era that brought the roof down. Lake absolutely obliterated Jack Anthony (think that was during his good year) and Higgins up forward looked every bit a gun kicking them from everywhere.

The Dogs-Essendon game in 2014 was possibly even better, free flowing exciting end-to-end footy with Jake Carlisle in beast mode (after that day honestly thought he had the potential to be Carey-like) at one end and Stringer coming of age at the other. Dogs young side were just breaking through with Bontempelli, Liberatore and the aforementioned Stringer making them a terrific team to watch. Game had a bit of hype about it beforehand so crowd was strong and meant a lot to both sides. Essendon got over the line in the end thanks to the godlike performance by Carlisle. Guess it is interesting to consider the similar sort of trajectories of the two stars of the day since!

Ive been to SO many neutral games as an Eagles fan heading over to Melb we'd stay and go to 3 or 4 games.

95 ANZAC DAY draw was no1. Still remember getting in. Sitting at top of old Ponsford stand and they showed thousands of people locked out. My dad and i were feeling very lucky but then we had to sit in the walkway up the top nearly behind the big screen.

Being from Adelaide been to footy park for years. Some crazy showdowns and big games. The Tarrant goal after the siren v crows was crazy.

North beating port in rd1 after the carey stuff was amazing.

Seeing Plugger kick 10 v Adel in 91 and crack his tonne.

Seeing Lloyd kick 13 v Syd. Lloyd 100 v nm in 2000.
Gehrig 100 in 04 prelim. Cracking game.
Modra many times taking hangers and kicking bags.
YABLETT going mental in 1993 v Adel, Melb but cats losing.

Sooo many great games.

First ever game in Melb was carl v haw @ Princes park rd2 92... Silvagni kicked 8. Can still remember the great atmosphere and peanut man and scores from around the grounds updated on the big wooden scoreboard with the letters you had to check in the footy record.

Gold Coast beating Port at footy park was hilarious

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app
******* awesome the games you went to. I saw a lot of them on tv, the rest highlights or read up about. Great, great list of games.

Wasnt a great game or memorable but went to a Rich v Melb game in late 1993 and Melbourne flogged Richmond. Andy Lovell and Allen Jakovich both kicked 8 goals... the one thing I remember is Jeff Hogg getting the ball like 50m out and having a shot.. He kicked it beautifully and from where we were sitting the ball was sailing straight through the middle... this bloke stood up "YOU ******* RIPPER HOGGY!!! YEEEaaahhh!!@" then a Melbourne defender marked it like 30m out the fan totally misread the flight of the ball..

*Probably didnt make any sense what I said just then but its a weird little memory i have of that game from 25 years ago

I remember this game to. * as a kid I was listening to this game on the transistor.

Lucky campaigner.

The thread is about memorable games as a neutral observer in which a neutral observer said Richmond beating Hawthorn was in which I would agree all of Richmond's wins over Hawthorn during 2012, 2013 and 2015 were I don't see why it is so hard to admit people remember those games as good games besides having the persecution complex and thinking the only reason people said so was because Hawthorn lost
I think they were good games as they were upsets. And if they're memorable to you, so what. The lowlife should get over it.

dick measuring contest again.

I've been to two neutral games in my life. Coll v WCE in 2012 which Collingwood won by 3 points, and Coll v WB in 2016 which Collingwood lost by 3 points. Both games were absolute belters from memory so it's a draw for first and last.
That Pies/Dogs game was a cracker. Very proud of our boys that night, Goldsack’s career was probably on the line and he played like it, nearly got himself killed going into some of those packs.

The post that kicked off your ongoing attempts at justifying your original quip about bitter Hawk minnows was by a Geelong fan... the clue lies within this fact.
Who are you to dictate what is a memorable game?

I enjoyed it greatly as was with Tiger supporting friends where the result was to me at least totally unexpected

2008 Richmond Brisbane at Etihad. John brown kicks 5 including a belter on the run from 50 but Joel Bowden swings forward and kicks 3 in the last including the winner with what must have been less than 10 seconds left. Atmosphere was so electric i ended up getting into the game and was off my feet with the goal
That game includes the highlight of Richard Tambling career

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was at this too

So Geelong fans should get their undies in a twist about the Hawks fan who said the Collingwood-Geelong game in '08 was the best neutral game they've seen then?

Dogs-Crows EF at the G in 2015. Plenty of intriguing storylines going in (Dogs in finals, Walsh) then an absolute corker of a game which went down to the last minute. Also both clubs' fans created a great atmosphere.

Showdown from 2008? Crows won by a kick

Couple of Crows got knocked out

Hugely physical game

Jericho, Vince etc the stars from memory

ANZAC Day 2009 - Zaharakis goal, enough said.

2014 Prelim, Hawthorn vs Port - Port should've had the game won at quarter time with their frenetic pressure and 3.9 on the board, Hawks grabbed control back and led by 6 goals halfway through the last before Port came from nowhere and nearly pinched it.

2015 Elimination Final, Dogs vs Adelaide - A modern day finals shootout with both teams scoring over 100 points and the Crows getting up by less than 2 goals.

1997 Prelim, Dogs vs Crows* - I was too young to properly remember or comprehend much of this, beyond simply that the Dogs had been a long way in front.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back